The Corroboree
Legba

Police blast drug culture after festival finds

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-30/police-blast-drug-culture-after-festival-finds/4164124

Police say the drug culture at Australian music festivals is getting worse, after a crack-down at the Splendour in the Grass event over the weekend.

More than 400 people were found with drugs including amphetamines, cocaine and ecstasy at Byron Bay, on the New South Wales north coast.

About 20,000 revellers were at the festival between Thursday and Sunday.

Officers searched 730 people and 30 vehicles during the operation, which also employed detection dogs.

They say they found 421 people with drugs, including six juveniles who will be dealt with under the Young Offenders Act.

Superintendent Stuart Wilkins says it is a major increase compared to recent festivals.

He says the message about illegal drugs is not getting across.

"Clearly there were people under the influence of drugs," he said.

"It is a culture, there's no question about it. The way forward I'm not sure, but whilst ever people take illicit drugs and posses illicit drugs, we have an obligation to respond to that."

Police also criticised the number of very drunk people at the festival, including one woman who elbowed a female officer in the face.

:bong:

Piggers gona pig.

Easy pickings for the police. They get to feel righteous and look like they're doing they're job.

Shouldnt the cops just be keeping the peace instead of harrassing an persecuting people who aren't causing trouble.

• Like 5

cos nobody took drugs to woodstock

• Like 3

If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.

• Like 5

Everything that cop said is fair enough. Dont hate the police they uphold/enforce the law, they dont make it.

• Like 3

Yes you are right eatfoo.

However it bugs me the measures the police are willing to go to, just to nail drug users.

'He says the message about illegal drugs is not getting across' Lol ahh the irony of that sentence.

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 6

^Yeah.. What was the message again? Was it "take them before entering the festival"?

• Like 2

Officers searched 730 people and 30 vehicles during the operation, which also employed detection dogs.

730 people? Can they just stop and search you, or is the simple fact that you are at a festival a good enough reason?

"Clearly there were people under the influence of drugs," he said.

Duh.

Police also criticised the number of very drunk people at the festival, including one woman who elbowed a female officer in the face.

So the only person to physically abuse the police was taking a legal drug? What does that say about:

1/ The total amount of aggression in festival culture, taking note of the fact it was insanely busy and a highly intense atmosphere

2/ Which drugs are most likely to bring out physical aggression

• Like 2

seriously tho its not a mystery that law enforcement will be at these places yet people continue to run the gauntlet> why is that?

"Officers searched 730 people and 30 vehicles during the operation, which also employed detection dogs."

In NSW police only need suspicion to search you, these powers were brought in after the cronulla riot & to the best of my knowledge are still valid, unfortunately every festie goer apparently appears suss to a pig...

730 people? Can they just stop and search you, or is the simple fact that you are at a festival a good enough reason?

In NSW I think they can use sniffer dogs (which bypass the whole "reasonable suspicion" thing) at any pub, club or festival, or on any inner-city Sydney trainlines without a warrant. To search elsewhere - eg. along Oxford Street, or at RBT stops, they need to get a warrant. But as of the last report I read on the topic, no request for such a warrant had been refused.

The numbers I would be really interested in are the ones showing how many people actually get charged out of those 421 - afaik most "drug busts" using sniffer dogs are actually just 'warnings' for possession of tiny amounts of cannabis.

To their credit, the police involved seemed a lot more concerned about drunks, at least in the lead-up to the event.

Still, it doesn't really seem sporting to go after people at festivals.

Its like shooting ducks in a pond. Not very sporting.

Do they seriously think these people are a danger to themselves and others.

Just so backward. And tragic.

• Like 1

Everything that cop said is fair enough. Dont hate the police they uphold/enforce the law, they dont make it.

post-1250-0-08839300-1343674206_thumb.jp

Ohhh, poor cops. It's a sad day indeed when people on these forums are defending the poor misunderstood police.

If they uphold and enforce unjust laws they are part of the system that oppresses us.

Anyone that uses their power in this way deserves to be criticized and, yes, hated by those they persecute.

Don't kid yourself, they love doing stuff like this, if they didn't agree with it they would speak out and say they think it's a waste of police resources (as some do).

But really why would they risk chasing dangerously violent criminals when you can pick on a bunch of sexy kids having fun at a music festival?

post-1250-0-08839300-1343674206_thumb.jpg

post-1250-0-08839300-1343674206_thumb.jpg

Edited by chilli
  • Like 6

it so easy to bitch and moan about "unfair justices" when you are sitting behind a computer screen, i wonder what would really happen to laws if people redirected that energy to actually create some change.

• Like 1

post-1250-0-08839300-1343674206_thumb.jp

Ohhh, poor cops. It's a sad day indeed when people on these forums are defending the poor misunderstood police.

If they uphold and enforce unjust laws they are part of the system that oppresses us.

Anyone that uses their power in this way deserves to be criticized and, yes, hated by those they persecute.

Don't kid yourself, they love doing stuff like this, if they didn't agree with it they would speak out and say they think it's a waste of police resources (as some do).

But really why would they risk chasing dangerously violent criminals when you can pick on a bunch of sexy kids having fun at a music festival?

what are you talking about man?

forget about all those people that had their days ruined or worse... those poor little policemen that probably have in house competitions seeing who can make the most drug arrests... they're cleaning up the streets man, it's so important.

it's the people's fault, they know it's illegal man

it is my pleasure to announce the promotion to the now senior constable jones, jonesy has made 300 drug arrests this month alone, keep up the good work buddy, maybe next year you'll because the police commissioner and maybe you'll even have a little pseudo-eph thing happening on the side. we wish you all the best.

so everyone grab a beer and take a big drink for senior constable jones.

Edited by chnt
  • Like 2

Because it's a fuck sight easier searching innocent, non-aggressive kids having a good time and not hurting anyone (unless they are drunk, of course) than it is working through the accounts of big businesses trying to figure out just where that money trail really leads. The undercover cops who try to penetrate environmental groups should go undercover into corporations and banks to get some real info on who's illegally destroying society, I reckon.

• Like 2

In NSW I think they can use sniffer dogs (which bypass the whole "reasonable suspicion" thing) at any pub, club or festival, or on any inner-city Sydney trainlines without a warrant. To search elsewhere - eg. along Oxford Street, or at RBT stops, they need to get a warrant. But as of the last report I read on the topic, no request for such a warrant had been refused.

[insert most relevant expletive here]. We should combat these tactics by forcing all festival goers to walk through footbaths of something that's going to confuse the hell out of those poor little doggies I reckon.

• Like 1

It would be amazing to see some sort of flash mob protesting sniffer dogs at festivals by making it impossible to do there job.

As individuals we are powerless against sniffer dogs but if we stand together on the issue it would be very interesting to see what would happen next.

Im not very keen on the Big Day Out line up this year so maybe it should be the first target.

Seriously how many people and how many Big Day Outs do you think it would take before this became a serious issue?

Imagine turning on the ABC news to hear protestors at all Australian Big Day Outs have successfully disrupted police sniffer dog operations by spreading bong water around the venue making the sniffer dogs useless.

The protestors spokesman released a statement to the media saying that until the police stops targeting the youth for carrying small amounts of marijuana they we would continue to disrupt them.

Together we could stop tragedies like this one. http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/teenager-dead-after-drug-overdose-at-big-day-out-20090202-7v9v.html

• Like 5

Cat urine? Might make it smell a tad unpleasant, perhaps rose water as well? Or just mad combo's of things - peppermint oil, even meat. Bong water is good, but trying to defend your actions in a court of law - where did you get the bong water etc. Flash mobs are good too.

• Like 1

Imagine a scratch and sniff sticker that smelt like something that triggered the dogs.

You could hand out thousands of them at train stations leading up to the event and everyone that isn't holding could stick them on their shoes.

Then one person could carry the marijuana while 4 of his/hers friends walked straight up to the dogs as decoys.

Edited by DreamTimeBliss

No, they dont make the laws but they chose to be a cop!!! so they must agree with the laws.

it pisses me off when a cop says "i dont make the laws buddy" in a sorry sort of voice.

Then you reply "well you chose your job so you must agree with them??? No one made you be a cop" ego trippin drones.

i really cant believe you think that Eatfoo

Edited by Bush Turkey
  • Like 2

Considering how poor sniffer dogs are (there was an Ombudsman report on this a few years back), imagine how many people *actually* had drugs and didn't get caught.

Ahh yes, the Nuremberg Defense..

Edited by SYNeR
  • Like 1

Together we could stop tragedies like this one. http://www.watoday.c...90202-7v9v.html

"We try and create a safe environment for these people to go and enjoy and we will extend that where we can to minimise harm on young people."

i wonder if they have any idea what harm minimisation actually means...

• Like 2

No, they dont make the laws but they chose to be a cop!!! so they must agree with the laws. it pisses me off when a cop says "i dont make the laws buddy" in a sorry sort of voice. Then you reply "well you chose your job so you must agree with them??? No one made you be a cop" ego trippin drones. i really cant believe you think that Eatfoo

Well, hate to break it to you buddy, but not all cops become cops just so they can get off arresting children for minor drug offences. They have other roles too, like investigating robberies, violent crime, stabbings etc. I imagine most of them would find street duty at a festival pretty bloody boring compared to more serious police work.

I think some of you forget all the good that our police do for our community as a whole. I can think of a number of places in the world where is not a well-functioning police service, and I imagine people there would have lot less freedom than we do.

If you want the drug laws changed, go after your politicians, not your police force.

Edited by Alice

i suppose its not really going to be a mystery that dance events will be targeted so if doing drugs is your thing then realistically it must be on peoples minds that there is a high percentage of coming under suspicion via dogs pat downs whatever> besides the civil liberty agument which is a real argument i suppose in my opinion its a bit nieve to even bother when the law is against you to even bother to try it< is it really worth it>if i have to act like some kind of thai drug courier just to gain entry to an event no matter how cool it may be then i think common sense isnt being followed< surely you play the percentages and cut your losses and just dont fall a sucker victim to this obviously telegraphed police tactic