The Corroboree
goneski

Good Petri Dishes

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting into agar work and was wondering if I should go for plastic or glass petri dishes.

Is anyone able to recommend one above the other, and where I might obtain them from?

I've read of people buying the presterilised plastic ones from places like Wiltronics only to find they're not so sterile.. For this reason, I'm more keen

on getting autoclavable glass (or whatever else -- polypropylene?) ones.

Is anyone able to suggest whether I should go for plastic, glass, polypropylene and where to get em from?

I've also read glass ones are a bit awkward / unwieldy to use, and depending on the type of glass, will break quite easily.. I really like the idea of pressure cooking and reusing though.

Cheers

PS: I'm glad SAB is back.. I was experiencing severe withdrawals..

EDIT: another option i've read of is to use baby food jars, with the added bonus you can keep them sealed up and have an injection port..

Edited by SYNeR

Last week i melted all my plastic petri dishes in the pressure cooker.

I only PC'd them for 15 mins at 15 psi.

Either there is a better way to sterilize them for re use or glass is the way to go.

wiltronics have borosilicate petris...they have lasted me quite sometime,as im a cheapskate and prefer glass over PP for obvious reason of durability...with some parafilm they seem to be fine...

Edited by applesnail

Keep your eyes open for small No.5 recyclable takeaway style" containers like those used for sauces.

Sorting-Plastics.jpg

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 2

I bought 24 dishes from http://www.proscitech.com.au earlier this week, they seem to be of better quality and fewer were cracked than the ones I got from wiltronics the other day, though the proscitech dishes were a bit more expensive. I generally stick to glass, though they can be a bit slippery with isopropyl on your gloves.

1/2 pint jars work aswell, I used them before I got any dishes, though they're a bit fiddly to get the lids on and off in the glovebox.

Edited by Argyreia

I use little takeaway containers, like those that you get sweet and sour sauce in. I buy them at the markets for i think $5 for 50 or something like that.

Just like waterboy says, check that theyre number 5. Mine go through quite a few cycles in the Autoclave and breathe just right too for me.

• Like 3

I have a book on growing mushrooms that says you can re-use and sterilise the plastic ones by washing them first then swirling a bit of peroxide in both the base and the lid and then putting them in the mircowave until the peroxide evaporates off. I haven't tried it yet.

I use plastic ones that seem to last quite a few cycles.

Just dont crack the lids when you take your agar out.

They are like the chinese takeaway containers.

Genfac plastics in Melbourne make them.

Not sure on price or minimum orders but there website is

www.genfac.com.au

Still a good ides to use clingwrap or parafilm or a clip seal bag as some contams can creep in around the edges, but have been generally pretty good containers

• Like 2

i went down to my local chinese joint and they had these litle sause containers i use them with a little agar there awesome

i done about 50 in a batch so i will update with photos

“Both types of Petri dishes can be resterilized using hydrogen peroxide and a microwave oven:

1. Wash the plates thoroughly with dishwashing detergent, taking special care to completely remmove any remaining agar,

2. Pour a small amount of 3% peroxide into each dish and swirl it around to expose it to the entire inside surface of the plate. Repeat with its cover, and place it on the dish,

3. Place the stack of dishes in the microwave and heat on medium power until all of the peroxide on the plates has been driven off,

4. Use the plates immediately, or store them in a clean plastic bag until needed

This procedure is most effective when combined with the use of peroxide in agar cultures”

(L.G. and K. Ogame, pp35-36, 2006)

Thanks heaps for the suggestions.. I've actually been reading the same book. It's not bad but does seem to gloss over things a little.

I'm still quite fond of glass petri dishes, but if you get into isolation, sectoring, etc.. It would be too expensive and impractical.

The little chinese sauce containers seem like a good idea.. Cheap, too.

I suppose if I do go for glass, I'll just buy a few and see how I find them rather than splurge on something I might dislike,

Edited by SYNeR

i love the chinese containers I made a little injection hole ad agar and pressure cook them i think we are on to a scientific breakthrough

and you could post them really easily El Presidente my hat goes off to you

Baby food jars. Seriously.

If you don't have them, any small jar will do. Fill half to two-thirds full with agar, tilt, allow to set.

If you live near an asian grocer they often have tubes of them, clearly I'm on the sauce container bandwagon. Not being able to use a plastic petri dish twice was a rather messy and disappointing discovery.

Plastic is preferable. When you work with agar you tend to need a lot of petri dishes and the glass ones aren't cheap. Plastic petri dishes are also not as slippery and won't break easily. If they're the right kind of plastic, such as polypropylene, then you can sterilise them in a pressure cooker/autoclave. Also, you should be using parafilm with your petri dishes to prevent contamination. I use Wiltronics for petri dishes and I have found no problem with them.

• Like 1

Thanks again for the replies.

Based on migraineur's post, and from what i've read elsewhere. I'll go polypropylene as the glass ones do seem expensive

Don't forget the parafilm to help prevent contamination. Shop around for it online.

• Like 1

i love them i got about 200 for five bucks from the noodle shop i dont really think they are worth saving if they get contams

• Like 1