The Corroboree
opiumfreak

anxiety

opiumfreak - I'm assuming you're taking some kind of MAOI-inhibitor because of the concern about passionflower interactions - is that correct?

In answer to your question, I can only repeat what others have said:

Taking sedatives (whether herbal or prescription) every night is no solution. You need to find the source of your anxiety. This could be psychological, and helped by meditation, therapy, a change in routine... Or it might be physiological, some kind of neurotransmitter/hormone/etc imbalance, which needs to be chemically corrected - there are even vitamin/nutrient deficiencies which can cause depression/anxiety. Or it could be some combination of the two. Getting some exercise each afternoon is likely to help with either kind.

Like LAWF, I would recommend St. John's Wort for depression-related anxiety. But this is in the role of 'preventative' - you would need to take it as a daily anti-depressant, not an as-needed insomnia cure. You may have already been down this path with the prescription anti-depressants, but it might be worth trying St. John's Wort at some point too. Just be wary of interactions with your meds - you will probably need to take a break from them to try St. John's Wort. Also be aware that it can make you sunburn more quickly.

I get similar problems, usually in the evenings - i.e. WAY too much adrenaline kicking around my body. I have found that when I'm depressed, this quickly turns into anxiety attacks. But if I can get the depression under control, then it just becomes harmless excess energy - I clean the house & talk too fast & write long rambling disjointed posts on forums...

G'day Opiumfreak, It looks like you have plenty of information already,but l thought l would share my helpers",First l have had so called Anxiety and panic attack Dis-Orders for 20+yrs and all sorts of Medications". BUT I found this as well, Melatonin at.bed time works wonders and l think there is scientific Prof. Micro doses of Syrian rue extract ,MULUNGU, I think that is how it is spell's, it's from Sth America and is used for this purpose, Skullcap helped me lot's as well.Good luck and l wish you a the best l know how hard it is...

^rue will have similar afforementioned interactions with opiumfreaks meds

I've suffered from anxiety disorder for many years, so I really feel for you. I've never really had any luck with and natural remedies or medications. A lot of people seem to be saying 'find the source of your anxiety', but that doesn't necessarily always help. You can know the source, know exactly why you're anxious, logic and rationalise and CBT it to death, and still be just as anxious. Yeah, it is obviously important to have an idea of why, so you can work on changing it, accepting it, etc... but I've never found it to be that simple. I think the more important point is learning to manage the anxiety, cope with it, regardless of the source. We all suffer from anxiety at some point in our lives, it's how we deal with it that's important, whether we let it control us or we stay in control of it.

I would definitely say that things like body scan meditations, general meditation (especially guided because it's just way easier), mindfullness techniques and yoga are really good places to start. At the moment I'm using a body scan meditation by Jon Kabat Zinn, you can just download it online. Or try youtube videos like chnt said. Diaphragmatic breathing has also been proven to be really important/helpful when it comes to managing anxiety, it's such a simple thing but it's worth trying. Body scan meditations are really good I think, they really guide you through the process of relaxing your whole body and being mindful, they're not as challenging as other types of meditation and if you find one that resonates with you it can definitely help if you keep practising. An important thing to remember though is that there isn't really any 'quick fix' with anxiety (except for benzos which I think should only be used in absolute emergencies, not long term or regularly), so whatever you do will take time and effort to actually have an impact, which does make it hard to stay motivated but it's so important with these things to actually maintain them/build a routine. You can always start small, like 10 minutes a day, just doing part of a meditation or part of a yoga routine.

All the best with it, hopefully you can find something that works for you and starts to help soon.

• Like 4

I love these one lined posts from the OP. ALLWAYS THE SAME.

1. He posts a very non descript request for info.
  2. Folks write pages of great info
  3. The OP doesnt read any of it
  4. OP posts simular thread 3 months later

• Like 3

Definitely agree with fairy - sometimes there is no reason for your anxiety. I found mindfulness exercises directly helped me manage my anxiety, but also led to insights as to the underlying causes.