The Corroboree
Stillman

Whats the make of this trichocereus

Question

I was very fortunate to receive some very nice pieces of trichocereus from Nothinks today, Looks like there could be two different hybrids amongst the mix? I am extremely impressed with one of the pieces it has a really nice robustness to it, longer spines on the established growth and nice blue tone. I think its a hybrid of sorts was just hoping to narrow down some parentage more than anything. Any and all guess welcome and again thank you very much Nothink for being unbelievably generous.

Ok heres photos from bottom of cutting to the crown

DSCF2001-14.jpg

DSCF2002-13.jpg

DSCF2004-9.jpg

DSCF2006-7.jpg

and in its entirety

DSCF2007-5.jpg

its a beauty.

• Like 7

I am no expert, but I do have one almost identical in my collection which came labeled as pach x peru. Shows the same spination and blueing, will posts pics for you asap. I cannot remember which member sent me these over a year ago.

D00d

• Like 1

Im very interested in this too.

I also send out my heartfelt thanks to nothinks. He also sent me a package containing about 5 cuts - all postage included.

You are a champion my friend.

PM me your postage details and i shall send you a generous thank you package at the end of the week when i send off the few trades I have backed up.

Looks like some kind of hybrid PC. A nice looking mongrel indeed.

Edited by tipz
  • Like 1

I was thinking it may have some pach pc but the spines seem different I thought maybe some scop, I noticed on one of the other pieces that is over 50 cm, that it has added a rib which is very scop like?

Hi Stillman, Im not too experienced with cactus but the spine formation looks very similar to one of my Peruvianus, especially at the bottom. But generally they are fairly well spined all over so maybe its crossed with a pach? I highly doubt it is PC pach because if the blue and dark colour. I have a few PC pachs and its obvious to the trained eye that they are different to my genuine pachs. But i dont own a scop so cant help u any more. Anyway nice cuts mate, take it easy.

Its so hard to I.D Trich's, But a guess would be a Pach/Peru cross.

• Like 5

It has such a beautiful blue hue to it. a very nice looking clone.

Nothinks sent me more than i need, so if someone would like a cut I would be happy to gift one on and keep the love rollin. first one to post below requesting it shall receive and ill cover postage. May take me a week or so to get it in the post though, but I'm sure that wont be an issue :)

Nothinks, do you know anymore of the origin of this lil beauty ?

• Like 1

Its good to know they are in a better place, I know vegies not Cacti. If I couldnt find a home for these babies they would have been doomed or planted in Council roundabouts :)

Unfortunately I don't know anymore of the origin but am looking into it.

Would love to see a pic of a flower guys if you can get it to bloom as I have never witnessed one myself.

appears to be a true pach & not the standard pc pach. true pach's have the deep bluing and exhibit longer spines than pc.

• Like 2

My goal is to see it flower this coming Summer, Autumn, hoping for some black hairs on that flower.

I am no expert, but I do have one almost identical in my collection which came labeled as pach x peru. Shows the same spination and blueing, will posts pics for you asap. I cannot remember which member sent me these over a year ago.

D00d

hmm, i was going to say "short spined peru", not that that means anything with trich's variation

• Like 1

An update, I really like this clone, nice colour, I have it in a little hot house and it seems to be fairly happy. Am looking forward to see some growth from this piece and hopefully some flowers down the track.

DSCF2113-1.jpg

DSCF2114.jpg

DSCF2115.jpg

• Like 1

would love a small cut or pup of this if possible.

shouldnt really be getting any more tricho's tho but...

• Like 2

would love a small cut or pup of this if possible.

shouldnt really be getting any more tricho's tho but...

Lol ! I hear you man , I keep telling myself the same thing, and then along comes another good looker. Seriously I have to stop , It's driving the Mrs mad !

• Like 2

Kinda looks like Rob from interbeing but the long spines definitely make it stand out from it + Rod has reddish short spines.

I will do my best to share this one around in the future. Hopefully I can get some seeds out of it but I have been talking to Nothink and he may have another middle piece. If I can get my hands on it. I will plant it lying down and BAP it and see how many pups it will push for me.

I have a clone very similar if not the same...... My awesome memory is serving me not again today, have to wait till I go out to the farm. The very first pic it looks heaps like the bogan clone, too hard to ID random trichos. Nice plant none the less!

• Like 1

Very generous, already thinking about sharing it around :) .

Just wanted to ask, is that the best way to plant mid cuts (logs)? I have a few & was wondering whether to lay them down or plant them upright.

Well I'm not real sure if its the best way, but for mass propagation using Bap6 and lying a piece down will definitely produce a shit tonne of plants quick.

• Like 2

Heres a pic of another piece from the very generous Nothink, its a very similar clone to the above but has only 7 ribs. Its a big bit on its side with three pups

DSCF2106.jpg

• Like 1

Heres a pic of another piece from the very generous Nothink, its a very similar clone to the above but has only 7 ribs. Its a big bit on its side with three pups

a>

similar as in the same or from a different plant all together?

i seemed to get the impression the Nothink only had the one motherplant...?

or did he send you a few different types of plants,,

H

Very generous, already thinking about sharing it around :) .

Just wanted to ask, is that the best way to plant mid cuts (logs)? I have a few & was wondering whether to lay them down or plant them upright.

I dont know much about cactus but have noticed the one I have had start growing lying down definately pump out pups but seem to be more prone to develop scale looking things. Maybe to prevent that lie them on a slight angle to help moisture and water run away.

similar as in the same or from a different plant all together?

i seemed to get the impression the Nothink only had the one motherplant...?

I did have five mother plants but have had to send them south. One of the five did show distinct variations from the other four though, this is the cactus in question.

Another variation I noticed with this cactus when digging it up was its main roots were alot thicker and further spread then the other four.

And all of heard from my mate so far is he thinks they came from a house in NNSW some where.

Oh yeah Stillman the new growth on that looks awesome.

Edited by Nothink
  • Like 1

or did he send you a few different types of plants,,

H

Yeah he got a couple of different cuts the second image may be different from the first... I cant tell from the photo :( Stillman will know :)