The Corroboree

So two days ago I thought it was time I reinstall windows... been meaning to do it for awhile but for some reason that day I went out and bought a new harddrive and got my neighbour's cat to download windows 7 for me, so i could bring it over my house and burn the cd.

As i'm burning windows my computer crashed and forced me to do a hard restart. However my installed copy of windows has broken, it won't boot up at all.

Now... the interesting thought is whether my operating system would've crashed if i hadn't bought the new harddrive/burnt windows.

I BOUGHT A HARD DRIVE AND DOWNLOADED WINDOWS BEFORE MY COMPUTER CRASHED!

I'd say it's 99% misleading pattern recognition... but it's still kinda cool.

Anyone have any similar but more interesting experiences they'd like to share with the class?

all the time.

go to the shop to buy a few things, little voice say i should buy milk/bread/butter. na got plenty at home.

get home, shops have closed, go to: make a cup of tea/sandwhich/cook mushrooms. crap, out of milk/bread/butter.

I live with others in my house, and am out from very early till late, so its not an unconscious remembering that im out/almost out of things.

But its curious that i get the idea to buy things when i know i dont need to , but in reality do..

Cheers, Ob.

{edit:} Carl Jung had a term, syncronicity, that sort of covers these types of phenomena.

Edited by obtuse

synchronicity. yes, the more you see it the more you realise how prevalent it is, and how unlike co-incidence too which is quite random. psychic exercises help tune you in

may be an example of the same phenomenon measured here?

"It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards" says the queen from Alice in wonderland

[edit: nice tags :)]

Edited by bulls on parade

yeah i had this underwater base once me and the flying cats running a counterfeit copy of windows se7en trying to hide from the zen monkeys of voodoo capitalism while they tried to feed us bad medicine as a game of tit for tat i kinda knew we shouldn't have done that

• Like 1

Its also like when you've been waitimg for an important phone call, or a visitor to turn up, and they havent and you have other stuff you need to go and do.

so you finally decide to leave your house, only to hear the phone ringing once you've shut the front gate, or for them to pull in the drive once you've walked 5 or 10 metres down the street.

It wierd how it happens. I often end up wondering whether you can force it to happen by leaving earlier than you normally would.

Cheers, Ob.

Edited by obtuse

haha that's the whole, if you're waiting for a bus light up a cigarette and it'll come instantly thing.

When I was a young tacker I had a crush on a girl I'd see only occasionally around town. Maybe once or twice a year. I knew she lived relatively near me but it was completely random when I saw her. One day I was driving home and I was utterly compelled to visit a local shopping area as I might see her there. So I did. I drove to the newsagents there, despite not really needing anything to buy and low and behd she walked into the newsagents! I totally froze up and didn't talk to her. I vowed from that day on the next time I saw her I would say hello no matter what. About a year later I see her, in the same shopping area. This time as luck would have it I saw her while sitting in a bloody hairdressers getting my hair cut! I had that robe on and locks of hair everywhere. She glanced me a nice look. 'no matter what' I had told myself. Well I couldn't exactly jump out onto the street looking like that. So I had found out her name previously (another long story full of syncronicity - but in essence I was thinking about her one day while reading the paper and next page she was pictured in a local hockey team - I remembered her name). I went home looked through the white pages and rang her up. She of course had no idea who I was except the guy getting a haircut - but we ended ip chatting for 2 hours. She was a cool girl. I didn't up dating her cuz she had to leave that night to go back abd study in another city but I Was glad everything went the way it did. She was no longer a stranger and about 2 years later she transferred to back to our hometown and went to my uni. I had just broken up with a long term relationship. I naturally pounced on her and got her. Syncronicity man, whatever it is, it would never have happened had I not been compelled to visit the shopping area all those years back. I still to this day don't know why my brain was forcing me to go there - how it could know...or more logically it didn't know but was subliminally suggesting the best location I could meet her.

• Like 2

nice ^ .. it's like in chemistry if you create the ideal conditions for a certain reaction to happen, it probably will happen. i think people unconsciously orchestrate syncronistic events, both good and bad ones. the strange thing is it seems like it must be done with transfers of information from (?) somewhere that's not you .. Bem's retroactive priming in the link above reverses the normal order of subliminal priming experiment (widely repeated effect) from: prime - stimulus - response, to stimulus - response - prime .. and gets significant results. the possibility of information from the future affecting measures of decision speed in the past. just reminds me of what you said obtuse its like the event of discovering no milk in the future is somehow connected to the decisions you'd be making in the present, like a 2 way memory almost

about an hour ago i was standing there in my girlfriends room in my boxer shorts that have a print of the crotch of the statue of david on them. my girlfriends brothers name is david & he always walks around the house in his boxer shorts. randomly i thought it might be funny to buy him a pair for his birthday & jokingly suggested it to my girlfriend & she was like oh shit what is the date? i told her & it turns out it's his birthday today & she had totally forgot. he lives on the other side of the world now, i barely know him & i had no idea when his birthday was & i never talk about him..

very simple & easily explained by co-incidence but funny all the same seeing as now i just read this thread

i think it's god telling you to get a mac.....

nice stories, I love synchronicity! weather, love interests and computers seem especially susceptible to strange occurrences. I seem to have developed a strange ability to predict when it will rain and when it will become clear, which is pretty difficult here in Germany as the clouds pass over reality fast; one minute it will be pouring rain, then blue sunny sky the next. last week a power surge fried my laptop power supply and was without computer for a week. turned out to be exactly what I needed, a week engrossed in books instead of a computer screen. not really a huge synchronicity, but an interesting case of the universe "giving you what you need, not what you want".

also love the ability of the radio to sometimes announce the truth of a situation, either through a song or equivocation of a sentence from the news etc, especially when a group of people all know it but are most unwilling to admit it out loud. and how looking at people, even when its the back of someones head even in a crowd, can lead to them somehow know to look at exactly the right time to make eye contact or gesture

When I was younger I used to be able to predict what repeat episode of the simpsons was going to be on each night. My sister would ask me while we were walking home from school and I'd tell her, then at 6 the exact one I mentioned would come on without fail. It was a pretty useless thing to be psychic about but a bit of fun each afternoon.

That is a cool skill. Do you still have it?. which simpsons am i going to watch this afternoon?

Cheers, Ob.

Walking down my driveway I glance into my neighbours yard, I see two black cats humping, do a double-take and realise it is a garbage bag...the silouette of the bag just made it look like two cats making the love. I continue walking down the street, several minutes later, I glance up a driveway and what do I see: Two black cats humping.

Walking back to my car at the supermarket I find a cute blonde girls licence on the footpath, pick it up and put it in my wallet with the intent to do my good deed and drop it in the mail. That night I have a strange craving for a cheeseburger...WTF...I hate McDonalds...I follow my urge and pull up to the drive-thru. Cute blonde girl whos licence I found earlier serves me.

• Like 1