The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mutant

Dangers / problems of growing cacti in the greenhouse [burns]

Hey I am new in greenhouse cultivation, my GH is an exposed to the wind place, so this creates problems the hot days which are stormy.

Cacti and succulents with begin to bake or slightly burn, depending on the extremity of the situation, when the GH is closed so temps are rising to VERY HOT.

I will put more shade cloth in the edges and where I have the stands with cacti, and hope that temps in automn and winter, when I will be having to close the windows will be low enough for them to be happy and not get burnt.

Do you have any suggestions?

are cacti more hardy with extreme heat when watered or when less watered?

you will likely still need venting during cooler times, consider an indoor outdoor thermometer like this to monitor you peaks and valleys...

and also an auto vent opener like this to prevent accidental rise in temps

in windy conditions a safety strap over the glazing being opened by such an opener is a must!

have you posted pics of said greenhouse before Mutant?

Here in OZ I actually put shade cloth over the Hothouse, if I didn't all my pretties would be burnt, even under the winter Sun. And one of those Max high max low thermometers are worth there weight in gold imo.

I have an auto vent that opens when it gets hot ( I don't know how hot) I got it off ebay for 10c plus $20 postage - they don't sell them for 10c any more :)

I also have shade cloth over and around mine all year round. I have found my plants get the most sun damage in winter - I think they are less able to cope with the stress while dormant.

For my glass greenhouse - I'm going to mix up a thin white paint and paint it on the two sides that get the most sun.

• Like 2

I have a length of fencing wire running down either side of the glasshouse up along the roof/wall junction with shadecloth clipped to it so it can slide along.

The idea was that i could pull it out to provide shade or slide it back to the end to let more sun in. That was the plan, the reality has been that it hasn't moved in years :blush:

Big differences in choice of materials used for glazing in green house construction.

Clear glazing (glass or plastic synthetics) requires shade cloth.

I built my gh's using smokey gray corrugated polycarbonate panels with built in UV blocker. I have sensitive plants immediately adjacent to the panels in full sun with no worries.

In the summer months I take the panels off the doors & cover them with shade cloth.

Its been my experience that certain plants like lophs & arios love the high heat / high humidity found in the upper areas of my gh, where the plants hang in hanging baskets from the rafters. But that's only because of the glazing I used & the conditions that exist in my area.

without shade for palnts that can hack it, you REALLY need to remember to water. here after 3 weeks of no water, disaster strikes, but i dont use shade cloth anywhere in there except one corner for new plants/seedlings/fresh grafts.

one other thing to keep in mind if where you live has extended heavy cloud, when those clouds disperse and the sun unleashes its hatred for all living things on your greenhouse, burn is everywhere. shade cloth is a fricken miracle for preventing that.

if i were to do things properly and get aroudn to it, i woul dalso be putting 50% shade cloth inside my greenhouse and making a false ceiling type thing over the benches. always put it on wire or something, its really nice to be able to spread it out or take it way in less than 5 mins.

thanks a lot for these suggestions kada.

I am too busy, but I will be back!

A product made by Sarlon called " Solagrow " is a type of tough plastic used for greenhouse roofs . It reduces UV a little , and all cacti thrive under it without sun burning . Also protects from rain . I never lost a specimen under it due to weather conditions , even with the extremes of NT . Wonderful stuff .

P1060976.jpg
  • Like 1

someone here clearly has a good case encepal cactinitus! :-)