The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Stillman

Ipomea species

LOve these plants. I have a couple Scarlet Oharas setting flowers in the Hot house. But today came across a patch of what looks like heavenly blue or similar today at an old farm, I grabbed a heap of fresh seeds from the plant and have some soaking.

Whats the legality of growing Ipomea violecea?

As I understand they are completely legal to grow otherwise popping up on pest species list? But illegal to send seeds overseas?

I just really like the look of the plant as an ornamental and want to grow it on my front fence. Don't want to draw any unwanted attention lol.

Also will Ipomea violacea cross with Ipomea nil? I'm hoping not as I grow both?

Also once I get a few plants going and a few extra seeds would love to trade with other fans of Ipomea. The farm I grabbed them from had 5 different types of Brugsmania as well, but I won't have the plant at my house as I have small children.

Any information would be grand

cheers.

I did some tricolour heavenly blue 4 years ago

they are awesome plants

they grow so fucking fast!

you reminded me I should be putting some too!

Another Q, I have had a look around the net and from what I can understand different species of ipomea will not hybridze? What do you guys think?

There are different groups within the genus, If i can remember what book it was in i'll post the reference. They wont generally hybridize with a species from a different group (EG's cement tech might over come their reluctance?) but will happily hybridize within their own group.

• Like 2

a couple photos The Scarlet O'haras about to flower.

DSCF2002-6.jpg

Some I batatas sweet potatoes, I had a look around the yard and found these tubers (only pretty small as they were growing in a crappy clay soiled area of the garden) I have taken a couple cuttings of the sweet potato vine. I struck it off a supermarket sweet potato a couple years ago don't want to lose it now, after always coming through with good tubers even when neglected.

DSCF2001-6.jpg

I think I may have a new obsession edible vine tuners. I'm going have to pick your brain again sometime soon shortly.

• Like 1

Crosses usually only happen within the species, but beware that some species are only recently split or might have been separated without good reason.

• Like 1

The Scarlet O'haras flowered but they look Hybridised some flowers have white throats some are one colour

DSCF2001-7.jpg

DSCF2002-7.jpg

DSCF2004-5.jpg

• Like 2

Thought I'd up datae the thread I ended up losing the Scarlet O'haras to some sort of pest. But came across this possible Ipomoea nil species

really vigorous and heavy flowerer.

DSCF2002-14.jpg

will have seeds of this one if anyone is interested I know I owe a member here some so anyone else just pm me if your keen.

and went out the back and saw the Ipomoea aquatica flowering. Nice flower too.

DSCF2004-11.jpg

• Like 3

That I aquatica clone is self fertile so you should have seed to spread about in a few weeks.

The broadleaf form has a pinky/violet flower, unfortunately i lost that one to a rouge boar :ana: I probably should hop on ebay & order some more.

• Like 1

a cuy boar lol those things can be ruthless. lol

Yup a big white marauding bugger that disappears into the undergrowth as soon as a door opens. Bloody thing mowed my highland pitpit the other night :uzi:

Sorry I can't help at all with info ... At a previous home long ago I sowed a variety [ I . Tricolour ? ] that grew flowers of 3 vivid colours - red , white , and purple . I can't recall if the different coloured flowers were on the same vines or not , but they looked great cascading down from a dead tree . I think they were a Yates variety . Looked for them often since , but suspect they're no longer available . A shame , because I really liked them . I think the sweet spud types are really important - they may become a " survival food " one day .....

• Like 1

Little heavenly blue putting out some nice big flowers

DSCF2001-18.jpg

DSCF2001-18.jpg

not sure why this is not showing?

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 2

Those heavenly blues have such a lovely colour to them!

My ololiuqui has just started flowering for the first time and they smell beautiful

does any1 know if i. setosa have any lsa propertiez??