The Corroboree
Thelema

indigenous opioid bark

Thanks for posting that seeker. I have an e-mail from you from 4 years back giving me this info, but I know it was given in confidence at the time so I felt bound by that. And my own searches for Quinn (ie Quine) were fruitless due to that spelling mistake in the original mail

Mmmmm.. The Australian Conspiracy / Urban Myth (not saying its fake mind you, just elusive).

I have run into talk like this before, I think anyone in this interest group has

& maybe you’re all just holding out on me :P

A good mate of mine swears that there is some relatively common

(well I guess that depends on were you live) plant that blows everything else out of the water.

Some sort of indigenous miss-classified cocaine relative or something (god knows what).

Now normally that sort of talk would just make me roll my eyes

& humour the poor sod, but this guy knows his shit, I mean really knows his shit!

(and YES he wont tell me what it is either)

The story/s always seem to have similarities:

The species name will never be told (for various reasons: research

= classified information of commercial value, fear of knowledge leading to it becoming illegal, abuse by biker gangs ect…)

The plant is X many times more powerful than (insert interesting drug name here).

Ever indefinable and always just out of reach!

Grrrr... :ana:

Its enough to drive the curious minded, in desperation, to discover something even better,

just so they can sit on the secret to spite everyone else! (or get some naive Lab Technician blind drunk & talkative)

How interesting.

I heard about this a few months ago from my hippy, who asked me to press further into the issue. I did some searching here and on google and came up with squat.

However it looks like this thread has all the info currently known by the opiate masses (no pun intended...ok ok maybe just a little one :P).

He will be much pleased, he always asks me about it.

I love you guys.

Ditto

(YoWiE you apologise, what for? and removed you’re post?

Dam now I have to edit too)

Oh. Also, my hippy had gotten it into his head that an Acacia was the source.

He had no idea that some Acacia contain DMT until I recently told him, so I seriously doubt he made the connection from that.

He says he saw a documentary about it on tv once (which is why he keeps asking me if I know anything new).

So maybe JumpedAngel was right?

Apo, you have you’re own hippy?

How did you get one? Is it like stray cats, you just leave a chop dish outside and they will rock up one day, did he/her find you or visa versa?

The guy I’m talking about is not a hippy, much too obsessed with material goods and his centre-link payments to fit that bill.

Awesome dude, he just blows my mind every time we talk, but is so wrapped up in paranoia that it’s contagious.

Is that like a: hint-hint nuge-nuge "Acacia"?

If only I wasn’t about as subtle as a gold brick wrapped in lemon, I bet I would know so much more that I do now.

Them’s the brakes kid.

oops i edited my post about asprin tree realising i was way off track sorry darkstar

Apo, you have you’re own hippy?

How did you get one? Is it like stray cats, you just leave a chop dish outside and they will rock up one day, did he/her find you or visa versa?

I dunno man! It just happened one day that I shared a pipe with a guy who has a daughter who is my age, and we have been mates ever since.

He's my hippy because I don't know any other people who were chemistry students in the 70's (and all that entails), who still own a functioning kombi van, whos done more acid than T (maybe? possibly? I dunno :P) and who still has original colour copies of Fat Freddy comics ;)

aww shucks Darkstar! just doin my bit for the community. :D

now all i need is to build a freshwater stream and to find some cuttings.....

any one know how to create an artificial, working, ecologically sound river?

Excellent Ymir!!!!! :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

I've been looking for the name of this species for years.

I found a PDF from 2005 on the subject. It's accesible through ACS Publications.

Excellent Ymir!!!!! :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

I've been looking for the name of this species for years.

Hi Torsten

Did you check this?

http://www.griffith.edu.au/er/gazette/pdf/gaz04_aug.pdf

The project involves evaluating the analgesic activity of several

novel natural products which have been isolated from the

Barringtonia acutangula plant – a mangrove found in northern

Australia, Asia and eastern Africa.

Professor Quinn said many species of Barringtonia had been

used as traditional medicines.

any one know how to create an artificial, working, ecologically sound river?

I would think a nice little windmill could get be an environmentally sound alternative to an electric pump, to cycle water, and a reed bed filter. Might be noisy, probably depends on the type of windmill.

Some were else on this forum I distinctly remember someone stated that they had a “pet” mangrove in bucket of mud!

bucket o' mud, now theres an idea. i may be able to get my hands on an old water tank, fill her with mud, magically materialise some rooted cuttings and BAM instant mangrove......erm grove.

ooooh starting to sound like hard but feasable work.

but FIRST we need someone to confirm the activity of this plant. 1 excited scientist + the media, may = story blown out of proportion.

sorry to play the devils advocate so early but a first hand assay is needed.

Plagiarise

It’s why the good lord gave you eyes,

Just remember, call it “research”

research:

There is anecdotal evidence from a group of Aboriginal people living in the Kimberley districts of North Western Australia that the bark of B. acutangula has potent analgesic properties. The bark is chewed to form a paste, which is applied externally to wounds, after which pain is said to be relieved quickly and the wound to heal rapidly.

The presence of high concentrations of sapogenins has been reported from fruit, seeds,leaves,branch wood, heartwood and bark of B. acutangula

Spectroscopic and chemical data led to the structure of one being assigned as 2,3,19-trihydroxy-olean-12-enedioic acid 28-O--D-glucopyranoside

ACS link:

http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/article.cgi/jn.../np049741u.html

Now all we need is someone with good id skills who lives in Kimberley districts of North Western Australia or near Lockhart River, east of Iron Range, Queensland, Mmmmm.... road trip

This site is apparently selling B. acutangula flowers essence:

http://www.essencesonline.com/AusBushmain.htm

"This flowering tree grows beside fresh water creeks, billabongs, and swamps in the Northern Territory"

post-1235-1131414644_thumb.jpg

post-1235-1131414793_thumb.jpg

Some were else on this forum I distinctly remember someone stated that they had a “pet” mangrove in bucket of mud!

yep that was me

it was the southern states species Avicennia marina collected in the port river, Port Adelaide

barringtonia should be just as easy in a bucket in the tropics

dang. just looked it up

this is the freshwater mangrove!

this would be even easier!

I think I was just looking too early. At the time I was making enquiries they were obviously not ready to publicise the name as it they were likely in patent negotiations. Now it seems to be everywhere. I already have a source for Barringtonias, so we should get them into the shop in a month or so.

wow! this is interesting :)

a mangrove...and beautiful flowers too!

maybe some chemically minded people here can make use of this?

-----

Acutangulosides A-F, monodesmosidic saponins from the bark of Barringtonia acutangula.

Mills C, Carroll AR, Quinn RJ.

Natural Product Discovery, Eskitis Institute, Griffith University, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 4111.

Nine triterpene saponins, acutangulosides A-F (2-7), and acutanguloside D-F methyl esters (5a-7a) and a single triterpene aglycone (1) were isolated from a water extract of the bark of Barringtonia acutangula. Their structures were assigned on the basis of spectroscopic data.

----

J Nat Prod. March 2005

link

This would be a nice specimin for in the caribbean ;)