The Corroboree
taozen

Are My Cacti Trichocereus Friends Rootbound Here?

Hey all, are these guys rootbound now? or should I leave them in there for a few more months. I've noticed it is true they grow better when rootbound as the ones I transplanted to bigger pots began deforming, so let me know.

thanks!

IMG_4268.jpg

IMG_4267.jpg

you have see through cups as pots and asking us if they are root bound?? heh just kidding, but it does look a bit slimy in there..

i don't know where you are but i'd repot them in spring for sure.

kind of difficult looking at those pictures, i mean, from the pictures they look ok. but yeah, the "slime" or whatever it is probably indicates inadequate drainage. i'd def repot them into the spring with some nice clean soil with good drainage.

I'd def recommend a re-potting in springtime myself~ Get some nice terracotta pots only a buck or two at bunnings.

what do you mean by deforming? That sounds interesting, got any pics, some deformity maybe part of the cultivar, some bridgesii grow strange like Bruce clone and a few others? They could all do with a real pot even just a bit bigger. Did you grow them from seed? Are they still under lights? You got some nice variety the bridgesii look real healthy what are the little round ones? T candicans? I think they look really healthy but would grow bigger quicker with a bit more soil.

you have see through cups as pots and asking us if they are root bound?? heh just kidding, but it does look a bit slimy in there..

i don't know where you are but i'd repot them in spring for sure.

lol yeah, these cacti where some of the first plants I ever germinated 2 years a go, I've come a long way now, but they just happen to've stayed on those horrible transparent cups, they do however make transplanting real easy as the soil sticks to the algae that forms and doesn't crumble, plus it might be feeding the cacti, or simply not, lol.

kind of difficult looking at those pictures, i mean, from the pictures they look ok. but yeah, the "slime" or whatever it is probably indicates inadequate drainage. i'd def repot them into the spring with some nice clean soil with good drainage.

algae and will do, thanks!

I'd def recommend a re-potting in springtime myself~ Get some nice terracotta pots only a buck or two at bunnings.

yeah I put the biggest ones on some terracota pots a while a go, check out the pic below.

Edited by taozen

what do you mean by deforming? That sounds interesting, got any pics, some deformity maybe part of the cultivar, some bridgesii grow strange like Bruce clone and a few others? They could all do with a real pot even just a bit bigger. Did you grow them from seed? Are they still under lights? You got some nice variety the bridgesii look real healthy what are the little round ones? T candicans? I think they look really healthy but would grow bigger quicker with a bit more soil.

here, I did grow them from seed, no lights needed, we have wonderful weather here in Guatemala. There's Pachanoi, Peruvianus, Bridgesii, and the round ones areTerschekii (also know as argentinian saguaro) in the pics. I'll transplant them all as soon as I get money for the pots! thanks guys!

IMG_4271.jpg

Edited by taozen
  • Like 3

they look great the deformaty may be due to them trying to lean towards the sun? Do you still have them in partial shade? Maybe they good start going in more direct light? Not sure how hot it is there. If you can put some in the ground they seem to like your weather in the ground they will go mental.

How long did the tersch take you to grow?

Your plants have nice colour to them. I would also get them out of those pots as soon as it's good weather for it as well, as I think the UV (although I'm not certain that some visible light getting through is a certain indication that UV goes straight through) will not be good for the soil edges (it'll kill micro-organisms needed for healthy plants, and allow bad micro-organisms to get a "clean install".)

Maybe keep a few in those type of pots, and put some in different pots and see how differently they grow. :D

nice plants

keep on the dry side during winter, especiallyif youdont have picked holes in that containers.

but they look cool alright!