The Corroboree
Stillman

Albino and variegated traits in Trichocereus seedlings

I havae noticed alot of trich hybrid seedlings are variegated or almost albino. I have grafted a few but the best one was a psycho0 x open pollinated, this was germinated mid February and I grafted it to peres soon after, it grew quickly then has done nothing I'm not sure if its the stock so repotted and will give it a few more months then I might re-graft onto something bigger.
Its got bugger all green in it at all just a little swirl at the base and a little in the crown.
And you know whats weird its got 9 ribs kind of looks like a Psycho0 x spachianus
DSCF2536.jpg
DSCF2537.jpg
DSCF2539.jpg

All the other seedlings from that container are green and seem average?

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 10

U could try grafting it to pach stock and see if this helps. If not, u could cut the top off and hope it pups. Try fertilizing the pere and give seaweed solution. Go-go juice seems to work wonders also.

ive had a few and all seemed to go through very slow growth phases and mine were grafted to trichs, you could also try BAP on it to help pups.

I'ver seen BAP but I have no idea what it is? got a link?

cool I will start hunting around for some then. I'm guessing it is available in OZ?

Ok thought I would add a few pics to this and anyone else who may have some cool albinoism can join in. These are not quite albino but definitely chlorophyl deficient. Don't look much like bridgessoids either lol.

DSCF2001-23_zpsa3f81971.jpg

DSCF2003-16_zps4943ebc0.jpg

DSCF2005-10_zps8d1d004a.jpg

also have a few offsets taking to some T bridgesii stock, fingers crossed. I have noticed they are extremely susceptible to rot at the graft join especially if they get wet in high humidity.

• Like 10

Thanks for the update mate, there are looking awesome :worship:

I will add a photo of my graft when it starts to grow, if it takes :P

those are beautiful man...

I've been through 3 albino hybrids and fucked them all up.. they are my only graft fails other than the ones that are growing slow
and the spachianus which hasn't done shit but get all wierd looking...

Beautiful pics!

My open pollinated Roseii #1 seedlings are mostly variegated - only about 3% survived, but of them 5 are variegated - I'll post pics when I get some time - really pretty little things - they are grafted which is the only reason they survived I do believe

• Like 3

I had a whole lot of Roseii (probably #1) that also carked it. I wasn't sure if they were albino or what. But now I also notice that (I think) zelly's bridgesii x validus seedlings also seem to be mostly deficient in chlorophyll.

• Like 1

^

What could cause this to occur to all the seeds in a fruit?

We crossed a scopulicola with a spachianus and all the seedlings which myself or others have grown contain almost no clorophyll. They look normal in the first 2-3 weeks then they fade very quickly to pale yellow and gradually die off.

Edited by bogfrog

Ok thought I would add a few pics to this and anyone else who may have some cool albinoism can join in.

post-1277-0-27480300-1361686785_thumb.jp

icaro

post-1277-0-22434500-1361686935_thumb.jp

back left to right- whiora x pc pach,scop, borzicactus samaipatanus(?)

every thing else is from this thread

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22036&hl=%2Bplant+%2Bpix+%2Bfor+%2Bferret#entry228119

post-1277-0-27480300-1361686785_thumb.jpg

post-1277-0-22434500-1361686935_thumb.jpg

post-1277-0-27480300-1361686785_thumb.jpg

post-1277-0-22434500-1361686935_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Nice pics!

I think there is something about the spachianus genetics - the Roseii #1 seedlings I have look distinctly spachianus, some of them.. Dunno why that would make a difference though..

They are all very impressive, would love someone to point me in the best direction to get cheap seeds/cuttings/own root of these species! I havent been collecting for too long maybe 12 months.. anyone wanting to trade or has anything for sale or give away it would be muchly appreciated!! :)

Hope you like the pics

post-12595-0-57423900-1361696591_thumb.j

post-12595-0-07905200-1361696725_thumb.j

post-12595-0-57423900-1361696591_thumb.jpg

post-12595-0-07905200-1361696725_thumb.jpg

post-12595-0-57423900-1361696591_thumb.jpg

post-12595-0-07905200-1361696725_thumb.jpg

Edited by Weazelloph

attachicon.gif2013-02-24-302.jpg

icaro

attachicon.gif2013-02-24-301.jpg

back left to right- whiora x pc pach,scop, borzicactus samaipatanus(?)

every thing else is from this thread

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22036&hl=%2Bplant+%2Bpix+%2Bfor+%2Bferret#entry228119

nice plants moses and thanks for posting that link lol, i was looking for it all last night to compare my verigated trich seedling graft and couldnt find it anywhere. :)

Lumberjackus crosses both ways seems to throw alot of albinos... I was waiting for someone else to say it but that's what was reported to me and in my first batch of 33 seedling , validus x lumberjack I counted 3 that I murdered :( well one just went clear on its own :rolleyes:

So i'll be going with another method next time...

if anyone wants to send me a Lumberjackus I'll Love you forever :wub:
but even if not i'll luv u anyways

:innocent_n:

what's Lumberjack again? Ss01 x SS02?

Lumberjack is a bridgesiioid (probably some sort of bridgesii X peruvianus). There's a mention of it is Trout's Notes on San Pedro on page 41.

Edited by mira

This is probably the wrong thread to post up pics of Lumberjack in all her glory.

Here's a thread on LJ origins.

• Like 1

T. Lumberjackus FTW! It looks like a bridgesii with an attitude problem.. Not that it isn't beautiful, but it def has a vibe..

• Like 1