The Corroboree
stavroski

grow lights

was just wondering why everyone mostly just uses the white flouros on their cactus. i'm going to put up a rig but my tendency is to also use the purple grow light as well as a cool white. do they not need the extra light spectrum? thanks

The grow lights produce more light in the wavelengths needed for plant growth, but tend to have a lower output per watt consumed.

They also cost a lot more so it's just a matter of economy really

You must decide if you want to pay more for something that most times is only slightly better (or no better) than standard fixtures.

The standard cool whites, warm whites and daylights etc don't have that purple glow either.

Also if you don't have that purple glow coming from your windows/shed etc it's a lot less likely that someone will assume that you are growing dope.

yep, that purple glow was what got my last rig stolen. if i had of had dope they might've left the rig, but just had vegie seedlings so they snaffled the rig (which was a real shitty one anyway).they left everything so nice and tidy i didn't notice for a couple of days (people we knew too!). now i've got bloody cameras! thanks for the info. happy to go with the white flouros, was just a bit perplexed about their usage with cacti. never heard of them being used as a standalone light source before so i've been assuming that the cactus don't like the purple light.

Edited by stavroski

The grow lights produce more light in the wavelengths needed for plant growth, but tend to have a lower output per watt consume

but they emit light less visible to human's eye, output in wattage the same.

They realy cost a lot more (Double or triple the price of ordinary lamps)

For growing purposes they are equal to warm light fluoros (2700-3000K).

So, if you want chipper lights, better go with warm lights.

P.S. - why the cacties dont like purple lights.

I use them, and seems there are no difference between ordinary T5 HO lamps and special T5 HO lamps.

Just have bought them to try, and now dont see the reason.

Edited by BBGONE

I find 2o watt cfls from Bunnings work a treat for seedlings.

thats what I am running with good results and the electric bill hasn't gone spastic so happy days

DSCF2004-7.jpg

• Like 1

It is better to have long t5 fluoros tubes.

There are a lot of aquarium lights setups on the market.

With long 16 mm tubes, the light spreads more evenly, and reflector is better used.

With CFLs a lot of light directed not down, but in every directions, and using them with reflector is less efficient.

But for simpler solution , CFL is OK.