The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Max Cady

stingray shoes, grow your own

I saw a brief news article on stingrays DNA being altered to produce different patterns just so they can be made into shoes. I found this completely abhorrent.

I like leather and animal products but this makes me sick.

Anyway look at their site and see what you think?

http://www.rayfish.c...p?chapter=about

<p>Disgusting.</p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

• Like 1

fuck me. what the fuck is wrong with us?

• Like 1

and some eel skin leather furniture to go with yr stingray shoes...these wankers even have elephant leather a whole array of dead skins!

http://www.rojeleath...rs/eel-leather/

"The source of all African elephant skins come from culls once the elephant heard reaches destructive numbers to African tribes and nature. It’s very similar to our deer season in the United States. Without culling often viewed as unethical many African tribes would loose their homes and possibly become trampled to death. Designers, manufactures, and leather enthusiasts should not feel emotional or have guilt for using this leather as we are not creating a demand rather using a by product. We deal with reputable international partners who abide by all regulations and we never sell poached hides."

Yeah like id believe that! Elephant herds reaching destructive numbers hmmmmm :scratchhead:http://www.bagheera.com/inthewild/van_anim_elephant.htm

Edited by applesnail

Aw yeah! I love the idea of having shoes with an inbuilt paralysing whip, to help me proactivly survive the peak hour commute.

Marine life never fails to amaze and accommodate my wishes. I raise my dolphinfin hat to the aquatic servants that enrich my life often.

• Like 5

not such a new thing, siamese fighting fish aren't so colourful in the wild, nor are roses or tulips. altering the colour of nature is part of mans transformation into the god we imagined.

Sounds pretty crazy and messed up. Although when you think about it, it's not to different to 'growing' cows for leather shoes. Only difference is the ability to customize the appearance. Either way, it still boils down to choosing comfort and style over life.

Im loving the texture of the stingray leather in Applesnail's link. I might buy some to use as a visual aid during psychedelic journeys

Thanks for the link !

The only people that can really create a fuss are the vegans & vegetarian members. Everyone else, if you eat meat, then you aren't obliged to feel guilt at having a mammoth scrotum for your Hummer's car seat covers, a baby giraffe's neck as a snooker cue bag and a parasol of porpise pelt.

• Like 2

The only people that can really create a fuss are the vegans & vegetarian members. Everyone else, if you eat meat, then you aren't obliged to feel guilt at having a mammoth scrotum for your Hummer's car seat covers, a baby giraffe's neck as a snooker cue bag and a parasol of porpise pelt.

Fuckin A.

However, I understand the hypocrisy that comes with it. Whilst I am vegan and feel I am doing the world a good turn in not contributing to meat, dairy and related industries I am not oblivious to the fact that I sleep in sheets and wear clothes that were hand stictched by slaves in a far-off land; live in a house that is constructed of natural resources torn from nature; burn copious amounts of fossil fuels in my home life and trvael etc; have my superannuation invested in multi-national corporations that couldn't give a fuck about the wellbeing of anyone etc, the list goes on and on

• Like 1

and (I assume) you grow plants in which support population growth of insects, in which you would then proceed to kill with pesticides.

Create>Kill>Repeat. Every amateur botanist is a God, Dictator & Murderer all thrice in one!

If I'm going to accept that all of humankind is exploitative & cruel, I may as well do so with a tasty beef taco in my fist and a Burmese peasant for a housemaid.

• Like 1

Haven't launched a pesticide attack yet though I cam close earlier this year. Bought some stuff but later thought better of it before using it. So far the chooks we keep have helped out a bit as well as flicking the slugs over the fence etc - but then buy owning chooks we are supporting an industry that slaughters 1/2 of the species at birth, since the males don't lay eggs and aren't as desirable.

Create>Kill>Repeat. Every amateur botanist is a God, Dictator & Murderer all thrice in one!

Great quote

I don't accept that all of humankind is consciously exploitative and cruel, and besides - why define your moral behaviour relative to others? A little light is surely better than none, even if only to serve your own rightousness. Once you have been awakened to a lighter path but consciously choose to stay on a darker one, you are narrowing your opportunites for improvement.

There are many other valid reasons why you wouldn't want a beef taco or a peasant housemaid - that go far beyond the happiness of the slaughtered animal or the rights of the imprisoned slave.

In your example of the taco - your own health, the supporting of industries that contribute to greenhouse gas emissions, clearing of land, your own finances etc.

In your example of the housemaid - your own finances, the loss of connection with your own basic life experiences, continung/setting the precedent of keeping a demographic down in society, removing the person from their own family & demographic, etc

whilst I would dearly miss the immensely joyful experience of housework, I'm certain that won't be spiritually poorer for it if I never scrub a toilet again in my life. And to hire a woman for cleaning it stimulates the economy, feeds her children, and might just stop her from selling her minge to a dirty, rough street Joe just so she can put her kids through school. If I presently lived in a country with less opportunities for locals, I would have several staff to cook, clean and drive for me and not feel a single pang of guilt, knowing that their employment (cheap as it is to me) is of benefit rather than exploitation.

On the other hand, it's the exploited poor that we don't have direct control over that cause concern. I was in a variety store (Kmart or Target or some such) yesterday, and they had jeans for $8. EIGHT ! These retail giants don't give their stock away, and make a tidy profit, so too does the supplier. Who are the poor bastards on the other end of the denim route? They must be getting about 10 cents per pair of duds made. With the Chinese economy in overdrive, and industry pumelling along, everything's getting CHEAPER as the years progress.

I'm aware of this being mentioned earlier, I am just putting my own spin on it. If we are ALL responsible by our buying actions, in the exploitation of the poor, then unless I remove myself entirely from the cycle, any token gesture of moral abstinence is rather trite.

Quite frankly, I cannot afford to pay $500 for a pair of Australian made boots (I'm talking RM Williams) where worker conditions are of a high standard, when the same shoe from Asia can be had for 1/5th of the price. What to do?

• Like 2

So far the chooks we keep have helped out a bit as well as flicking the slugs over the fence etc - but then buy owning chooks we are supporting an industry that slaughters 1/2 of the species at birth, since the males don't lay eggs and aren't as desirable.

It's ironic that if you ceased being a vegan, and ate those chooks, you would be contributing more positively to the chain of events than you are presently engaged in. Maybe a vegan-free day once a week is in order, for a braised hen bonanza and a karmic ablution.

It's ironic that if you ceased being a vegan, and ate those chooks, you would be contributing more positively to the chain of events than you are presently engaged in. Maybe a vegan-free day once a week is in order, for a braised hen bonanza and a karmic ablution.

either that, or perhaps we open a big gay chook house so the males chase all the cock they want

• Like 1

Fckn transgeneics , its now franken- footwear..... hope they coded in some nano-particles while they were doing the splicing.

Who the comes up with these ideas. I am a barbarian, but WTF.

reminds me of the "Bonsai Kitten" joke.

but I can also eAsily imagine stingray leather shoes.

After many attempts I can safely say that Bonsai kittens dont work out in the long term.

im all for it//!!

if all you sushi eaters would eat some farmed ray sushi AND wear its leather on ur boot ur saving a life yeah? a cow, and something else lives, nay possibly 10's of thousands following the aftermath of trawling for your meal.

in a rounds about way. I would like my ray striped, with those flourescent pink and blue colours (wonder if the pigmentation stays on the hide well? theres some fancy rays.. hmm being a ray farmer cant be that hard asides from the sting bits but maybee we can breed that out as well, or maybee just move onto another edible species of ray without the spine. we can genetically engineer fish they supposedly have no feelings lets do it psylo, you and i. phat stacks.

INCOGDREAD RAY ENTERPRISES. *environmentally friendly, free range fine ray cuisine supplys and tanning factory. Im sure there would be some nice ray spots around indo.

(ps my name goes first as i thought off it)

just throwing seeds man, throwing seeds

that will be another 2.50 for the business idea.