The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
jjsanaam

WTB & WTS Lophophora Williamsii

Hi All,

Once again I am putting out for large specimen's of Loph.

They must be from seed/ own root stock.

Also at least 15/20 years old onwards...

Non Caesp. / multiple multiple headed/ clumps though.

I am willing to pay more than a fair price for old single headed Specimans ( or large single head with up to 5/6 medium heads around it ).

I do realize that what I am describing are the type of Lophs people wish to usually hold on to, but just in case anyone out there is looking at downscaling or getting rid of their collection or is in need of cash more than their little babies I thought I would put this out there.

I also have a few specimens I am willing to part with...from small seedlings 1/2 years old all the way to. 15 year old specimen. Photos soon

Thanks...

• Like 1

search in the trades section there was a guy selling some really nice singles in groups. Some rare cv too, I doubt they were as old as you are looking for but I am sure they could get that old. I think his name started with S but can't remember.

I am willing to pay more than a fair price for old single headed Specimans ( or large single head with up to 5/6 medium heads around it ).

How does a person go about determining what a fair price would be for such critters?

I've a half dozen or so in those categories and for one, $500 wouldnt begin to touch it.

I'm just curious how other people price these things or determine what is 'fair'.

• Like 2

For example german Pilz kakteen sell old texana lophs for 45 euro.

it depends, if you grow them a lot for selling from the start of their growing, then the price be quite low.

if you grow them for yourself as a hobby, then no price is enougth to part with them.

For example german Pilz kakteen sell old texana lophs for 45 euro.

it depends, if you grow them a lot for selling from the start of their growing, then the price be quite low.

if you grow them for yourself as a hobby, then no price is enougth to part with them.

Too true....

Heart attachment is an expensive thing!

Dont know how they are old but http://shop.kakteen-piltz.de/

sells them for 45 euro.

Seems they mass produce them in some way.

If they grow them without wintering, under lights and fertilizing them, they can grow them this big in 4 years.

Omitting wintering, means doubling their growth,

growing under artificial lights means - the light intensity is perfect for growth (not too much and and not too low),

so they grow constantly 365 days a year (not like in nature)

and they recieve nutrients (once in 2 weeks).

The results are better than grafting, because no need to graft them, then degraft, root them.

Grafting method takes 3 years to grow normal Lophs (1 year before graft, 1 year to grow as a graft, and 1 year to root them)

Simpler to grow them on their roots all year round, and in 3 years the results will be the same.

post-7381-0-45521700-1338729470_thumb.jp

post-7381-0-45521700-1338729470_thumb.jpg

post-7381-0-45521700-1338729470_thumb.jpg

Edited by BBGONE

Wow.... 4 years....

You would have to have a business out of it and do large quantities to make the money to cover extra electricity bills I reckon...

I wonder about the content ??? One assumes since so much is grown it must be for content ie I heard it is the most expensive legal high to buy in Amsterdam. Dried loph that is

Just looked at the website of the store...maybe not grown for content after all... Unless very radical grandma and grandpa.... ;)

Edited by jjsanaam

Not much bills for electricity.

Under 324 W fluoros setup (120 x 40 cm) they can put 30-40 grownup lophs (7-9 cm in diameter or 11 - 13 cm pot).

It is only 3 - 4 $ per one Loph a year.

But when they are smaller they can pack easily a hundred under the lamp's setup.

When they are seedlings they can have thousands of them under the lamp.

Edited by BBGONE

Dont know how they are old but http://shop.kakteen-piltz.de/

sells them for 45 euro.

Seems they mass produce them in some way.

If they grow them without wintering, under lights and fertilizing them, they can grow them this big in 4 years.

Omitting wintering, means doubling their growth,

growing under artificial lights means - the light intensity is perfect for growth (not too much and and not too low),

so they grow constantly 365 days a year (not like in nature)

and they recieve nutrients (once in 2 weeks).

The results are better than grafting, because no need to graft them, then degraft, root them.

Grafting method takes 3 years to grow normal Lophs (1 year before graft, 1 year to grow as a graft, and 1 year to root them)

Simpler to grow them on their roots all year round, and in 3 years the results will be the same.

BBGone I just want to point out a couple of things

I would think it would be very unlikely to grow a loph to look like the one in you link in four years even if it was heavily fertilised and under lights. If you push the growth that hard the loph will look more like a ball as in you thread with them grown in vermiculite with hydro ferts.

Also you can graft a seedling within days of it germinating you don't need to wait a year and so in three years most people can have a loph that is a lot more advanced that what they would have if they just grew them out on there own roots.

I am all for trying new ways to grow plants but the way that these massive lophs are grown in a short period of time is probably only suited to a very small number of people at this point. I would think that the person that is growing in vermiculite would have had a lot of failures along the way as he tried to perfect his technique.

Please dont stop posting the info on this way of growing lophs and I am interested in how you are going with your own seedlings

Cheers

Got

I would think that the person that is growing in vermiculite would have had a lot of failures along the way as he tried to perfect his technique.

No his friend gave him 3 lophs, he repotted them in vermiculite, put them under lights, fertilized them like normal plants.

he was not cactus lover, he just did it out of pure experiment.

he then tried to move them on passive hydroponics, they lived, but later he made adjustment for hydroponics.

He mixed vermiculite with gravel (50:50) and on the top added 2-3 cm of gravel.

Later he propagated them (from seeds).

He sowed seeds in vermiculite from the start.

He said that lophs never rotted. Out of the batch, maybe one or two lophs died, not more.

So it is overexaggerated, that lophs are rotprone and grow very slow.

Information from "divine cactus" supports this. They grow them in UK outdoors. http://www.divinecac...cultivation.php

If somebody wants to grow them more compact, it is better to grow them with more blue light in the spectrum.

It was noticed (Anne halonium tek) that grafts on PERES can be given any shape, with red they grow long, under blue they grow spherically.

If one wants more natural plants, then it is better to give soil time for drying before new watering.

Interestingly, could they reform their shape to more natural, if they are grown till mature in good growing conditions, and

then under normal drier conditions for cacties ???

P.S.- Sure, Pilz probably grows under lights only seedlings, then they go for natural light.

They have plenty of greenhouse's space.

Edited by BBGONE