The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

illogicalBrew

Just started Hot Water Treatment on A. Obtusifolia Two Days Ago and..

Sounds like you're doing fine. Some tips:

Put the swelled ones in seed raising mix or soil or whatever.... you don't want to be moving them after they've sprouted in paper towel, it always stunts them. They won't outgrow pots in 14 days, but they might outgrow the paper towel if you leave them there while away. If the others have swelled at all, then plant them too.

Discard floaters or seeds that refuse to swell. If they stay the same after 2 boiling water cycles, then discard them. (Had they eventually sprouted, you are more than likely introducing shitty genetics / weak traits if you managed to get them sprouted.)

And welcome :)

Thank you for your prompt response. Hot tap water or boiling water? Fortunately, I didn't have any floaters. I guess I'm off to buy some seeding mix and pots tomorrow. I was thinking 3 parts river sand and 1 part composted pine bark. Should they each have their own seedling pot (say 7cm diameter) or can they all be put into one large pot together? Am I best to leave them by the window sill for sun or out on the balcony against a wall (probably exposure to first half of day)? Was contemplating giving these to the gf, but I've seen what happens to her plants. Then again I've heard these things thrive on neglect.

Lol, I'm sure she means well :P

I use boiling water. In nature they survive bushfire which is quite a bit hotter that 100 deg C.

I would give them individual pots. Acacias really don't like their roots messed with. This is why they don't transplant as well as your typical garden plant.

If you start them off right, they grow insanely fast.

If some havnt swollen after 2 or 3 hot water treatments I just stick them in some soil, my strongest growing obtus didn't even swell that much with the hot water treatment and germinated 2 weeks after its brothers :)

If you're going away for 2 weeks then I'd just leave the 3 swollen you got and wait till you get back, sounds like you got a bit to play with :)

No luck with the last lot after 3+ weeks. Come home from business trip and was made redundant. Guess I got some time now. Boiled and planted 6 more seeds.

One of which was a floater to begin with but sank to the bottom after a few hours, discard?

I assume seeds are planted with the white protruding tip (name for this?) facing down?

Will probably 'nick' the next lot, where on the seed is this performed? Or just rub with sandpaper? Better germination rate when combined with boiling procedure?

Thanks in advance, my thumbs are far from green.

Goodluck piratebOb,

I have had seeds that have floated then sunk I still plant them.

I planted some obtus (early april) after a month most came up, the ones that had not I dug up, A few had rotted & the rest just looked the same as when I planted them so I soaked them again, then replanted, 4 more came up.

I don't do anything to the seeds other than the boiling water soak, I have keep adding boiling water for up to three days for seeds that don't swell(some do swell on the third day).

I plant the seeds on there side about 8mm under good seed raising mix.

I have also had seedlings burn in direct sun, I have mine in a greenhouse that gets the sun all day but only let in 50 percent light.

^^ This is all I have done with my obtus & there going really good ^^

Like I said at the beginning, Good luck mate!

Thanks for the info. I didn't even think to dig up the last lot - I just assumed they'd be somehow consumed after all this time. Seems I was probably too impatient as well - I thought these things were supposed to be somewhat weed like, ha ha? Threw some new mix on the top and tried again. At the moment, I've just got them out in the sun and misting with tap water every few hours to keep the top layer somewhat moist.

44 seeds remaining.

Will probably 'nick' the next lot, where on the seed is this performed?

pirate, nick the seed on the opposite end to the scar (hilum). On some seeds that would be the pointy end you are nicking.

Make the nick small, just enought to see white. Its more of a cut or scrape with a sharp knife. Grafting blades are excellent for this.

Dont soak for as long as you would after hot water treatment. About 8-10 hrs is good, all

should be well on their way by then.

What mix are you using? I've gotten best success from jiffy peat pellets, used Aussie native mix a few times but the one I used (debco?) needed a bit of a sift before hand. Used brunnings seed raising mix once and they weren't to fond of that at all, the ones that did germ died off pretty quick :(

I leave mine In freshly boiled water overnight in glass jars to be sown the next day. No problem. I think your omitting the soak part of the process, thus the slower germ rate.

I leave mine In freshly boiled water overnight in glass jars to be sown the next day. No problem. I think your omitting the soak part of the process, thus the slower germ rate.

They have been getting a good 8 hours soak.

What mix are you using?

Using 1:3 ratio of well composted pine bark:river sand.

pirate, nick the seed on the opposite end to the scar (hilum). On some seeds that would be the pointy end you are nicking.

So the 'hilum' is underneath the 'aril'? Diagram provided for A.Obtusifolia seed below, am I understanding this correctly?

9azNw.png

Here are some maideneii seeds that have been soaking in water for 2.5 months or so. I forgot about them except to change the water every week or so.

(null)

post-4739-620205_thumb.jpg

So the 'hilum' is underneath the 'aril'? Diagram provided for A.Obtusifolia seed below, am I understanding this correctly?

a>

Yes.

Hey I find they grow real easy up here, I boil, soak for 24hrs remove the large swollen ones and leave the smaller swolen ones for another 6-12 hours. I still plant the slightly swollen ones and start process again for any that havn't swollen, which is rare. The smaller swollen ones sprout fine.

I plant the seedlings on their side in soil from my yard which is clay base with heaps of broken down leaf matter. Use a tall narrow pot, the healthier seedlings seem to have long roots the roots can reach a few inches before the seed breaks the soil.

I position the pots full sun with potted native grasses around it to create partial shade, I find this improves success rate dramatically when replanting.

I let the top of the soil dry out before watering.

Hope some of this helps.

If you really struggle I can swap a seedling for a few seeds I have a few around the grow even better then the maidens wattle around here.

Sounds like dud seeds to me. Get a fresh batch and try again. Acacias are quite easy. Good luck :)