The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
CβL

Buying a didgeridoo

Hai guys,

I'm on the lookout (in NZ) for some new instruments. I am interested in buying a didgeridoo, as A) I like them, B) They aren't ripoff expensive.

Now I'm aware that there exist a huge glut of cheaply made tourist spec didges. I'm pretty sure these should be totally avoided?

I also think I read that some are filled with wax, and that I should avoid those as well. Is there anything else worth pointing out?

Any other important advice? :)

i've heard that traditionally digis are made from branches that have been hollowed out by termites, so they should have a natural branch like look...if that means anything.

re:the wax, natural wax is often used around the mouthpiece as it can be gently molded to get a better fit on the players mouth, i don't think there's anything wrong w/that, but i don't know about them being "filled w/wax"

choose a natural dige which sounds great and is easy to blow. not too heavy, and with a nice progression from mouth piece to bell.

the pic shows you a bit what to look for.

learn the drone tone, and try out all diges youreselfe.

post-70-0-56452500-1337739106_thumb.jpg

SAM_0943_Converteddiges.JPG

SAM_0943_Converteddiges.JPG

• Like 1

Make sure it has a good back pressure, especially if you're only learning. Will make things a fair bit easier. See what sort of sounds you like so you know whether to go with a lower key, which will give a real deep sort of a drone, meditative sort of stuff, or a higher key that is easier easier for playing fast.

What they might be talking about is if the mouthpiece is naturally very big, and so they've used a lot of wax to form something workable? As opposed to having to only use a little bit of wax to form it.

• Like 1

βluntmuffin it could well be one of the best things you do ;) i love the didj

i've never heard of wax being used for anything but mouthpieces, it's reduced density relative to the wood would definitely affect resonance for the worse if used to patch splits, more what you have to be looking for is the way the timber's been seasoned, termite hollowed sticks are alot less inclined to split than ones made with split-and-bore method, (but often the most interesting shapes are split and bore) .. a good guide to backpreasure if you're not familiar is the smaller the bore, and the more bends it has, the easier it will be for a beginner, and the easier overtones will be

planthelper those are beautiful man, do they belong to you?

good post wameron!

the less wax at the mouth piece the better, good didges don't have any wax. too much back pressure, avoids fast impulsive play. but most diges would have not enough back pressure, nice post wameron, great to have didgeridoo virtuosos around. :wub:

yep, they are some of my didges, @ bulls.

Edited by planthelper

They're a nice set! I've only got the one at the moment (Besides from bits of pvc to play around with), but would like to buy another.

How long have you been playing for planthelper?

Alright, thanks for clearing everything up guys. :)

I will keep looking, and will post some pictures when I get one.

i have access to a few wooden didj's that are great, but I've been looking at one of these for myself

http://www.ebay.com....=item2a1434bdf2

http://blog.didgeridoobreath.com/articles/new-jon-worsley-hemp-didgeridoo-videos/

I've always liked the idea of using hemp for unexpected things, and these actually sound really nice (there are a few short videos available on youtube). I'm not necessarily saying you should get one, but you may at least be interested in the novelty

dio

edit: added second link

Edited by dionysus

Shit, those actually are awesome. Savagely dear though, but I will remember them. :)

Edit:

Is a bell/flare important?

Edited by βluntmuffin

If you look into local suppliers I am sure you will find some indigenous business owners who sell some really nice blanks (as well as some beautifully painted ones). To be honest I am not sure if you will find them online, but I bought mine from some locals in Alice Springs a few years back. I think the blank was about $100 from memory and I took it home with me and painted and used a woodburner to tell a story of the time that I had spent with the local tribes on my trip.

To me, this was more satisfying than buying one prepainted and allowed me to invest in putting my own energies into the instrument.

Either way you will have a heap of fun with it.

Good luck.

PS I would go with a bit of a larger flair if I got another one, to get those really, really l low resonating tones happening!

i totaly agree with what you call blanks, another term would be raw sticks.

you need an arbor tek (you fit it to your angle grinder) and a beveled woodcarving chisle welded to a metal rod.

you use the long chisle to clean out the termite hole, and the arbor tek to get rid of excessive wood on the outside.

i bought most of my didges as raw sticks, don't buy without trying out first,... most didges i encountered, are rather made for the souvenir trade, and are not, playable instruments.

• Like 1