The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Stillman

T pachanoi Crestate and maybe a Trich

Question

Bought these today

Looking for an ID

The column cacti has some weird white powder on it, not sure if its a treatment or a disease lol

will keep it isolated.

So what you guys think they are?

DSCF2133.jpg

DSCF2134.jpg

DSCF2136.jpg

DSCF2137.jpg

second plant possibly hertrichocereus beneckei

very nice crest :drool2:

Edited by Moses
  • Like 2

Thanks Moses I will look it up.

heres a shot of the plant washed

DSCF2138.jpg

so what do you think the crest is? It does look like a trich to me but I am no expert.

I paid 10 dollars for it from Masters of all places lol. Its a Hamilton's plant.

holy shit maybe I shouldn't have washed it lol.

• Like 1

Spines look a bit bigger than the common pachanoi crest in NZ.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was a pachanoi crest though as that's the only difference I can see between my plants and yours.

Is it very different to Hamilton's peruvianus crest?

Oh and good score :)

Edited by centipede
  • Like 1

I will have to do some research centipede, might give them a ring and ask them directly. Perhaps it could be T peruvianus crest, I'm very happy with the buys none the less.

Bargain man...very nice score, bet you couldn't get the dollars out of your pocket quick enough. :wink:

I almost knocked a couple peeps out of the way lol. I also got two 30 cm nice classic looking T pachanoi with them. I couldn't believe it I have never seen pachanoi in shops in QLD ever.

• Like 1

Very nice find. Moses is right. Its Stenocereus beneckei. Cool cactus that takes up to minus 4 degree frost. The almost mealy or frosted look is natural and is not a disease or something like that. No Trichocereus Cristate but in my eyes, this is way more cool.

• Like 1

not a trich crest EG? :scratchhead: any ideas?

The crest looks just like my Hamiltons T. peru/cuzco crest.

Nice scores.

I think Eg thinks its a TRich crest (at least I'm hoping he does lol) I think its a grammatical error, I read it as he thinks the Stenocereus beneckei is a much cooler find then the Trich crest?? Well I'm sticking to that anyway. lol

Now i know what you guys are talking about. Thought i´d be starting to get crazy. :) Didnt see the first pic with the Tricho at first. Was browsing from the mobile and it was only opening the pics of the second plant. Sorry for the confusion. Thread title should have made me cauteous but i wasnt really reading it. First one is the Pachanoi/Peruvianus Monstrose that is so common in europe. Second one is of course the Stenocereus. Maybe even a crest of it because it looks a bit diffrent. But its definately benecki, not a Trich.

Edited by Evil Genius

Yes they are around from time to time. Bought like three of them by accident because the pic was crappy and i thought they were a diffrent clone. Not sure whats up with all these crests but we have them on ebay all the time. Agree the spines on Stillmans pics are a bit bigger than on the cultivar but this could be enviromentally caused. Not sure, can you post a spine closeup stillman?

I'll post a pic in the morning for you EG.

DSCF2131.jpg

not the best pic sorry

Bargain plants there Stillman how big is the crest?

EG had me confused on the crest to start with :)

Cheers

Got

Both plants are in 12cm pots so its a pretty good size, I'm not sure what Hamiltons normally sell them for but something up here would normally be a 20 to 30 dollar plant from most nurseries. I have never seen trich crests or monstrose other than bridgesii for sale in QLD.

Yeah seems im so used seeing these monstrose Tricho´s that i already overlook them. :blush:

Spines look a little bit diffrent like on the one i know. Could be enviromental but i´d keep an eye on it just in case it throws out some strange growth that doesnt fit to the clone that we already know. I agree it definately has similarities to a KK242 type cuzcoensis.

Good size plants

If you see any more trich crests's I am only a pm away and willing to pay commission :wink:

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

Will do, have a few who have me on the look out.

definately different clone than what's 'common' in europe and what usually gets around as pachanoi crest in my eyes...

would definately trade / buy a cut of this plant , Stillman!! its on my wantlist

• Like 2

^^ Yeah, much more interesting than the common Pach crest available here. Will be interesting to see what an offset of regular growth is like.

Mutant: do your crests that have thrown columnar limbs, do they revert to crested growth or keep growing semi monstrose/normal?

Edited by centipede

I guess time will tell. Its in the hothouse so should grow all year round here. fingers crossed it will look pretty cool by late summer.