The Corroboree
nagual78

Sub burbing

Found my first subs since moving tomelbourne

• Like 1

i got a bunch more today too, during work time of course,

subs are pumping at the moment

Lucky eastern stater's

they are literally everywhere in the north-eastern and eastern suburbs. Even in the garden of police stations...

• Like 1

Ah...Time for another hunt then! Went for a forest wander 2 weeks ago plus a casual suburbia look here and there. Many different species about, none of the interesting variety though. Seemed a little early, but you could tell it was about to take off.

:)

Images to follow, hopefully!

they are literally everywhere in the north-eastern and eastern suburbs. Even in the garden of police stations...

hehehe, true true

fuck going to the dandenongs chapel st has its own patches. seriously Im so pleased with myself!!!!!

Yeah i used to find them at train stations, university gardens, outside police stations, train stations - just look for mulch garden beds. There are just as many in the north eastern suburbs as up in the hills. But there are plenty up in the hills LOL

fuck going to the dandenongs chapel st has its own patches. seriously Im so pleased with myself!!!!!

Before you get too excited, It's worth mentioning that when any species of mushroom is fruiting, it absorbs quite a lot of the toxins in its relative proximity. They are great at doing this. So, if you are picking mushrooms next to a highway or a busy road/intersection, I would be a little concerned if you are planning to eat a large quantity of them, since you won't know what kind of other unknown toxins will be in them.

Citation needed? Sure, over to you Paul Stamets;

http://agroforestry.net/overstory/overstory86.html

See: "Mushrooms and Toxic Wastes"

That's why i only pick in the forests. Not only is it more fun on the hunt, and a great day out, but you know they are 100% organic! ;-)

Got to agree with trichpach. a friend once ate some subs growing by the side of the road. they worked just fine but had a lot more of the undesireable symptons like lots of yawning, double vision, bleary , watering eyes and general discomfort. he likes to think its because they weren't growing in an awesome location.

All lignious substrates contain toxins. Pine mulch is often treated with arsenic and even pine needles contain substances that probably arent great.

^. EEEEEKkkkkkkKK!

Interesting topic, as my bush patch shrooms are alot more appetising than ones from local nature reserves- though i think the bush patch ones retain moisture alot more helping with taste.Personally, I think as long as your not picking off roundabouts/medium to high traffic roads you wouldn't need to worry that much.(more worried bout using mobile as alarm clock!!).

• Like 1

Yep, bush produce is certainly tastier IMHO.

I'm not saying that we all need to be paranoid and abandon urban hunting... Alls I'm saying is just be aware of what happens during the fruiting process. And just think about what conditions they are growing in before going whole hog. B)

Found subs, lactarius, amanitas, boletes, parasols, saffys, milk tops, galerinas and many others in the hills Eastern Melb hills over the weekend. The amanitas in particular were in glorious abundance. Subs were around in small quantities in my usual haunts, but this is already up on last year which was very poor comapared to the few years prior.

Almost season over here too, the nights are getting colder we just need a good rain!

They were in a garden.Someone told me that a little went a long way. can anyone tell me how much variation in potency is ? does it depend on age,temp,how they are cured etc just a little concerned cause a little never usually goes that far

post-7430-0-12592600-1338076782_thumb.jp post-7430-0-89467600-1338076801_thumb.jp

pickaxe.jpg

picks.jpg

pickaxe.jpg

picks.jpg

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 7

(more worried bout using mobile as alarm clock!!).

Switch your phone to Airplane mode first - problem solved. I even do this when I'm carrying my phone around in my pocket.

all good figured out where I went wrong.

How do I post pics with my phone