The Corroboree
nabraxas

Catholic Church says Australia is suffering a man drought, warns women not to be too picky

May 7, 2012 12:00

"Are women getting too choosy? I'd say yes," Father Tony Kerin from the Archdiocese of Melbourne told the Herald Sun of Australia. "I think many are setting aside their aspirations for later, but by the time they get around to it, they've missed their chance."

Kerin's comments came in light of research by demographer Bernard Salt. According to Salt, there are 1.3 million women and 1.343 million men between the ages of 25 to 34 living in Australia, the Herald Sun reported. But of those 1.3 million men, only 86,000 are actually "marriage material," because the other men are already married, gay or in a serious relationship, according to Salt's calculations. Salt himself, however, seems a little picky: he also excluded men who are single parents and men who earn less than $60,000 a year.

Concerns about a "man drought" in Australia are not new. BBC News reported in 2008 that there were 100,000 more females than males living in Australia, and the gender imbalance was especially bad in Australia's coastal cities. The imbalance was caused by thousands of Australian men in their 20s and 30s leaving the country to travel or to find work, according to the BBC.

And the Australian Bureau of Statistics says that between 1990 and 2001, the "crude marriage rate" declined from 6.9 to 5.3 marriages per 1,000 population.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/weird-wide-web/catholic-church-says-australia-suffering-man-drought-warns-dont-be-too-picky

But of those 1.3 million men, only 86,000 are actually "marriage material," because the other men are already married, gay or in a serious relationship, according to Salt's calculations.

or have an unhealthy interest in things that grow out of cow shit.

• Like 4

the whole story is a beat up, 1.3 million women and 1.343 million men comes so close to balanced it's not really an issue.

just posted for a laugh & maybe to give abit ov hope to the desperate & dateless :wink:

My mate just separated from his wife and is looking for love LOL. he tells me that every woman he meets who is over 30 and single is so for one reason.

I love the way it's "1.3 million" and "1.343 million". Is 43,000 not good enough or something? :wink:

crude marriage rate decline = less dollars for the catholic church....

WE HAVE TO PROTECT THE CONCEPT OF MARRIAGE!

THIS DECLINE IN MARRIAGE IS A HUGE AND IMPORTANT ISSUE!

YOU MUST GET MARRIED, YOU MUST FOLLOW IMPORTANT TRADITIONS!

GOD > JESUS > MAN > WOMAN.

• Like 1

you put women last you god damned mysoginist

he tells me that every woman he meets who is over 30 and single is so for one reason.

what was the reason?

He meets them at Tuperware parties.

Yeah I'd kind of like to know what that reason is, because I met my misses when we were both over thirty and the reasons she gave were multiple, including failed relationships.

I just assumed these guys weren't right for her, she's an amazing woman, a wonderful wife and a fantastic mother, sometimes circumstances hand people a hard deal but I count it as a blessing because if she was happily married from the age of 17 I would never have had the satisfying relationship that I never realised was possible.

im sorry but was she really enoying that spanking in the safron clip.... ?

That sounded pritty hard....

Edited by vual

If anything we've got a women drought at the moment, at least in my generation. They're all too busy painting their nails, competing who can sport the highest heels and see how many likes on facebook their status updates generate to have any substance.

If anything we've got a women drought at the moment, at least in my generation. They're all too busy painting their nails, competing who can sport the highest heels and see how many likes on facebook their status updates generate to have any substance.

i see what you're saying, but if you wanna go down that road... there's far too many "men" that are too busy watching the footy, getting drunk off beer, being tough cunts, going to the gym, taking out loans to buy holden commodores/utes, getting tattoos cause they're cool, etc etc... that's the culture we live in, regardless of gender, people generally want to fit in.

the reality is that generally men and women are both completely fucked.

Zomg! Drunk off BEER!? what savage beasts.

• Like 1

i see what you're saying, but if you wanna go down that road... there's far too many "men" that are too busy watching the footy, getting drunk off beer, being tough cunts, going to the gym, taking out loans to buy holden commodores/utes, getting tattoos cause they're cool, etc etc... that's the culture we live in, regardless of gender, people generally want to fit in.

the reality is that generally men and women are both completely fucked.

I must say you have a point there sir, that describes many people I know all to well :lol:

Lol - before i get bashed and flamed and roasted - check up the meaning of 'double entendre'

^i'm from the UK, home ov the Carry On... films & Benny Hill, so i have a fairly good understanding ov double entendre, but yours must be much more highbrow than mine 'cus it went straight over my head, like an airoplane

It is a tricky one, men ususally read it one way, women read it the other - both ususally find it insulting till they see the other side:

Woman without her man, is nothing (Without a man, a woman is nothing)

Woman, without her, man is nothing (Without a woman, man is nothing)

aha!

i was right, that was well above the usual standard ov English double entendres, which has always had it's knockers.

Edited by nabraxas