The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Happy Cadaver

Alyxia

Does anyone know the germination prep for this man of heat from the depth of the ages to the dawn of the mankey virus?

Edited by darcy

is alyxia eadable? what is it used for? lots of it grows where i live.

did you ever work out a germination prep for this?

I'm trying to grow some alyxia buxifolia from seed at the moment. nothing happening yet.

Has anybody learned much about these plants?

There's nothing much on the net. All I can find in books is that buxifolia was called dysentery bush and was once used as a hops substitute. In 'Plants for Medicines' it rated 0.05% alkaloid in leaf and stem. They have an interesting smell in summer and the red berries, white sap and twisted flowers seem to say something.

I haven't found them growing in large numbers, just a few in a reserve. It's a special aboriginal women's place so I can't really justify taking anything but a few seeds. I wonder if the root bark has ever had any medicinal or religious use.

They either need a treatment or just take a hell of a long time :) I never had luck but think you may have to crack the hard shell inside the fruit.

Still no sign of germination. Here's some pictures in case anybody is wondering what this plant is:

post-1163-1139559742_thumb.jpgpost-1163-1139559791_thumb.jpg

I've tried soaking, cracking, heating, etc... maybe they need to pass through an animal? I recently found this vomit (see below) on the edge of a salt lake at yalgorup :puke: it looks like a combination of alyxia seeds and hibbertia calyxes even though it was a few kilometres from either of those plants. Like a large animal gorged itself, travelled a while and then threw up. What can it mean? Is alyxia toxic? Are there any vomitomancers on this forum? Has anybody ever noticed animals eating alyxia berries?

post-1163-1139559826_thumb.jpgpost-1163-1139559910_thumb.jpg

post-1163-1139559742_thumb.jpg

post-1163-1139559791_thumb.jpg

post-1163-1139559826_thumb.jpg

post-1163-1139559910_thumb.jpg

post-1163-1139559742_thumb.jpg

post-1163-1139559791_thumb.jpg

post-1163-1139559826_thumb.jpg

post-1163-1139559910_thumb.jpg

LOl

wouldnt it be amazing if this was the vector

a symbiosis wherby animals self medicate for stomach parasites with alyxias toxins

and the acids break dormancy and leave alyxia treated and fertilised in a heap of steaming chuck to germinate

:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke: :puke: :puke::puke::puke:

Edited by Rev

stupidly I didn't think to take any of the vomit home with me. I'll have to make my own :puke:

...from cribb and cribb (wild medicine in australia): "this plant has been well known in western australia as a bush cure for dysentery, and has been investigated for other medicinal uses. In the latter part of the nineteenth century it was patented in nsw as a source of austral marine bitters". The annoying thing with this book is there's no footnotes. the impression i get is that the word "bitters" indicated a medicinal tonic rather than a recreational drink? - although colonial medicines were often highly alcoholic (I read about a popular remedy for alcoholism that had alcohol as the main ingredient :saufen2:). another name for buxifolia was hop bush, so maybe the marine bitters was a kind of remote coastal beer? judging by the character of the plant it would have proabably made a sweet smelling but bitter tasting brew. with all the diarrhea and parasites that plagued europeans in those days it may have seemed like a good idea...

but how common is it for plants to have simultaneously emetic and astringent actions? wouldn't australia's pharmacopia be more about astringents than emetics - given the need to conserve water?

Dunno about natives but plants like Adiantum aethiopicum and Primula vulgaris are both emetic and astringent.

From my understanding astringents were easy to obtain from native aussie flora from the bark of Eucalyptus and other high tannin barks. Does too much tannin cause emesis, like maybe M. hostilis rootbark?

They can take in excess of a year to germinate. I have had the lowland variety germinate within 6 months though.

A friend collected some of the highland variety about 11 months ago - they germinated en-masse over the last couple of weeks.