The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Quixote

Would a genetic mapping solve the id-problem?

Question

If somebody analyzed the genomes of several echinopsis/trichocerei, wouldn't that solve the big debate on species' names once and for all?

And if so, why hasn't anybody done it yet? There must be many students of biology who would be interested in this, and able to, with access to lab equipment as well.

3 answers to this question

Yes, at the moment this is being done and the results look very promising so far. Trucha might have some more information about this. Im sure he´ll write something about it when he reads this.

Well it won't solve the "debate on species' names" per se, but it will provide information regarding genetic groupings on which names can be applied. Basically, if these studies find particular groupings, which no doubt they will, then the debate will become what name to apply to any particular group.

I'm a bit more curious about how these sorts of studies will deal with natural intermediaries and their classification, and particularly how it will deal with those plants which have human intervention.

~Michael~

• Like 1

If somebody analyzed the genomes of several echinopsis/trichocerei, wouldn't that solve the big debate on species' names once and for all?

And if so, why hasn't anybody done it yet? There must be many students of biology who would be interested in this, and able to, with access to lab equipment as well.

It's really expensive and requires a fair amount of computing power and the skills to interpret the data.

I can't remember what the cost per lane is, but I've been keeping an eye on it as the costs are coming down all the time. Once it gets to around $200 per analysis, which could happen in the next five years, it will be easier for groups to map out individuals within a population and clarify species boundaries

You also need to consider the question of accuracy when sampling, not just speed and price

http://www.popsci.co...ses-your-genome

Can't wait to play with these

Still, once you've got your data, what are you going to do to interpret it? I imagine it will be a while before the sort of software/ databases making easy comparisons available to Joe and Jane Public becomes available, and even longer before such software covers the species we are specifically interested in. Many of these species aren't common ornamental or food plants remember :) And it's a *lot* of data

Personally when your data comes in I'd recommend finding a broke, frustrated or bored ( or all three ) grad student or postgrad in genetics and offering them beer or food as a swap for running you through the process

Edited by Darklight