The Corroboree
Distracted

Police warn of drug's dangers

Intense drug arrives in Perth

Human bodies naturally contain a small amount of it, as do cane toads, but a new drug that has been found in Western Australia in the past week is of great concern to Police and drug experts.

Professor Steve Allsop from Curtin University's National Drug Research Institute said he was surprised last week to hear that police had found two drug labs allegedly manufacturing dimethyltryptamine (DMT) in Perth.

"I haven't heard of it being used widely in WA," he said.

Professor Allsop said the drug which occurs naturally in the human body, in cane toads and some plants, was far more potent in the synthetic version.

He said no one knew what the purpose of naturally occurring dimethyltryptamine in the human body was.

"Some people speculate that it plays a role in the creation of dreams, but we just don't know," Professor Allsop said.

"It is a psychedelic or a hallucinogen; it can cause hallucinations and a sense of separation from reality."

He said the drug had been referred to by some as a 'lunchtime drug' because it was short acting.

It kicks in quickly, can be extremely intense and wears off quickly.

Professor Allsop said the separation from reality meant it could be a very dangerous drug.

"There's a risk of injury if people aren't aware of whom or where they are, or could fall over, walk in front of traffic, just stray onto the road," he said.

Professor Allsop said the short lasting effects could attract some to the drug; it was also very unpredictable and could be a frightening experience for those who took it.

"A lot of people don't like it because it can make you feel different each time, it can depend on different factors, such as your mood."

He said the effects could be even more detrimental on people vulnerable to mental health issues.

Professor Allsop said the dimethyltryptamine allegedly being manufactured in Perth may have been being made for use in its own right or it could have been to add it to other drugs.

Edited by Distracted

walk in front of traffic, just stray onto the road

Yep, definitely sounds like something someone would do after a big hit :blink:

He said the drug had been referred to by some as a 'lunchtime drug' because it was short acting.

Do people really call it that? I've read of DMT apparently being called 'the business man's trip' decades ago, but I haven't met too many people who consider it such a breezy experience that they think of it as something to kill a bit of time with.

Sometimes I think the media just gets fixated on certain terms and drags them out every few years even if nobody else uses them. Did anyone read the article a few weeks/months back about MDPV showing up and wreaking havoc in South Australia? In that one MDPV was called 'scat cat'. Never heard that term before or since that article. Hopefully I never will again.

I'd like to take this chance to introduce a new term, which the media may use in its next article on dangerous substances: Business cat's phat scat. It'll be the substance that causes vulnerable young Aussies to wander out into traffic and fall down while believing they are cats who can fly - during their lunch breaks.

• Like 3

"Dangerous powder used in WA drug labs

STAFF REPORTER, The West Australian April 29, 2012, 11:33 am

Dangerous powder used in WA drug labs

Hallucinations and paranoia are among the side effects of a dangerous chemical being used in drugs sold in WA, police have warned.

Police have discovered Dimethyltryptamine, or DMT, being manufactured in illegal drug labs around Perth.

"The most recent [discovery] being the seizure of 6g at two alleged drug manufacture sites at Willetton and Glendalough last week," police said.

"The manufacture process can pose a threat to health, property and the environment."

DMT, which is usually sold as a brown or beige powder, had also been found as an additive in LSD "in the form of paper tabs with various designs, the most frequent being a smiley face", police said.

Psychological effects experienced by users included visual and auditory hallucinations, altered mood, inability to concentrate and feelings of fear and paranoia.

Physical effects included pupil dilation and increased heart rate and blood pressure.

Police warned that DMT might be sold without the user knowing they were taking a different substance.

Police Assistant Commissioner (Crime) Nick Anticich said the threat of new and emerging illicit substances should be a concern to the community, particularly those who used unregulated and dangerous substances.

"Taking these drugs is a high-risk activity, especially as the composition and potency varies significantly and cannot be adequately controlled during the manufacture process," he said.

"People who take these drugs may end up in hospital in the short term either as a reaction to the chemicals or from their actions under the influence of the drug.

"In addition, the consumption of many of these substances can result in adverse long-term health effects."

It is a criminal offence to possess, sell or supply DMT and heavy penalties may apply.Police said people in possession of such substances were advised to avoid taking the drugs and to destroy them immediately."

http://au.news.yahoo...a/-/wa/13549468

I do'nt know which article is worse...

Edited by shruman

^^^ Haha. That article made me laugh. Read it somewhere last night and was going to post it here.

Can the police really be that uninformed to believe that "DMT, which is usually sold as a brown or beige powder, had also been found as an additive in LSD "in the form of paper tabs with various designs, the most frequent being a smiley face", police said."??

Where do they get their information from??

Edited by OPP

6 grams of spice from two "labs" :rolleyes:

sounds like the police are really nabbing some of the big players these days, forget ice and smack cooks/importers making millions..

hope the people that got pinched dont do time.

• Like 1

i always cringe at these stories. it always gives me a bad feeling to see how brazen some chuckleheads are in posting their sparkly high yield extraction tek or extraction reports full of pictures, this stuff is serious business. we have a very different perspective on these things, but 6gs theoretically = 2 people processing as little as 500gs each of 'popular' WA material.. ie likely not a commercial production, but tell that to people who call what they've set up 'drug labs'. regardless of whether they go to jail convictions of this nature are not section 10 material

• Like 3

the phat cat lunch pat pawed walk talk hawk

(for excellence in momentary thought)

Edited by curaezipirid

either that or a Difficult Method Tariff cat scattering hawk

• Like 1

Cheers BOP! Much obliged for this jolly joke! What buffoons! AOSD will be busy eradicating the production of psychedelic tryptamines in W.A.! Indeed what to do when they discover their very flesh contains traces of DMT? (There is no minimum for possession - the merest trace will do! - tremble oh! yee canetoads! you're next!)

Why is drug law made up by the people who know the least about it?

- Would you give the decisions to someone, not only ignorant and naive to their subject, but in fact PROUD they've had no experience of it, don't associate with anyone who has, ever, and do not expect - even avoid - any direct contact with the matter?

Would you hire a contractor who has "never touched cement powder in his life - nor would employ anybody who would - and doesn't even listen to anyone who has" to lay concrete for you?

Yet this is the qualification we set on lawmakers of Drug Policy...

If in forum I am remembered for one quote it will be:-

"It is completely immoral to give others, what you have not thoroughly tested on yourself"

I, amongst all, can make that claim. And I feel, on this site, I am amongst noble peers who feel that morality too!

When will they learn that "war on drugs" is war against your own children, family, workmates - your own people i.e. it is government declared civil war?

(Now to really piss off the narcs, the mancatchers, the traps, the filth, etc. who read our democratic egalitarian forum with evil intent in their heart. Those paid to "visit", seek to prosper from our humility, not for spiritual truth:-)

Honni soit qui mal y pense

My dear readers, "The Powers That Be" are mighty pleased with rape of social justice and declare that "97% of covert, intelligence and surveillance operations against illicit drugs result in a successful outcome"

The police claim that 20% of crimes committed go unreported - how the fuck would they know?

Having the WA Police tell me about Tryp-I-H-L-&-K is like when Catholic Priests tried to teach 17yr old Pat Uri "sex education"!

Put it this way - I tried real hard, and they really learnt a lot!

Edited by Pat Uri
  • Like 4

It seems I need to be a journalist, make shit up and get paid for it! Where do I sign up? :o

• Like 1

Amazing post, Pat Uri. Thanks for that ...

(ummmmmmmmmmm I tried to find a normal smiley face to put at the end of my message but saw all this weird crazy stuff. I wanted the smiley to show I meant what I was saying and was NOT being sarcastic, but this long bracketed explanation will have to suffice)

• Like 3

so now we have obvious examples of the opposition...

uneducated journalists who work for mainstream news sources and recite garbage withou the slightest concern for accuracy or the impact on society's ability to integrate the drug experience.

you ask where do i sign?

if u must have a peice of paper i can send u one... though it may save a certain amount of energy if you just set aside a few hours to write up an article on the issues involving the substance users community. u can either find channels through which to share your work... or you can send it to me and i will send it out to some people who would be interested... and there are many.

i figure if lets say 10 people from SAB and other places alike... write up one or two or ten articles or information packages each we can ensure that such misinformation cannot be spread into the community... and we can even use it to define the limits and expanse of the field in which we work...

i also figure that it is only the selfish fear of being persecuted or the laziness inherent in human thinking that would stop such a ones as these from actually taking the initiative to do said work.

i agree... many of the point that pat uri raised were very excellent and so, i would think it important to have them somehow expressed in an easy to read and structured article.

i think it is that the wider community is waiting for those in the know, who have tested these things on themselves, and who do know the culture and its mores to really stand up and make some noise.

and i am almost certain that until such action is taken we will contniue to be inspired by such nonsense as is above...

check out the AuShaman thread and make a contribution there...

or if u dont like to be a groupie, just compile some information...

the time really has come to put an end to all this tom foolery and to embrace the opportunity we have been given.

can anyone out there in SAB land hear me? and do any of you care that the path forward is in your fingertips?

AFFIRMATIVE ACTION means itself.

"When will they learn that "war on drugs" is war against your own children, family, workmates - your own people i.e. it is government declared civil war?"

jeesus man!, that made me a shiver. what a fantastic way to put it!

• Like 1

statistically and mathematically speaking you are one trillion times more likely to walk out in front of a moving car from being drunk then a hit of DMT.. like seriously......

should'nt there be a law based on media spinning lies and disinformation ?

surely they can be sued for there actions ?

• Like 1

Huh?

When you give someone a hit of D do you tell them to lie down and not move or do you tell them to walk around?

I'd be betting you'd tell them that they won't be able to operate normally and to get in as comfortable position as possible.

I really don't see much wrong with what they're saying other than it being used as an admixture to lsd on paper blotters with smiley faces... that shit is just retarded.

also for the most part i'd disagree with people giving out D as something else.

The main problem I have with these articles is that they're introducing D to a wider audience that's not supposed to be taught about D this way.

"It is always a concern to police, especially when you look at the side-effects of illicit drugs.

"And being made in Western Australia as well, is of significant concern to us.

"Organised Crime are looking at the manufacturing side of it as well as the distribution of it."

wtf.. what two products you can buy at your local coles or safeway ? these people are seriously retarded.

what are they going to do track every camper who buys shelite.. track every plumber and candle maker who buys caustic soda ? what a waste of time and resources.

You have to wonder what the motives for such bullshit were.

There are signs of collusion between the cops and the sensationalist journalist so is the tail wagging the dog ?

It seems to me they are trying raise the profile so they can "crack down" on it.

It reads like we're about to invade a new country in our global war on everything we don't like, but the country is Australia and the target is DMT instead of the taliban.

The next statement being prepared for release should sound something like this

We failed with pot, speed, cocaine, LSD, heroin, and ecstasy - but this a war we can win :unsure:

• Like 2

You have to wonder what the motives for such bullshit were.

There are signs of collusion between the cops and the sensationalist journalist so is the tail wagging the dog ?

It seems to me they are trying raise the profile so they can "crack down" on it.

It reads like we're about to invade a new country in our global war on everything we don't like, but the country is Australia and the target is DMT instead of the taliban.

The next statement being prepared for release should sound something like this

We failed with pot, speed, cocaine, LSD, heroin, and ecstasy - but this a war we can win :unsure:

This is exactly what I was thinking. I must say though even to the 'uninitiated' 6g is hardly a drug lab but still most people buy into everything they read *facepalm*

they failed last time (in their "war on plants') in that the public didn't have enough fear of the "dangerous drugs" which came from the plants they wanted to outlaw. note the apparent links to a public health issue ("we need to do this for your safety"), and organised crime ('we need to do this to keep the community safe"), two things they can easily use to justify ramming some new laws through. you just wait til someone gets caught with some "common household plants".....

writing to each other about it on SAB forum isnt going to solve this problem...

DO SOMETHING REAL!!!!!

same arguments over and over back and forth... its like a broken record...

Sit down and take 3o minutes to write an article... im sure this one was written in 5 minutes...

we are nothing when we are alone... if there was no forum, ya'll would probbaly go insane.

we only become when we find a community.

and we can be a great community... we can be a GREAT COUNTRY AND WE CAN BE A GREAT WORLD... BUT IT TAKES PEOPLE TO ACTUALLY do their part... with what they know, to make it all work...

sometimes people have to forsake $$$ as the carrot they chase and strive for truth and justice instead.

get writing. or i personally pray that every single drug experience u have from now on causes u to experience lasting insanity and know your own failure as a human being blessed with the gifts of sacred plants and substances...

• Like 1

The usual media hype and bureaucratic ignorance . Spice is nothing new - it's been here for a long ,long , time . And will still be here after we're long gone . Ineradicatable . Unenforcable . Beautiful .

Edited by Major Tom
  • Like 1

the differnce in the times "major tom" is the subject which the media chooses to focus on...

they would not continue if the wider populous knew how much untruth was contianed... your attitude is really quite pathetic...

the fact is we can actually employ our capabilities to change things like this through spreding informationa nd education.

we should be motivating each other to do so... not accepting the status quo and being so disresepcted every time we open a newpaper or go online.

it is enforceable in the sense that if the media are endangering the public through their misinformation then we have a respoinsibility to stop them from doing so.

the fact that now some young peope might go and lick a toad or smoke it and OD on toxins and bufo is a serious issue... we dont have psychoactive toads wild in this country and to give the impression that DMT lasts for 15 minut$Es is completely untrue... it lasts for hours...

imagine if someone were to smoke DMT tinking it only lasted for 5 minutes because theyr ead about it in a newspaper and then 5 hours later they are still completely blown and try to drive?

who then is responsible for having given the information? considering that it is as easy to make as chocolate cake?

beauty is in the eye of the beholder... if ure reveling in the play of the devil, then yeh, no worries... but if u think that this is aceptable... then next time ure in hell dont ask anyone for asistance because no doubt the feathers and snakes and rivers of blood are fantastic to witnes...

shame on selfish lazi and useless primates with no sense of personal or cultural responsibility.

publishing false medical information is a crime!

• Like 1