The Corroboree
Stillman

The Delosperma thread pics welcome

Liking the look of the D. Lemanni. Reminds me of lithops.

bzzz should be posting some of mine...

Not a delo but a Livingstone daisy Spring has sprung a tad early here.

DSCF2125.jpg

Well the mesembryanthemums in general are starting to pump right now. Living stone Daisies are a very cool ground colour if your looking for some wild colour. And all the Lamprangthus and Delospermas are starting to pump out the blooms. I believe alot of these plants could be used in a similar fashion to Sceletium species. Interestingly enough the flowers may contain similar properties but no Oxalic acid.

Some pics

DSCF2288.jpg

DSCF2289.jpg

DSCF2291.jpg

DSCF2290.jpg

DSCF2296.jpg

DSCF2293.jpg

DSCF2285.jpg

And two different seed supplied Delosperma cooperi

both from US sources

Pase seeds looks like maybe a Sceletium species?

DSCF2299.jpg

And West farm seeds looks like a Delosperma at this stage

DSCF2298-1.jpg

• Like 2

Stillman, you definately got taste picking cool plants to grow. Its very likely this thread just fixed me up growing delosperms too. Goddamit i already have so frigging many cacti and succulents and it keeps getting more.

• Like 2

Thanks for the complement EG.

I need to add one more picture of my Dorotheanthus bellidiformis

the colour is amazing.

DSCF2305-1.jpg

• Like 7

I know right, looks like a painting hey. I should have about a million seeds to pass around in a few months if anyone is keen. That or you can buy a pack at Crazy Clarks for 2 dollars.

Did anyone ever tried crossing these? I am sure you could get some very nice colors out of them if you´d cross them. * broad hint to stillman :) *

• Like 1

I intend to do some work with these, definitely have alot of bees working the open bed, so looking forward to what they might have produced.

Please do that. Looking at this thread pretty much convinced me to work with these a bit too. Some of them are actually frost hardy and will survive german winter.

Omg i run out of space. Just started crossing lithops and gymnocalycium too. Not with each other of course. Btw, just saw pics of crosses with gymnocalycium and they had very cool and unique colorations too. Will talk a bit about it in the gymnocalycium thread. Will make about 20-30 crosses next year. Anyone who wants seed just let me know.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 2

The problem that i see with crossing Delospermas is that they seem to be so fertile on the pic that it will be hard to keep a particular cross stable, you know? Lets say you have a very cool flower shape and color and bring them in the ground outside. After a very short time you will have the first natural hybrids that can have a very diffrent flower color as you can see on some of the pics.

I think I will start with try selectively breeding specific colours of Dorotheanthus bellidiformis first, I like those "suburst triple colour ones". Growing them in isolation as best as I can.Once I get a few good something that resembles a true colour off spring then I'll pass some seed around.

I'm keen for some Gymno hybrids I was planning on some hybridising myself. And am definitely up for some seed trading.

wow, your Delospermas look awesome!

I like these plants

My Mesembs:

sceletiumjoubertii3.jpg ...Sceletium joubertii

delospermacooperi4.jpg ...Delosperma cooperi

delospermabosseranum2.jpg ...Delosperma bosseranum

pleiospilusbolusii1.jpg ...Pleiospilus bolusii

sceletiumtortuosum29.jpg ...Sceletium tortuosum

apteniacordifolia20111.jpg[/img] ...Aptenia cordifolia # longifolia

Of course the Delospermas in the pots look tiny compared to yours ;-)

Sceletium joubertii contains active seco-mesembrane alkaloids like Joubertiamine, and is a possibe substitute for Kanna.

Delosperma cooperi was found to contain DMT.

Delosperma bosseranum contains Mesembrine,

Pleiospilus bolusii also contains Mesembrine and related alkaloids

Sceletium tortuosum was additionally found to act on cannabinoid-receptors

Aptenia cordifolia # longifolia can be eaten as salad

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 2

hey EG not only are they frost hardy, but many of them make for excellent ground cover plants

STill, Dorotheanthus bellidiformis wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's a single plant?

hey mind performer

some mesembs with woody branches like to be gradually lifted. They can be pruned to become similar to look like small bonzai trees. in fact your first pic looks like the plant might do a bit better if you lifted it a bit up or remove some of the upper soil.

also, some mesembs, like D.bosseranum form a bulb in the base. this also can be xposed to make it look like a caudex plant.

Mutant theres a few plants in the big bed, each colour is a new plant. But in a spot they like they grow massive. I'm collecting a heap of seed off my Delosperma I have pink, purple white and orange all grown in the one area and the bees are working them flat out so I might get some natural hybridisation from this first generation.

post-11175-0-51251900-1349511211_thumb.j

Pase seeds looks like maybe a Sceletium species?

Did anyone get a positive ID on this one...I have the same one & was thinking sceletium...tortuosum..?

It doesn't seem to grow upright like the tortuosum, this one tends to trail out along the ground. :scratchhead:

It hasn't flowered yet, but it looks exactly the same as the photo above.

post-11175-0-51251900-1349511211_thumb.jpg

post-11175-0-51251900-1349511211_thumb.jpg

Edited by space cadet 101

did you get the seeds from Pase seeds? Mine will be flowering hopefully soon I'll post some pics. I still have no idea what it is and I doubt it can be ided without a flower.

• Like 1

^^^had some cuttings kindly given to me by someone here at SAB, who was under the belief that they were bosseranum...I was given some definite bosseranum from another SABer (same as the cooperi, but a small white flower that only just comes out), same as the photo marked above as bosseranum.

So I'm still trying to work out what the one in the photo is...I'll have to wait for some flower. I've got 2 kanna seedlings & although the leaf looks nearly identical...like I said the growth pattern isn't (going off internet photos).

Did "Pase" sell these to you as bosseranum seeds..?

Edited by space cadet 101

No I got them as Delosperma cooperi which they obviously aren't, lol.

Pase seeds is a seed company in the US I bought from a couple venders over there as I think there is alot of misclassification of these plants and wanted some seed grown to compare.. I think they may be a sceletium species or a hybrid of the too wether this can happen I don't know?

Picked up two new colours today

a red and a dark pink

DSCF2002-10.jpg

DSCF2001-12.jpg

• Like 1

seed grown D cooperi from West farm in the US

This looks like it may be the true species. After spending some time collecting these plants it is remarkable how misclassified they are.

DSCF2002-20.jpg

Please do that. Looking at this thread pretty much convinced me to work with these a bit too. Some of them are actually frost hardy and will survive german winter.

Omg i run out of space. Just started crossing lithops and gymnocalycium too. Not with each other of course. Btw, just saw pics of crosses with gymnocalycium and they had very cool and unique colorations too. Will talk a bit about it in the gymnocalycium thread. Will make about 20-30 crosses next year. Anyone who wants seed just let me know.

would so love to try some seed if possible wont let me sent you a pm cheers kate