The Corroboree
Stillman

The Delosperma thread pics welcome

I am mad for these plants. Aizoaceae, Mesembryanthemum all of them are cool. Have recently started chasing various species. And reading as much as possible on these very interesting succulent. Here's a link to an id thread I started a few days ago.

I accidentally put it in ethno forum instead of succulents and cacti. http://www.shaman-au...showtopic=31803

and a couple new pics

DSCF2009.jpg

Sedum Rubrotinctum

DSCF2008.jpg

possibly a species Delosperma

DSCF2005-2.jpg

D. lehmannii

DSCF2003-4.jpg

DSCF2002-3.jpg

Possibly D. cooperi but more probably Lampranthus roseus

DSCF2005-1.jpg

DSCF2004-2.jpg

Delosperma sp

If anyone else is a keen collector pm me and I will try and sort out some seeds or fresh cuttings. Also if you have any you would like to trade please pm, I am keen on other varieties of Delosperma cooperi apparently it comes in pink ? I am hoping I may already have it lol.

Add pics of your own plants etc if you like.

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 1

photo number three looks a lot like it might be delosperma lehmannii?

• Like 1

And I would say you are 100% I was using Trouts notes as a guide. I looked at the plant in the pic and I thought it was the same as mine I don't think it is. Perhaps wishful thinking on my part. Thanks for that.

Edited by Stillman

no worries man, lehmannii is one of the few succulents i have that are properly labelled haha.

speaking of which, i'd be interested in an ID for that first picture if you find out what it is, pretty sure i have the same plant.

Hunting down unusual or even usual Delosperma species if anyone has any to trade or give away. PM if anyone is interested . Thanks.

ps I was going to put up a thread in Trades but thought it would be good to keep all this in one thread.

hey cool plants

I am growing barius genuses of this beautiful plants.

Some can be grown into succulent bonzais, and I have started a few project in regards,I found out some delosperma [white flower, supposed to active like sceletium,forgetting the species] tends to form a bulbous root too.

there some funky ones like aloinopsis and titanopsis..

again amazing family of plants

• Like 1

Some vibrant coloured flowers D cooperi from 2 sources one plant produces quite small flowers in comparison to the other but both key as D cooperi, they are very interesting plants, environmental conditions seem to have a large influence on growth an deven distance between nodes etc

DSCF2166.jpg

DSCF2165.jpg

• Like 1

I think those that you name as D.cooperi are differtent plants.

I got something that resembles the first plant a lot, but I remember from older conversations that it's not that easy to really tell the species.

The second D/cooperi has flat leaves, from what I see.

I will try to take some shots from my own mesembryanthemums/Aizoaceae

cheers

They are definitely different plants mutant, wether they are both D cooperi. The first plant I am confident is D cooperi cv or some sort. The second specimen is a cutting from a member here, I believe it to be a a cultivar of d cooperi but I want to grow it out and see how environmental conditions may alter leaf structure growth habit etc, the leaf is flat on top rounded underneath. There really isn't alot of reading out there on Azoaceae. What I am currently doing is buying up any and all delosperma (and other species) plants seeds etc keeping a record of names places I bought them and a photo journal. By summer I will have alot of different information, that I hope will get me close to keying these plants properly. Mutant if you get a chance some pics of your plants would be excellent.

1. P1060445.jpg

planted and neglected, doesnt look bad

2. P1060422.jpg

two different species side by side

3. P1060413.jpg

the cooperi look alike

P1060414.jpg

P1060415.jpg

butterflies love the flower, this is a pretty established and thriving plant

are delos very long lived plants? they seem to only live 3 yrs at my dads, they get big, then just die?

my d. bosseranum must me at least 5 years old.

Mutant # 3 looks like the money.

I think depending on environmental factors they are a short perennial there is an old lady near us who says she has had her plant for 20 years but it could have self seeded in that time? do they get a redening in the stems when it cools down or gets dry?

Mine live in a colder climate and stay indoors during winter, they just dry out a bit and get new green parts, 5 or 6 years old so far.

Edited by amanito

aha!

D.bosseranum is the name I was looking for, I think. Small white flower, huh? This makes bulbous roots eventually, for me its a candidate for a bonzai plant project.

Also in my experience these plants NEVER die, meaning the big one, the "D.cooperi" . veryhardyplants indeed.

but hey, I am only into it for 4+ years. the ones depicted are exposed to the elements, and it gets a bit colder than my roof there.

Stillman, if its the right cooperi, then its the fastest growing of what I have seen.

I have a some other pictures /species, plus some species I am not sure what genus they are, or if they are even in Aizoaceae - will come back

• Like 1

Mutant from my reading I think there are hundreds of different cvs of cooperi I just recently ordered some pink carpet cv seeds and I have a couple plants here with the trade name pink sun?? Its very confusing lol your plant 1 may be a cultivar of Delosperma floribundum possibly 'Starburst'. The flowers look right from the images I have found. I do think plant 3 is a cooperi of some sorts. Mate if you ever collect seeds I would like to do a trade one day.

Edited by Stillman

I do think plant 3 is a cooperi of some sorts. Mate if you ever collect seeds I would like to do a trade one day.

sure. are seeds dust-like? I only have them spontaneously sometimes, never sowed them...

Edited by mutant

they are pretty small like small cacti seeds, not as small as some succulents though.

and yep they can get the stem reddening you mention...

DSCF2344.jpg

Oscularia deltoides

DSCF2342.jpg

bought as Delosperma congestum will have to wait till it flowers

I also came across a very big Delosperma basuticum the other day but need to see it flower to be sure.

Heres some pics of some D cooperii seedlings

DSCF2346.jpg

one out doors have short day period and winter like conditions have that distinct redness that the outdoor adult plants seem to have currently.

The indoor with much longer day period are obviously growing quicker but the colour interests me.

I might do an experiment on photoperiod down the track.

DSCF2347.jpg

Edited by Stillman

first pic of post #22 I thinkI got this too. have youIDed it?

delosperma seedlings are very funny! keep this thread up

Oscularia deltoides purple flower was in Lampranthus originally.

Just noticed this today with the sun out. This plant seems to have pinker flowers in winter then in warmer months? Not sure if this is a day period or temp or both issue.

Flowering plant today

DSCF2002-5.jpg

and a few months ago ( around the start of April) Plant was bought as a white with pink throat flower I think?

DSCF2004-2.jpg

Anyway the suns out after a week of rain and a few "iceplants" are in flower.

DSCF2012.jpg I still can't id the frigging things lol. I think maybe Lampranthus roseus?

And some Delosperma cooperi seedlings from two seed sources in the US

Pase seeds

DSCF2001-5.jpg

and I think West seeds these look more correct at this stage?

DSCF2005-3.jpg

DSCF2003-5.jpg