The Corroboree
Stillman

Cacti nursery.. Road Trip September 2012 need advice on were to go?

So I am road tripping with the family to go see relatives in Victoria, Murtleford (spelling) and Melbourne. Coming from QLD so am looking to go to some cool nurseries farms etc that may be open to the public on the way or otherwise. Have around 2 weeks to play with so am keen to do some day trips around Vic.

PM me or post here on anything you guys think I should check out, and thanks in advance.

Oh my god! I was about to post almost the exact same thread last night/this morning! Great minds think alike ay lol

I dont know of anywhere really, Landilo (Hamilton's) is the only one I really know of.. Sorry mate

RF

this garden is couple of hours from melbourne and the owners quite happily sell trich cuts..and a really nice guy him and his wife...maybe worth the drive from melbourne as bendigo is a nice city for a family drive..you will be in awe at the monsters here a real treat 80 years of growth!

http://www.bendigoad...se/2467311.aspx

and there also cacti country..really nice people also which has a couple of hectares of cacti..

http://cactuscountry.com.au/

another nice nursery worth having a look at thats and hour from melb and well worth a peek is roraima..a very knowledgeable chap runs this place!but all the good stuff you gotta ask for and you would be surprised at the raritys he mysteriously goes and retrieves from his greenhouses, always full of surprises...

http://www.roraimanu...om.au/cacti.php

Edited by applesnail
  • Like 1

OH MY GOD! lol

I just may have to organise something with you Stillman haha, give you a couple hundred and pick up something from each place you go to haha..

I'm seriously planning something like this in the future but im going from almost Adelaide all the way up to Townsville.. Would that be the wrong coast to search for trich's and slow growers? **Not high jacking** just asking..

Back to the topic at hand :)

RF

adelaide to townsville thats nice run to fill the car with a jail sentence of financial freedom! :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Lol I was only going to look at the nursery's

Edit - I know what you mean though.. Sucks

Edited by Rumple Foreskin

yes no condoning of driving an unregistered vehicle full of gold bullion to take advantage of the interstate exchange rates, or self incrimination in the forum! :wink:

Lets go back to the topic at hand :)

Thanks AS

RF

• Like 1

From my experience there are no trich nurseries or even established gardens in QLD even the botanical gardens is a bit of a let down. It seems the really well established places are either northern NSW or Vic.

Applesnail Thanks for the links I will check it out I was hoping on getting to Cactus country definitely.

One of my wife's Uncles has a very large column cactus in his yard out near Murtleford from pics looks like a big bridge or peruvianus I intend to get a few good pieces of that. If I can buy some cuts from other places along the way all the better but I would be happy just to have a look around and take some pics. I have alot of cool seeds growing and am learning to be patient. lol

OMG, OMG, OMG the old quarantine station is now open for sales.

I just wet my pants...

Edited by AndyAmine.
  • Like 1

I was going to ask the same thing? ^

White Hills (pictured below) is well worth it IMO

6986812965_935e0a1bc9_b.jpg

So is Cactus Country.

If you are near Springvale when you get to Melbourne, there is also Collectors Corner.

OMG, OMG, OMG the old quarantine station is now open for sales.

I just wet my pants...

Whats that?

Also known as White Hills.

White Hills cactus garden a prickly paradise

CHLOE ROSS

25 Feb, 2012 03:00 AM

A HERITAGE cacti garden will be opened to the public for the first time since 1985 today as part of Open Gardens Australia.

The White Hills property has had a long history of gardening since the first seeds were planted by Tom Dawson and Justin Gill in 1929.

The garden’s current owners, John Martin and Lisa Burge, said about 400 species would be on display, including a number of mystery varieties.

“Tom (Dawson) travelled the world, sourcing many of the original seeds himself from South America, Africa and England,” Mr Martin said.

“There would have been up to 2000 species at one point. Because they were brought out here in the 30s, very few can be named.

“There was an inventory taken in the 1960s; we’re now looking to track down those records.”

Mr Martin and Ms Burge bought the property upon Mr Dawson’s death in 1990.

“When Tom and Justin established the garden it was used as a quarantine station for cacti and succulent plants imported into Australia,” Mr Martin said.

“It was turned into a commercial nursery in 1938 and at its peak housed 2000 cacti and succulent varieties.”

Mr Martin now hopes to restore the garden to its former glory, reopening the site as a nursery under its original name Dawson and Gill.

“It has had some hard times,” he said. “Some plants have been stolen over the years.

‘‘In one instance the thieves were pulled over by police for a licence check and the cactus plants were sitting on the back seat. They were returned to the garden and have since doubled in size.”

Mr Martin said some of the more established cacti had grown 20 to 30 feet high and could weigh up to five tonnes.

“We do have a lot of rare species here, ones you can’t go to a normal nursery and buy,” he said.

“Over the weekend seeds collected from these plants will be on sale. A lot of people say they have driven past this place for years and always been curious.

“It will be exciting to finally open it up for them... even if they don’t want to buy they are welcome to have a look.”

Not-for-profit organisation Open Gardens Australia each year unveils private gardens across Australia to promote the knowledge and pleasure of gardening.

Entry today is $6 and the cacti gardens will open as a nursery on Monday.

isn't fields in victoria? i've never been there but i hear it's awesome.

I had no idea some of these exsisted :) May have to have a drive around North NSW and Vic..