The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
zelly

unknown trich

Question

Hey guys I need help identifying this trich. Typically it matures out and flowers around 60 cm & is very reluctant to pup.

The flesh is always a really deep dark green & I 'think' the sub species name ends with 'cola'.

post-3765-0-96757900-1333640571_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-36133400-1333640602_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-47617700-1333640627_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-96757900-1333640571_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-36133400-1333640602_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-47617700-1333640627_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-96757900-1333640571_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-36133400-1333640602_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-47617700-1333640627_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

Well almost too rare...how did you get the plant?

~Michael~

Got it at an annual plant show at a local college 2-3 yrs ago.

So what do you think Michael?

Top it & hope for pups or just Bap it...

Bought one on ebay from someone in belgium in 2007 and havent seen one ever since on the open market. It like to be grown as a hanging basket cactus. Paid like 50 bucks and it didnt grow very much since then. But it does pup naturally. It has been attacked from slugs very agressively in the past and i went on to keep it in the greenhouse for the whole summer as its probably the cactus that slugs and snails like the most in my collection.

Edited by Evil Genius

zelly, was the "plant show" held by a cactus and succulent organization, or just some random plant sale with cactus thrown in for shits and giggles? I'm with eg in that it should pup a bit easier if T. arboricola, and should also be more of a hanging type, but honestly I have no idea what it might be. Definitely a Trichocereus, but maybe just one of the many dozens of hybrids that are commonly sold. Certainly would be nice if it was T. arboricola. Maybe you could just labile it for the time being as "Trichocereus aff. arboricola." Very pretty plant all the same.

~Michael~

The annual plant sale was hosted by the local cactus & succulent club, and the arboricola came from one of the members. I joined the club for a yr or so but dropped out because the monthly meetings were too far away. I'm fairly certain now it is an arboricola, as it was labeled as such when I got it. The sun faded the white plastic label so much it broke off and all that was left in the soil was a piece that said 'cola'. If the recent flower doesn't set fruit I'll probably top the plant. Or maybe I'll make contact with the club again & see if I can track down the grower.

At the same show was a wholesaler showing off his wares, some being custom bred T. grandiflorus hybrids. I started to take some pics of them, but he came running over & said no pics were allowed as he wanted to protect his 'copyrighted' hybrids. They were magnificent, & waay over priced.

post-3765-0-76169300-1333727940_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-76169300-1333727940_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-76169300-1333727940_thumb.jpg

Gorgeous plant, its hard to get an idea of size without something for scale but the flowers look particularly delicate & diminutive, how big were they?, thanks for the post.

Soft spines?, I just want to run my fingers down that cactus.

Some very nice hybrids there, 'copyright' :lol:

"The sun faded the white plastic label so much it broke off and all that was left in the soil was a piece that said 'cola'."

There's a trick for that, stick the tag all the way into the dirt so only the the very top is showing, sometimes you may have to dig around to find them but they never get lost & the labels stay legible for a realy long time.

Yeah, that definitely offers a bit more clarity by it being from a C&S society event. Wish I had that plant, but then again I haven't looked.

Now if I can only figure out how a photo can be detrimental to his so-called "copyright." Funny though when you think about how his own hybrids are probably the offspring of hybrids themselves...maybe even copyrighted ones!

~Michael~

lol, thats the kind of behaviour that mediocre cactus breeders on an ego trip show. Those grandiflorus hybrids arent good. Flowers arent multi-colored and flower size is still typically small for grandiflorus. Thats how grandiflorus would flower within a certain area in nature. Only good thing is the general appearance of the plants. But thats all. I appreciate the beauty of the plants but thats nothing what the breeder did on purpose or that can be copyrighted. Its nature. Trying to claim ownership-rights on a natural plant is ridiculous.

Im really sure its Arboricola. I´ve been watching the species very closely for a few years now because i want to breed with it. I wouldnt know a similar one that looks and flowers like this. Its really a great find. Congratulations, Zelly. If i were you, i would never sell that plant.

Edited by Evil Genius