The Corroboree
Belching

Unknown echinopsis and badass succulent

Question

I purchased this cactus from Bunnings a few months back - the tag just said 'echinopsis'. As you can see, it's pupping like mad, so it'll be a good display regardless of what it is.

Also I saw this succulent at the local botanical gardens. I need it in my life. :wub: I know it's not really a typical id request for this forum, but any light you can shed would be greatly appreciated.

post-11078-0-59720300-1333610386_thumb.j

post-11078-0-65471500-1333610422_thumb.p

post-11078-0-59720300-1333610386_thumb.jpg

post-11078-0-65471500-1333610422_thumb.png

post-11078-0-59720300-1333610386_thumb.jpg

post-11078-0-65471500-1333610422_thumb.png

22 answers to this question

The cactus looks like echinopsis (Trichocereus) spachianus to me. Crazy pupping there, especially from such a young one!

I have NFI about the other, but it looks very cool indeed.

i reckon Agave gypsophila.

Nice looking plant!

Thanks for the replies! I am so grateful that this forum exists. I'm labelling as spachianus. The pupping started a few weeks after I bought it, and hasn't let up yet.

Gypsohila looks right - now to find a vendor! I love huge, imposing Daedric-style plants. Don't really have the space to grow it but I will make space. Need this sucka.

Edited by Belching
  • Like 1

Don't really have the space to grow it but I will make space. Need this sucka.

Geez. Don't we all know THAT feeling! Lol

Definitely Agave gypsophila, but that Echinopsis is one of the low growing clumpers, not a columnar, so a label might be a bit premature just yet. Let it mature a bit more, especially the spination, in good lighting and re-post in a bit and I'll see if I can ID it, but right now it looks a little to immature, if not from age then from growing conditions.

~Michael~

What would cause such intense pupping of a plant at that age? Stress?

It's not that it is necessarily young, just that it is grown in less than optimal conditions. Pupping is common, in some cases regular, in the globular Echinopsis.

~Michael~

From what I hear Michael, you are one of the cacti Connaceurs(how ever u spell it) :P

Thanks for the reply

RF

One of the reasons that spachianus is considered trichocereus instead of echinopsis is that it does NOT clump like this. Its not a spachianus.

And this ^^ is from what I hear the other Cacti connacuers :) lol

Yeah you know, the problem is that there are SO many diffrent Echinopsis Varieties, that i still dont know them all. And thats only the botanical species. There are german Echinopsis breeders that have an output of 500-1000 hybrids each and every year. So you´ll have to bring it to flower first. It certainly is an Echinopsis but we´ll have to wait. It has slight similarities to Echinopsis Crassicaulis but its not it. Spination looks diffrent. Would like to see the flower in the future.

Alright, removing the label. M S Smith, you said that the pupping could be caused by less-than-optimal conditions. Currently the plant is on a verandah (concrete-floored) that gets around 4 hours of direct sunlight a day. I live in NQ, so temps are around 22 - 30c atm. I water roughly fortnightly, every second watering is with a 10ml/9L solution of Seasol. Is there anything I should be doing/shouldn't be doing that would improve conditions?

I'll post more pics when it's had time to grow. I'm still very new to cacti, as is probably very blatant at this point. I greatly appreciate the discussion. :)

Could be because of the growing conditions but there are some types of Echinopsis that just pup no matter where they are. Just had this discussion with another grower because there are some cultivars that are known for their puppung abilities. Take off the pups as they take away nutrients from the main plant and keep it from flowering. Its naturally designed to procreate and does this on cost of the nutrients it could use to create some kickass flowers.

I have a heap of these globuliar echinopsis, they pup like mad, they are some sort of Hybrid. I actually rang up collectors corner and Hamilton's to find out what they were. I have used them as graft stock and they pump. They in my experience and my climate grow about 10 cm across. and will flower heavily most have white flowers but red and peach coloured are common too. Nice little ornamentals.

after taking another look it could even be a Lobivia x echinopsis (Lobivia are now classified as echinopsis)

Alright, removing the label. M S Smith, you said that the pupping could be caused by less-than-optimal conditions.

Well the pupping is natural, but the "look" of immaturity, particularly the spines not reaching what would appear to be their full potential in size and shading, is caused by too few hours in strong sunlight. More hours in the sun would be optimal to have it show its full potential, something that would be helpful for getting the most accurate ID.

Connoisseur certainly has a bit less baggage than accusing me of being an expert...so thanks!

~Michael~

Edited by M S Smith

Connoisseurs, that's gold! -Only the finest tasting trichos in their collections Rumple.

• Like 1

Connoisseur

con a sewer?

Shhhh

lol

One of the reasons that spachianus is considered trichocereus instead of echinopsis is that it does NOT clump like this. Its not a spachianus.

Cheers EG

Apologies for the bum-steer Belching

I have a that enchinopsis and it pups like that all the time no idea what its called tho

the succulent is commonly known as blue curl I'll remember the name soon i have a bunch of them if you want to trade :-)