The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
migraineur

How to Protect Plants During Winter?

Hi, guys.

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on caring for my plants during Winter in Perth. I have some young/small B. Caapi plants and P. Viridis as well as some young catha edulis plants/seedlings.

Can I leave these outside or should I bring them inside or something? Last year they were small enough to put in my laundry but they have grown and have been transplanted into bigger pots so space will be an issue.

I'd say the Khat and the caapi will be OK. The caapi will almost stop growing but it should bounce back in spring.

The viridis won't like it and will need a protected spot, I'd be tempted to bring them in at night if you have the space.

Maybe you could rig up an improv greenhouse with a tarp if you have frost predicted. Think of frost like a liquid, it will flow to the low points and accumulate there first so those areas should be avoided. If you get a really cold night with a deep frost it will freeze everything so check your weather reports and be prepared.

I Bough a fairly small greenhouse on eBay for, Around $90

It's great as it seem to stabilized the temperature . So to not cause to much temperature stress.

Arsea

Edited by Arsea

A good way to maintain heat overnight in a greenhouse is with sealed containers/drums of water.

Painting them to absorb heat during the day helps a lot. Mission brown actually absorbs and radiates heat better than black :wink:

here's a great vid for you

This guy has the same enthusiasm as Peter Cundall... I like it.. :)

Edited by space cadet 101