The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
-bijanto-

Witchcraft Store in Java (Heavy Images)

Sorry to load with so many images.

I came across a new witchcraft store located nearby (Java, Indonesia). There are a lot of stores like that but this one is bigger and has more unusual things: animal head bones, stones, dried sea creatures etc.

Some people here still believe that they must give certain "things" to the spirits if they want to avoid bad luck or to get prosperity. This belief is one the animism elements that still belongs to many ppl. They have rituals in certain events, especially on a Thursday night that occurs only once for every 35 days according to Javanese calendar. They believe, in that night, spirits and evils are coming to the human's world.

Generally the givings to the spirits include: aromatic flowers and plant parts like jasmine, ylang-ylang (Cananga odorata), frangipani, and smells from burnt incense made of bark resin of 'Kemenyan' tree (Styrax benzoin), jaringau root (Acorus calamus) etc. But mostly it depends on their shaman's advices.

normal_witchcraft1.jpgnormal_witchcraft2.jpgnormal_witchcraft3.jpgnormal_witchcraft6.jpg

[ 02. August 2005, 13:16: Message edited by: -bijanto- ]

probably a fair few rare and endangered species body parts in amongst it all!!

A friend once found a turtle-shell just like that one (3rd pic down, hanging from the beam above and just to the right of the broom) when we were tripping along a beach. It was so cool - I wanted to use it as a breastplate and make an oufit with other bones & shells & feathers, etc, but he ended up keeping it :(

I did find some cool sea-urchin skeletons & other shells though - my dreams for the rest of the day were full of spirals... :D

So what's in the bottom photo?

P.S. I want that water-buffalo skull? - very cool! :D

[ 04. August 2005, 06:55: Message edited by: strangebrew ]

quote:

So what's in the bottom photo?

They're coconuts. You can eat it or give it to the spirit :D

Everything in that store is cheap I think. Never speak to the owner, though.

Hmm, so a humble coconut keeps evil spirit's at bay huh? I'll have to remember that next time one comes a-calling. "Here have a coconut!" :D

I wonder what they sell to women to keep 'Kolor Ijo' away? :P

Man I loved that TV show in Indo, television is so much more entertaining over there. If ever you find a VCD of it Bijanto I'd happily pay to get it sent over or better yet a T-shirt - but maybe Indonesians aren't that crass. :rolleyes:

I found a VCD of the film but the TV show is much better.

Well, to keep kolor ijo away, they said that women should put on a piece of small yellow bamboo stick and some kelor (Moringa oleivera) leaves above their house door. :)

The film was inspired by the reports from several women admitted having raped by a short guy with big belly, long ears, ugly nose, lots of hair and wearing nothing but green short, underwear pant. The news was spreading quickly. It was said that the evil guy had to fuck 400 women as a requirement to be able to get immortality power. The police said that they finaly arrested the raper but the fear and gossip didn't stop that easy.

You have the VCD? I'm surprised..!! :D Where did you get that from? I've never noticed it sold, but if I find one, I'll let you know (forget the payment).

I hate that TV series. Believe this, if you're surrounded by ridiculous things like that during the whole life, you'll be sick. "Return to Eden" is a lot more entertaining.

A local dude with graphical skill tried to picture who the kolor ijo really was, take a look:

normal_realkolorijo.jpg

[ 05. August 2005, 10:32: Message edited by: -bijanto- ]

Haha, I'm sure the ladies wouldn't have minded too much if Kolor Ijo was really Superman!

Just the fact that the monster is called 'Green Underpants' cracks me up. I've tried to find a picture of him from the TV show but to no avail unfortunately, he is hilarious! I really do think Australian TV needs a funny looking monster with green underpants. I think the show would be a cult hit late at night on SBS. Anything would be better than that '80's Greek soap-opera. :rolleyes:

So he is a new myth? I remember first seeing a small story in the local paper about 3 years ago on Kolor Ijo. Is that when it started?

I found the VCD of the film in a market stall in Bukittinggi. Indonesians seem to love their horror films. I noticed at the local VCD rental shop all the old cannibal/zombie films, some of which are still banned/edited in Australia, were available.