The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Sallubrious

Soil PH test

Does anyone know of a soil PH test kit available in Oz that is reliable ?

I've got a Manutec brand test kit that gives me unreliable results. It was supposedly developed by the CSIRO but it's not worth a knob of goat shit. It is a few years old though so maybe they don't last very long.

I did have a cheap probe type meter many years ago but the results were all over the place with it too. I could mix in a shit-ton of lime and retest and the result would be same as the test without the lime.

I don't really want to spend a fortune but I will need to use it fairly regularly so I've looked at a few meters on Ebay.

I saw this one http://www.ebay.com....=item2c640bff89 and it says "accurate" but I don't know if I can believe retailers hype.

Has anyone got a meter or a kit that they are happy with ?

yeah mate, we use Inoculo kits at work, and have done for years.

Thanks Lokstok

I came across that yesterday, but I wasn't sold on it.

I'll pick one up and give it whirl.

Thanks for your opinion, it's always good to get an opinion that's not based on a sales pitch.

Maybe I'll pick up a few PH meters too and do some side by side tests.

That's interesting, they have one on that site for 95 bucks before GST that looks the same as the one I was looking at on Ebay for circa 35 bucks.

Maybe that model is considered entry level by that company. They aren't flogging garbage so they seem to know what they are talking about.

Thanks.

yeah shop around first always pays to if buying online, i have one the top ones(the first one in the list) and they work really well the one they got for $197....last forever if well looked after...cheers and gd luck!

Edited by applesnail

Sally, what sort of accuracy are you after and what ph range will it see (min/max you'd expect to measure)?

I'm an instrument engineer, so can probably offer some sound advice, but need to know what it has to do first.

ed

My needs are a bit different to the average "Yates" gardening guidelines. I find the ranges recommended by chemical based agriculture are in some ways different to my observations of plants fed on humates. I can grow most plants as well or better at nearly neutral PH than Yates would recommend.

I use a basalt rock dust as an amendment to most of my soils and composts which is alkaline so the important part of the range for me is around PH 6.8 - 7.8. One decimal point would fine foe accuracy, possibly even overkill as my main need is to keep the PH down below about 7.3 for most plants.

The rock dust gives most plants a real boost, but it is very easy to overdo it and cause nutrient lockups and deficiencies particularly on this site where there is a tendency for soils to be alkaline.

Interesting thread, I'm also on the look out for a good & relatively well priced ph meter.

You can also use a digital meter with 1 part soil to 5 parts water..

Does that give a true reading or does it need to be adjusted to compensate for the dilution ?

Edited by SallyD

No compensation for the dulution

It's a method thats been used for many years by commercial farmers..

No probs :wink:

By weight or by volume?

By weight or by volume?

that would be weight