The Corroboree
paradox

looking for dragon fruit

hi good people, i'm looking to trade for cuttings of self pollinating dragon fruit.. i don't know much about them (except they're effing delicious) though i've heard something about some varieties being self pollinating & some not, so i definitely only want the former :) either red or white varieties are fine as long as they are self fertile! also if possible i would like to get a number of different clones so i can cross pollinate too!

i have various trich spp i can trade.. if you don't want those then i will pay $ if the price is reasonable :)

thanks heaps, hope you can help!

Dam shame I have no cuttings but I have seeds if you want a few for free

i have a red (i think) dragon fruit stem that has 2 new growths on it that i can spare, fully rooted and good to go. pm me if your keen

I've seen the red fruits in local supermarket, would it be worth buying one in an attempt to grow it from the seed or would it be better just to buy a plant from somewhere?

They're some insane price anyway which is why I didn't buy one. :wacko:

i got tons of cutting material of that one, it definately self fruits, as i'm getting heaps of fruit and have only this one cultivar.

@ random - seeds from store bought fruit are fine to plant out. I usually cut a small piece off the end of some when I eat them and clean off and plant the seeds and get really good germination rates. They are probably hybrids though, so the plants arent likely to grow true to the fruit you get them from.

I also have red seedlings and white cuttings available if OP is still interested =]

• Like 1

hi there was wondering if cutting of white dragon fruit still available cheers kate

On a scale of 1-10,

red fruit-white flesh = 5

red fruit-red flesh = 6

yellow flesh-white fruit = 10+

(selenicereus megalanthus)

I think this is the one I picked up at a market recently....the guy said it was vietnamese :scratchhead:

He also said that whatever you grow them up, that they won't set fruit until they're at the top of their host plant/pole.

They need to reach a certain amount of weight etc before they will fruit. You can grow them like a vine or you can train them to grow like a 'tree' which is what the Viets do.

I have all 3 varieties. I've also got a couple whose variety is unknown to me at the moment. I will have to wait until they are big enough to fruit before I find out.

• Like 1

I think this is the one I picked up at a market recently....the guy said it was vietnamese :scratchhead:

He also said that whatever you grow them up, that they won't set fruit until they're at the top of their host plant/pole.

They need to reach a certain amount of weight etc before they will fruit. You can grow them like a vine or you can train them to grow like a 'tree' which is what the Viets do.

I have all 3 varieties. I've also got a couple whose variety is unknown to me at the moment. I will have to wait until they are big enough to fruit before I find out.

Anybody can say anything they want, factual or otherwise. I bought a megalanthus at a local plant fair that was slightly over 1 meter in length & rooted in a 20 cm pot. I had it no less than 6 months & it flowered & set fruit.

A rooted cutting of a red fruit white flesh variety also fruited for me & the vine was around a half a meter long, also in a 20 cm pot.

Maybe being root bound in the pots played a role in them flowering & setting fruit.

Maybe a mechanism in a plant that is root bound & under watered / under nourished senses its days are numbered, which triggers it into flowering & reproduction. That's my theory anyway. :wink:

haven't tried that one, but the other two i'd rate at 0.

no taste at all really.

Maybe being root bound in the pots played a role in them flowering & setting fruit.

Maybe a mechanism in a plant that is root bound & under watered / under nourished senses its days are numbered, which triggers it into flowering & reproduction. That's my theory anyway. :wink:

I think that's a common occurrence and accepted as fact.

I've never seen any double blind studies to prove it, but many people (myself included) have observed it.

i think they flower and set fruit, if they recieve a lot of light, some of my plants are in the shade and they never flower allthough, they are as big as my fruiting plant. i noticed they need to be picked early, for a tangy flavour, once you let them ripen too much, they turn awfully sweet (same as kiwi fruits).

thanks for all the offers & info everyone, is very much appreciated! :) along with being helped out by lots of members i've stumbled upon a shit load of really nice plants in the last couple days & got dragon fruits coming out of my ears! thanks again... is real good to get some advice for successful growing

• Like 1