The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
solomon

Hairy San Pedro pup??

Question

Typical San Pedro found in gardens throughout NZ

When this was an unrooted cutting it threw out what I assumed was a flower bud as it resembled others I had seen (hairy, overlapping "scales")

It eventually turned into this:

post-7609-0-93548200-1332815626_thumb.jp

post-7609-0-54518300-1332815635_thumb.jp

post-7609-0-56238100-1332815643_thumb.jp

What's going on here?

Have heaps of cuttings of the same plant and this is the only one to have a hairy pup..

Edit: hmm, this thread mentions something similar http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26326 (posts #9)

post-7609-0-93548200-1332815626_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-54518300-1332815635_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-56238100-1332815643_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-93548200-1332815626_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-54518300-1332815635_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-56238100-1332815643_thumb.jpg

Edited by centipede

17 answers to this question

Hi Centipede, can you post pics of the other cuttings please? Did you ever see a flower on one of these?

Edited by Evil Genius

Hey EG thanks for the reply

I didn't post pics of the other cuttings as they really are your run of the mill pachanoi, I usually use it all for grafting stock. I will get some pics up tomorrow of the other cuttings showing typical growth.

Flowers on other cuttings of the same plant are the same as on other pachanoi I have seen.

i thought the same thing EG, it certainly is unusual. the top part of the pup visible in the first pic does look trichocerei, so i hope it is. i also hope the trait persists, may be a new oddity curculating NZ soon :).

also centipede, you linked to the corroboree home page, not to the thread you meant to.

Thats some sick shit, Cent. :lol:

Never seen something like this on a San Pedro. Kinda reminded me of Thelegonus mixed with Pachanoi. Looks definately cool. You should try to breed with this. Would love to see how the F2 would look like.

edit: you know, its not only the hairs but also the small recangular patches that form the body. Very strange. Would love to see one of the others if you find the time. Maybe this is a semi-monstrose pup but hairs? cmmon, if that thing would be human, it would be like MANBEARPIG.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

i thought the same thing EG, it certainly is unusual. the top part of the pup visible in the first pic does look trichocerei, so i hope it is. i also hope the trait persists, may be a new oddity curculating NZ soon :).

also centipede, you linked to the corroboree home page, not to the thread you meant to.

cheers, edited :Phttp://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26326

Your link does'nt work.

I remember Ed saying something about a flower that turned into a pup on one of his plants, would be here somewhere in the search engine.

I think like you say a flower started but somehow turned into a pup, truly fascinating.

Thanks for the pics.

The links should be working now.

This should show it's normal growth a bit better, will get photos of a mature specimen tomorrow:

post-7609-0-72143900-1332834377_thumb.jp

cheers shruman, here is another thread which mentions reverting flowers (MSS post #4) http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12238

Just a note too...the "limb" forming in the 5th photo looks more like a flower bud, but these can start as flowers and "revert" to limbs, leaving a very interesting limb base even though the column eventually takes on the standard rib count.

post-7609-0-72143900-1332834377_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-72143900-1332834377_thumb.jpg

Edited by centipede

Alright, thanks for clearing up. Seems this is a Trichocereus with rather hairy areoles and the one you first posted could be a semi-monstrose pup it threw because of the aborted flower or something like that. The combination of the weird patches and the hairs looked really odd at first but it kinda makes sense as there are quite a few Trichos with hairy areoles. Please keep us updated. Its definately a neat-looking cutting.

Edited by Evil Genius

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5672&st=0&p=50979&hl=flower&fromsearch=1entry50979

"My bridgesoid, Eileen, has one pup the same as that in the first two pics.

At about this time last year two flower buds formed on the central limb approx 18" from the top. Within a few weeks they'd lost their hair and turned into pups. One is near identical to the pics above in shape and about 6" long, while the other is typical of the plant, 12" long, and much fatter.

What lighting/temp regime are you giving them salvi?

Does anyone have theories re the flower to pup change?

One day I'll get a camera."

As shruman mentions (good memory mate) I've had the same occurrence, as has Salvi.

From memory Ordine of Urban Tribes had similar happen the same year. That Christmas (03/04) cactii all across the country went crazy flowering for some reason or other, and I'd always attributed it to whatever caused this.

I think the pup I had (one of two/three that "pine-appled" but it showed signs most of it's length whereas the other two reverted to general bridgesoid growth within a few inches from their base) went to rev, so it should still be growing.

The following link has pictures of the most pine-appled pup at approx two years when they were removed.

http://www.shaman-au...h=1

ed

Edited by reshroomED

post-1464-0-04149000-1332993096_thumb.jppost-1464-0-12207500-1332993115_thumb.jppost-1464-0-90435400-1332993124_thumb.jp

Had a couple of these the season just gone, one on a yowie tip that had snapped off the main plant, too top heavy, tip was smashed in so i cut it off and the flower/pup came out soon after and to begin with it was very hairy....... think i showed interbeing that one. The ones pictured are from an old cutting that i recently harvested the tips from. The base produced the flower pups. The base was from an old pedro and it had flowered many times so i assumed that the pups came out from where the plant was ready to flower before i cut it years ago, the flower buds already formed in the plant and dormant jjust waiting for the flowering hormones but instead different hormones were produced and the plant wanted to grow rather than flower. Im guessing the yowie tip that did the same would have flowered during the summer but fate had other plans.

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00306.jpg

DSC00307.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00306.jpg

DSC00307.jpg

• Like 1

I think I had a similar thing on one of my NZ Pachanoi plants. Basically it was a cutting that came from a huge flowering plant, and then I rooted it (and then I planted it... )....

... Anyway, it had a flower bud that eventually just got fed up and grew normally. I think from memory flowers are a later addition to the DNA, so this is possible. Basically DNA is like the Diablo II expansion pack; you can play D2 without Frozen throne, but not vice versa.

• Like 2

Thanks Ed

yeah that was the thread I was looking for, guess I gave up too early. I remembered because I had one that done it a little bit aswell, grew out pretty normal looking albeit with 10 ribs until it was about 25 cm then dropped some.

I wonder if Rev still has it?, last I was talking to him he said a fire had taken out alot of his cacti :(

You've got some chestnut's here Ed & good to see you post. Actualy the other day I remembered you reccomended a book on free camps, I UTSE, found your posts & bought myself a copy, Camps australia wide 6, can't wait to try it out. So a big Thanks you for all your contributions :wub:

TSE theres gold in dem dar hills...

Thanks Ed

yeah that was the thread I was looking for, guess I gave up too early. I remembered because I had one that done it a little bit aswell, grew out pretty normal looking albeit with 10 ribs until it was about 25 cm then dropped some.

I wonder if Rev still has it?, last I was talking to him he said a fire had taken out alot of his cacti :(

You've got some chestnut's here Ed & good to see you post. Actualy the other day I remembered you reccomended a book on free camps, I UTSE, found your posts & bought myself a copy, Camps australia wide 6, can't wait to try it out. So a big Thanks you for all your contributions :wub:

TSE theres gold in dem dar hills...

Thank you sir.

I've got those camps (albeit a few years older than edition 6) as GPS waypoints too If you (or anyone else) could use such, drop me a pm with an e-mail addy.

I usually camp in remote spots so don't use them as they're intended, but find them great to find a spot to sleep for a few hours/stop for lunch/ do a repair etc on an extended drive.

ed

Cheers Ed, I might start another thread about camping soon, hope to see ya there :)

To me the obvious cause of this 'pineappling'- love the term, would be hormonal, would be nice if somehow we could reverse engineer this process & turn pups into flowers...