The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
PositiveHAL

Wanna look inside a Loph?

had to cut up a big section of my old loph today, too many segments are succumbing to some kinda foul smelling rot.

anyone experienced with this?

post-11070-0-54807900-1332666719_thumb.jpost-11070-0-24134600-1332666795_thumb.jpost-11070-0-06077900-1332666749_thumb.jpost-11070-0-21787200-1332666769_thumb.j

post-11070-0-54807900-1332666719_thumb.jpg

post-11070-0-06077900-1332666749_thumb.jpg

post-11070-0-21787200-1332666769_thumb.jpg

post-11070-0-24134600-1332666795_thumb.jpg

post-11070-0-54807900-1332666719_thumb.jpg

post-11070-0-06077900-1332666749_thumb.jpg

post-11070-0-21787200-1332666769_thumb.jpg

post-11070-0-24134600-1332666795_thumb.jpg

heartbreaking. i gather you need a systemic fungicide for that ish?

x

Edited by Psylo

I would use Sulfur on the whole plant. And not just once but regularly till you have it under control. If that doesnt work you should think about getting yourself some syringes, the systematic fungicide Saprol aka Triticonazol asap and inject some of the saprol/Sulfur directly INTO any infections that may occure. And in a higher dose than you would use for external use. This is the kind of stuff that starts again after you cut away an infected piece. Take it seriously or you might lose the plant. Just lost a cutting of The mammillaria Cultivar fred over winter to something similar. Cut away the infection, looked healed for a week and came back and killed everything including the grafting stock. This is some serious shit because an infection of this size works like a blood poisoning for the plant.

Edited by Evil Genius

No Psilo, its fungal in nature

yeah thanks qualia and EG, serious chemical intervention is in order, although im scared to apply any more moisture...

its not all bad though, everything comes to an end. ive managed to get a couple of grafts off it, and the rest is cut up and dryinging out...

i definatly agree EG, i like the idea of syringing direct, have you had success this way?

Yes. But heres the thing: Ever had a surgeon mentioning to you its a very experimential method that may also kill or turn you into a vegetable and was only like tried once before? Thats exactly it. Tried it once and it worked. Dosage was like 10 times the amount that they proposed for external usage. Injected directly into the infection on a daily basis. Treatment could have easily killed the plant but in this case, it did not. It all depends on how much you have to lose. Dont do this with a plant that isnt on the edge between life and death. But personally, i think theres a good likelyhood it works because by doing this, you reach a lot higher concentration of fungicide in the actual source of infection.

Edited by Evil Genius

Too much watering eh?

Very sad to see this.

Yes indeed. Did you actually have high concentrations of humous in the soil?

You know what Dave, just been looking at the pic of your Loph again and the general health of this one is so bad that i think that only a very fast treatment can save it. It looks like its already changing the color and thats generally a sign of systematic infection.

Didnt we speak about this particular Loph like one or two months before? I think i remember it. It looks like it could also have some spidermite problems that could have caused all this in the first place. Did you check for them? Because it wouldnt help to treat the secondary fungal infections without getting rid of the underlying cause. If the Loph should suffer from mites as well, you´ll have to do big time treatment. Like pure Ethanol against the mites and some systematic fungicide against the fungal infection. Will be quite a struggle to get it through. Hard but not impossible.

Edited by Evil Genius

no, it was grown outdoors in very hard conditions by caretakers while i was travelling around for several years, not sure really what lead to it, but too much sun and water was a given. it looked fine about a year ago

it is severely infected with some kind of fungus or bacteria though it seems.

ill do a full write up on it when i get the time, its deserving of it

thanks EG, yeah this is the one that i posted about when i first joined, ive pretty much decided to chop all of the bits up, its coming into winter here which is also a wet time of year and i think this old boy has reached its fate, everything comes to an end

You could still use it to try injecting some systematic fungicide. Fungal infections usually flood the plant with toxins. Even if you dont see them, they are there. I dont see why you shouldnt at least try it.

You know, the main head look still pretty good. You´d have to remove most of the pups asap and powder it with pure sulfur powder and use a systematic fungicide as well but i think, the mail head might really have decent chances for survival. But only if you act now. Like today.

Edited by Evil Genius

graft union gone bad, or what usually happens when the scion overgrows the root stock. Naturally the problem isn't discovered until the rot has totally consumed the scion & starts poking out through one side.

Still waiting to see if I saved a tiny portion of the crest.

fubardsc0115.jpg

fubardsc0116.jpg

fubardsc0114.jpg

That must be a horrible experience cutting into such a cool plant and finding it full of rot :(

I hope you can save the crest.

Cheers

Got

bummer, happens with clumps unfortunately. i dont think you need syringes, i have had damn near 100% success with sulfur powder mixed with water adn sprayed on uprooted (and cleaned) plant and left in shade for a bit wil healed. hope for a speedy re-rooting :)

Looks kinda like a fig.