The Corroboree
gnome82

comfrey rootstock available

hi all =)

have to dig up my patch of comfrey soon due to a move, so will have plenty of rootsock available for propagation

if anybody is interested

sidenote: comfrey is an important plant in permaculture, the leaves making good nutrient rich fertilizer

this plant may also have medicinal value

post-11208-0-27296900-1332423876_thumb.j

post-11208-0-78984000-1332423928_thumb.j

post-11208-0-27296900-1332423876_thumb.jpg

post-11208-0-78984000-1332423928_thumb.jpg

post-11208-0-27296900-1332423876_thumb.jpg

post-11208-0-78984000-1332423928_thumb.jpg

intrested, wouldnt spend and arm and a leg for it though.

I see that your in NSW, does it like hot summers?

x

Edited by Psylo

Is it active?

[i'm joking! Don't yell at me!]

• Like 1

Actually I was told only yesterday that comfrey has been illegal for about 20yrs (QLD anyway, so the nurseryman told me)....I was told this is the reason why you can't find it for sale in nurseries. It's not a law that is heavily enforced, but, it's a nice "ace up the sleeve" for the blue boys.

It can only be because of "good ol' pharma".

Another ridiculous law made by our ridiculous excuse for a government (western form of democracy = jokeocracy).

Sorry did'nt see your post ^ must have posted while I was replying, yeah I would love to know the ins & outs of this stupid ban on pyrrolizidine alkaloids too?

"Is it active?"

Thats a fair question, its banned, same blanket ban as coltsfoot because of pyrrolizidine alkaloids. I think this only aplies to ingestion of the herb or sale of herb for ingestion.

Has been used medicinaly to treat a heap of different conditions so it has some medical activity.

Nice plants Gnome, have you ever used it medicinaly?

Edited by shruman

x

Edited by Psylo

I'm only going by what I was told by a nurseryman, the nursery sells a lot of Brugmansia's...he informs me its to do with alkaloid content & is more to do with consumption of a preparation. I'm not sure on the workings, I mean I still have trouble understanding why all lophs are schedule 2 in QLD but San pedro's aren't. But from what I've read you can still be prosecuted for having any mescaline containing plant in your possession ...it all leaves me a bit confused.

As a plant preparation that has only really been accepted as for topical use only, I'm also unaware of any major interest from "Good ol' pharma" corporations.

I was thinking more from the perspective that anything that has any medicinal benefits threatens the monopolisation of the market place by pharma.

Just a bit of conspiracy theorising...lol.

Conspiracy theory?! Here, on this forum?! Now that's a first!

• Like 2

I brought my comfrey from Bunnings in QLD, which was from Renaissance herbs, so i truly doubt its scheduled.

I brought my comfrey from Bunnings in QLD, which was from Renaissance herbs, so i truly doubt its scheduled.

That being the case I have been wrongly informed...apologies to all.

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread "gnome82".

wow more response than i anticipated... ok i start from top

i forgot to mention maybe an apology to WA and TAS, correct me if i am wrong,

but its my understanding i cannot send plant material to these states?

comfrey doesn't like the heat but it is hardy as and bounces back, i think it prefers semi shade, and lotsa water, but is very hardy and can survive without

FYI, are you aware that you appear to have another ethno specimen, a lactuca sp. also growing in your yard ? It's in pic 2. Just thought I would mention it in case you thought it was a weed (well, it is a weed in NSW, really)

no i wasn't aware? it must be growing naturally if its still there just googled, can't believe its a lettuce? i thought it was thistle?

Nice plants Gnome, have you ever used it medicinally?

thanks shruman, not i haven't used it medicinally, as there is debate around its safety for ingestion, although historically has been used as a tea substitute? am not sure how it works but my understanding it can be rubbed on to external areas, and possibly good for broken bones

am more interested in the plants role as a soil rejuvenator and fertiliser properties

will pm interested peoples to work something out with the postage

peace

x

Edited by Psylo
  • Like 1

x

Edited by Psylo

More likely listed as a weed? loves the temperate climate.

I use a large bed for supplementary feeding some goats and rabbits, and for priming the compost bins. Makes a great stinky plant tonic.

Keep the roots contained with a deep barrier or it will run all over the place, and some varieties have sterile seed whilst

the older varieties can throw seed about the place.

Re consumption, I will note the alkaloids and consumption sticks because of one "study", this plant keep many russian peasants

alive as the dominant foodsource with no documented cases of effects. Still may have adverse effects , drinking lots of home brew vodka probably offsets the effects :o

I can confirm this as well. Picked up some from my local garden centre from the same comp as well.

x

Edited by Psylo

I got mine from Bunning in Brisbane too, but my leaves grow about 2 feet long. I actually pulled it out of the garden and keep it in post because it smotrhers other things too much, might be another species/ cultivar I guess.