The Corroboree
myco

Importing Seeds - Which ones are permitted?

I send Lophophora williamsii  seeds to folks in Oz - just label them an Echinopsis species.  

1 hour ago, Spanishfly said:

I send Lophophora williamsii  seeds to folks in Oz - just label them an Echinopsis species.  

nothing like self incrimination eh?

I'm sure the fine gentlemen in the Biosecurity department reading this forum will be tickled pink with your comments....

Self incrimination?  L. williamsii are perfectly legal here and in most countries.

Im planning a trip to Peru next year. If i understand correctly this list of tricho/echinopsis are allowed to be imported without a permit. Does this mean i can collect seed from wild plants while im there and provided theyre cleaned free from pulp labeled and etc, i can post them home without hassle? Would i be able to take them on the plane in my carryon?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Slurmz said:

Im planning a trip to Peru next year. If i understand correctly this list of tricho/echinopsis are allowed to be imported without a permit. Does this mean i can collect seed from wild plants while im there and provided theyre cleaned free from pulp labeled and etc, i can post them home without hassle? Would i be able to take them on the plane in my carryon?

Thanks in advance.

You wouldn't be allowed to do that at all, but cacti seeds are so small that you would probably get away with it if you carried a few in your pockets etc. Totally illegal of course...

6 hours ago, Halcyon Daze said:

You wouldn't be allowed to do that at all, but cacti seeds are so small that you would probably get away with it if you carried a few in your pockets etc. Totally illegal of course...

Why wouldn't i be able to mate? How is it different to buying seeds from a supplier in Peru? Because they're a business?

They simply don't let you bring seeds through customs. I don't know why.

If it's in a commercial packet with the botanical name printed on the packet they may let you, but if you do that you better declare them.

I took many vegetable seeds to PNG in labelled commercial packets.

And weeds, pests and pathogens..... 

Be better off posting than carrying on...... 

Business prepared seed and packaging gets less scrutiny, that is with botanical naming and contact details of the supplier. 

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/import/goods/plant-products/seeds-for-sowing

As of  9 April 2018, the department will no longer facilitate the clearance of conditionally non-prohibited goods that arrive without the required import permit. Therefore seeds that require a permit, but arrive without one, including where an application is currently under consideration, will be directed for export from Australian territory or required to be destroyed in an approved manner.

It's also more than one agency you may need to deal with..... Customs are primarily concerned with money.. 

Also important to note that for some reason biosecurity seems to have a need to update the allowable import listing...In some cases of echinopsis for instance what was legal last year isn't legal this year.  The listing changed on July 25, 2018.

I messaged a seller Astroph_82 off eBay to be discrete with packaging after I made a purchase 9th July. Yesterday from the Ukraine 25 Lutea Lophophora  seeds made it labeled as home decorations. It was a gamble seeing as the they weren’t cheap.