The Corroboree
qualia

'Heart attack' burger puts US man in hospital

you daily entertainment news :o

A man fell ill and was hospitalized after ordering a Triple Bypass burger at the Heart Attack Grill, a Las Vegas restaurant that jokingly warns customers "this establishment is bad for your health."

Laughing tourists were either cynical or confused about whether the man was really suffering a medical episode amid the "doctor," ''nurses" and health warnings at the Heart Attack Grill, restaurant owner Jon Basso said Wednesday.

"It was no joke," said Basso, who promotes himself "Doctor Jon," his scantily clad waitresses as nurses and customers as patients.

Basso said he could tell right away the man in his 40s eating a Triple Bypass burger was having trouble. He was sweating, shaking and could barely talk.

Paramedics were called Saturday night, fire spokesman Tim Szymanski said, and the man was hospitalized. His name and information about his condition weren't made public.

Giggles can be heard on the soundtrack of amateur video showing the man on a stretcher being wheeled out of the restaurant where patrons pass an antique ambulance at the door and a sign: "Caution! This establishment is bad for your health."

Eaters are given surgical gowns as they choose from a calorically extravagant menu offering "Bypass" burgers, "Flatliner" fries, buttermilk shakes and free meals to folks over 350 pounds. Another sign on the door reads, "Cash only because you might die before the check clears."

Basso said he hopes the man is OK, and added that he felt bad for him because tourists treated his misfortune like a joke.

"We would never pull a stunt like that," he said.

- AP

i saw a video of these burgers being made, they dip the fucking bun in pig fat? uff, how could anyone stomach that?

You'd have to be stupid to eat that lol

Guess there's no way he can sue with all those warnings, he'll probs still try though.

"that's ok, i'm on cholesterol medication anyway"

what the fuck is wrong with people.....

oh my fucking god, that is insane, only in america...

the "dr" was such a creep, i wonder how many dead bodies he has at home, or maybe he just makes the nurses do "favours" for him as part of their employment.

time for my heparin...

mmmm a triple bypass burger sounds pretty good right about now :drool2:

hahaha

i'll take some flatline fries with that to please :)

• Like 2

At least there's an honesty to it that you don't get with most fast food. Besides, I think saturated fat is not meant to be as bad as was once thought. The lard they use is probably healthier than the hydrogenated vegetable oils used by most fast food chains.

• Like 1

For some reason I can't stop watching that video. And it's not the nurses.

sounds like a burger place you could visit if you are training michael phelps style for 6 hrs of high intensity. pig fat fuelin yr workout!!

i used to work at a fried food store that used pig fat derived cooking oil and there is a real difference between using that and canola oil or similar. canola oil evaporates before it gets hot enough to actualy cook foods like potato, so the potato will absorb the oil rather then being scalded by it. pig fat evaporates at a much higher temperature, so the food absorbs less and the final thing you put in your mouth wont be as oily as the other. as a non vegetarian anyway, i would prefer to consume a small amount of really bad oils as opposed to a larger amount of oils that are still pretty bad

i used to work at a fried food store that used pig fat derived cooking oil and there is a real difference between using that and canola oil or similar. canola oil evaporates before it gets hot enough to actualy cook foods like potato, so the potato will absorb the oil rather then being scalded by it. pig fat evaporates at a much higher temperature, so the food absorbs less and the final thing you put in your mouth wont be as oily as the other. as a non vegetarian anyway, i would prefer to consume a small amount of really bad oils as opposed to a larger amount of oils that are still pretty bad

That's a good point too. In my experience though, most places don't use oils for frying precisely because of this evaporation problem. Every litre that evaporates has to be paid for. Even if they did, the constant reheating of the oil converts it to a saturated fat anyway, so even more so your point about the absorption of fat probably means that the solid saturated fat is probably much better than using something like canola oil. But as I said before, they don't tend to use pig fat either IME. I don't know exactly why, but I would guess it would be mostly the long term stability. The hydrogenated vegetable fats commonly used are notoriously bad.

fact is, the dude prob eats foods like that all the time. I'm pretty sure the body doesn't absorb fat THAT quickly, does it? surely a the average healthy person who generally eats well but gave this puppy a crack every few months would be fine ya?

Wow. It'd be nice to think they could donate some percentage of that money for starving people somewhere in the world, or even just the US. I do like the bare assed honesty.

How would ghee or peanut oil compare to lard or vegetable oils? I know sweet FA about nutrition.

It reminds me of this sculpture on consumerism:

http://thepirata.com/red-fat-porsche/