The Corroboree
Psylo

Watch Me Grow

For general interest sake, I would like to grow roots from some various cuttings (maybe some seeds too) in a tranparent medium and a glass jar, to observe the cycle otherwise hidden in a pot with soil. Are there any transparent growing mediums that might take the place of soil?

Is this what's known as 'in vitro' planting ?

If so, any personal experiences to share ?

What are the pro's & con's?

Yes, it seems that agar is the go for this type of thing. I have a hundred grams here so i might find some small plastic containers from somewhere and do some experiments. This seems OK only for cuttings or tussue samples, but not seed. Is that right ?

I havent done a lot of work with agar agar, but i was just asking someone the other day if i could take some cactus tissue and put it agar agar and grow a cacti. The answer was...possibly, but make sure i work with a part with an areole on it. I look forward to seeing what you are up to.

There is always those water crystal things you could use too, but i have had seed rot in that as a medium, but it was probably just too wet.

• Like 1

hey mate, all i can think of would be a deep water culture grow.. The growing conditions of the roots would be in the dark but you can easily access the roots and check their process. I believe roots need darkness to survive and keep going? Could be different with different plants tho...

Oh yea, that gives me something to read. Seems a lot of "growers" use it too, so plenty of non-scientific information out there maybe !

FYI, Im not part of that scene, and that isnt my motivation. I was thinking more about watching the cycle of random succulent petals from the neigbourhood start to shoot.

If you want to observe "normal" root growth then you would need the roots to be kept in the dark, and only uncovered when you want to have a peek. Light generally inhibits root elongation.

Cutting in a jar with water would be best. You can keep in nutrient free while the first roots pop out, then grow in a very dilute fert solution. The advantage of this is that you can change the solution once a day to maintain oxygen. And custom mix the fert etc to observe the effect of various nutrient levels on growth (phosphorus in particular). Agar would quickly become devoid of nutrient.

Personally I would just go get a 1st year biology textbook and read about root growth. And replicate the experiments within, if you want to get hands-on. You then have a proper explanation of what you are observing.

Edited by Alice

Seed can be started on agar, but generally it is in a formulated growing media containing additional nutrients and phytochemicals to get it to do "what you want it to do".

You can work with any cell on agar if you tweak it with hormones (some better starts than others), to whatever endpoint. Search somatic embryogenesis to get an idea how freaky it can get. Without nutrient and hormones I wouldn't attempt to clone off cacti on straight agar.

Yep, I have done a few tours of duty in TC labs and have seen some freaky shit....

Will note any growing media has an affect on the root morphology, including agar as a dense media. Liquid culture/ aeroponics also has an influence on root morphology, as the roots do not need to exert pressure on the media to grow and can have a greater influence by gravity.

The container would need a removable sleeve, to shield from unwanted affects of light but allow for observation

A hybrid of small glass beads (?) and hydroponic solution, housed in a glass/plastic container may cut it for experimentation as an idea (?)

Cheers

WB

1st year plant biology books sound like a great idea, there's a massive old bookshop I go to thats sure to have some publications buried somewhere (Goulds in Newtown)

So to approach this more in a hydroponic manner.... Alice you mentioned oxygenation. Im soon buying a stainless steel airstone/diffuser and an inline air filter, maybe I could run oxygen into a vessel constantly, save changing out the water.

Good comment about darkness.

...massive old bookshop I go to thats sure to have some publications buried somewhere (Goulds in Newtown)...

Watch those steps or you'll end up like poor old Bob Gould...

• Like 1

Old Bob was a trooper ! I used to regularly argue constructively debate with the hoary old bugger when I lived in the area. It was at one time the highlight of my Saturday mornings. RIP Bob Gould.

Its only a matter of time before they sell the land and demolish the premises.Such a shame it will be :(

http://www.greenleft.org.au/node/47685

Edited by Psylo Dread

Airated water n nutrient solution works for basic hydroponics,with ever flowing stream of water,most root systems require some kinda darkness for health growth..

Maybe plant gel will be the solution?

http://www.plantgel.com/

Clear gel growing medium, just need to worry about the light.

Is there a certain spectrum of light that doesn't munt the roots?

Maybe plant gel will be the solution?

http://www.plantgel.com/

Clear gel growing medium, just need to worry about the light.

Is there a certain spectrum of light that doesn't munt the roots?

Heck, that was a website that I don't wish to research. Pre-1999 web-design, an American flag .gif flapping in the breeze, and the first thing I see is "God Bless Our Troops"

Lol I know what you're saying mate, I felt pretty dirty posting that link.

But something along those lines would work well you think?

Edited by Jonstn

What about those water absorbing crystalls you add to potting mix. Hydrate with very weak nute solution, drain excess fluid then plant. This way you have air pockets between crystals and it doesn't go all rank. Similar to the agar agar I guess but not just a slug of jelly.

+1 on the light issue aswell. Cut the toe out of a sock and put it over to cut the light... easy to remove/replace. Did this with my sons bean sprouting experiment for school.

airponics/aeroponics would be ideal for this imo i've been using it on and off for years real easy to set up

http://www.aeroponics.com/aero6.html

on the menu on the left of page select "technical information" then select "how it works"

basically use a large container with some form of sprinkler/mister inside, i've seen miniature fruit trees grown in old milk urns with the barest of set up.

Aero is awesome but you wouldn't really be able to see what their natural growing patterns in soil are as the roots will be just dangling there, I think psylo wants to observe what they do when they're in the ground.

Theres some beads on eBay, $10 for ten boxes.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CLEAR-10-BAGS-CRYSTAL-SOIL-WATER-FLORA-GEL-BALLS-BEADS-/120845028370?pt=AU_WeddingSupplies&hash=item1c22eccc12#ht_3824wt_689

Edited by Jonstn

Ive seen this method in my school nursery. Take a cutting (maybe you can try this on seeds), stick it in soil, water it then cover it with glass or something, kinda like a moisture dome. Maybe try rooting hormones?