The Corroboree
Evil Genius

Producing Seeds with Self-Sterile Cacti - How to do it

ok so success and failure to date............so I crossed cleistocactus-strausii with a hybrid red epi..........and visa versa ........both successfully set seed....................so far seed from cleistocactus-strausii x has germinated........(it may have self pollinated...testing that at present with an actual self pollination without cement)

a week or so away from knowing if epi x is viable.

I self pollinated cleistocactus-strausii and seed has germinated......................note I brought this 1.5m high multi stick cleist online auction. .......it flowered/budded in my conservatory (hotter than outside)........last week I brought the 2 remaining plants of similar size from the same guy (clones I suspect)......these 2 multi plants had and were still flowering, not 1 flower had fertilised............dozen's of duds lay on the ground and still falling from the stems.

So at the very least the cement method seems to have enabled the cleist. to self pollinate and produce viable seed....(spare seed if you want any)

Failures unable to self pollinate cereus. Failed to x opuntia and Cereus peruvianus type with cliest.(not sure if opuntia set fruit). Failed to x cleist. and mammalia...both ways.............I think it was a Echinocereus x cleist and a notocactus x cleist bothways failed...........I think I failed to self pollinated the epi, its fruit dropped very early..............so a lot did not work.

Edited by Dreamwalker

ok so I successfully self pollinated cleistocactus-strausii without cement....................so I may have had 0 success..................possibly only self pollinating the epi and cleistocactus-strausii...................

Just an update from the 3 fruit that were pollinated 2 fell off and the last one produced very few seeds and was dry inside....................some of the seeds germinated.............so cement seems to have aided fertility..........

Edited by Dreamwalker

Hey dream walker. I'm wondering if it's only the hydrated lime that you need?

NOTE: Building lime is hydrated lime and different from 'soft' garden lime.

It might be worth a try..

Edited by JT_NZ

Hey dream walker. I'm wondering if it's only the hydrated lime that you need?

NOTE: Building lime is hydrated lime and different from 'soft' garden lime.

It might be worth a try..

yeah I suspect it may have something to do with adjusting the pH....so maybe bicarbonate of soda...or baking powder even?

Personally if your really serious on distant hybridising "New improved method/theory to creating a new species...Trichloph.. "

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38938

is the way to go..........

• Like 2

i tried this with garden lime, Fail on spineless scop, but Fields Pachanoi is looking very promising, the stigma closed up nicely after pollenating and the fruit behind the flower looks as though it is getting a good grip. just a wee bit too early to tell for sure.

Last night i tried misting a sodium bicarbonate solution with PH 9 on these 2 flowers below

cactusnightflower.png

In the morning the stigma looked all closed up, im not sure if thats a good sign or if it means i burnt it with to high of a PH, i guess time will tell

cactusflower%20morning.png

• Like 2

I can tell you garden lime definently burns them lol, everything went white and disintagrated, do not recommend.

• Like 1

Last night i tried misting a sodium bicarbonate solution with PH 9 on these 2 flowers below

cactusnightflower.png

In the morning the stigma looked all closed up, im not sure if thats a good sign or if it means i burnt it with to high of a PH, i guess time will tell

cactusflower%20morning.png

Did this end up doing anything change?

• Like 2

no fruit this year

looking back in hindsight i dont think misting a solution was the best plan

Everyone seems to be using lime dust not lime in solution

Downloaded a nice paper on producing seeds in self-sterile cacti titled 

'Physiology and genetics of self-incompatibility in Echinopsis chamaecereus'

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/225571921_Physiology_and_genetics_of_self-incompatibility_in_Echinopsis_chamaecereusCactaceae

It gives a couple of other techniques for inducing fertilization in self-sterile Echinopsis using  either 'Heat treatment' or 'Mentor Pollen' to trick the flower into accepting it's own pollen.

However seed development is still quite low and the offspring often show signs of inbreeding-depression and or sterility issues, with many albinos produced.

You may have to pollinate quite a few flowers to get only a few good seed.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1