The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

7baz

lost half my bonsai tree collection

god damn it.. thanks to Melbourne's retarded weather of going from too cold to too hot.. i lost half my bonsai tree collection.

even my capsicum plants are struggling to survive.

this is just fucked up.

over the last 12 months i have also noticed im getting lots and lots of dead branches for no reason , just totally fucking up over $100,000.00 worth of beautiful trees... god help me why.....

anyone else experiencing something similar ?

hundred thousand worth of plants ?

thats got to hurt 7baz ! why dont you grab a spare bedroom and invest in some quality lighting and climate control ? would only cost a few grand to set-up ?

Feel for ya bro !

I have seen your collection and it is amazing. that really must suck.

Man, i feel really bad when i loose 1 tree that i liked more then "average"

that must suck real hard, i'm guessing you are in the nursery business?

or you live in a everyday fairy tale of bonsai? < (jealous)

nah not a business , purely a hobby.

tipz.. you cant really keep a tree indoors , your thinking plants lol

a bonsai tree would barely survive for a week indoors lol

dude sorry to here this I know how much you loved your bonsai's

sorry about your plants :(

nah not a business , purely a hobby.

tipz.. you cant really keep a tree indoors , your thinking plants lol

a bonsai tree would barely survive for a week indoors lol

why?

aren't the lights good enough?

very sorry to hear this mate, i gave bonsai away because of this type of heartache, perhaps you've got small outbreaks of infections due to the wacky weather conditions but just as the more succepatible varieties are succumbing the weather is stopping it from spreading. i'm guessing you've cleaned down all your shelves, dislay areas etc. with fungicide.

You almost need to enclose your whole backyard so as to have more control, i had betwen 60 and 100 at my peak but only a a handful were in pots bigger than 6inch and I had trouble housing mine, your trees are larger so it would be very costly to house effectively.

i'm having a lot of trouble with my crested cacti this year beacause of all the summer rain, down 5 so far.

best of luck.

Hi 7baz, very sorry to hear. Why is this in the bitches forum? I think its a valuable topic that would others could have learned something from too. Not sure what to say because losing plants is always terrible. I was Experimenting with Bonsai growing as well and it was a frustrating feeling to lose a very old tree over a force of nature. And sometimes even because i did something wrong. Can you explain a little bit further about the causes for the bonsais to die? Its terrible but maybe your post shows people about problems that may be encountered when growing bonsais and how they can avoid them. bye Eg

oh, mon, i feel for you, this is a massive loss, i hope you stay strong. 100.000aud is a lot of money, and i guess this means that you are a bonsai expert and enthusiast to the highest degree.... this hopefully means you will manage to recover most of your plants, i hope aswell, that you don't fall into a deep depression, like i did, when i came home to my place and found out, that, all my cacti had been destroyed and just weeks later cyclon yasi and the rain, killed of 2/3 of the rest of my plants in the garden. i hope for you it's just the weather, and not an expartner who, manages to kill your plants of slowly.

things dont quite seam to be as bad as i thought.

im seeing a lil growth re appearing on a few , i have definatly lost a 40 year old black pine , the needles are turning a faint green.

have def lost my 12 year old tiny lilly pilly.

my 5 most oldest ones are fine.. i think thats the main thing.

i had to trim back hard my capsicum plants.. i also had to cut the tops off my san pedros and going to repot once they have dried out.

as a general rule.. not too sure if your tree is alive or dead ? just snap a tiny branch and look into the inner part.. it should be green.. if not.. try a totally different branch.. not green ? all the branches look shrivelled up ? its dead.

however i never ever toss away or give up just yet.. wait to next season.. you could be in for a surprise.....

if a tree looks like its dying.. no branches.. branches look shrivelled up.. get it into a humidity done... wrap it into plastic or get it into a hot house fast.

Hi 7baz, very sorry to hear. Why is this in the bitches forum? I think its a valuable topic that would others could have learned something from too. Not sure what to say because losing plants is always terrible. I was Experimenting with Bonsai growing as well and it was a frustrating feeling to lose a very old tree over a force of nature. And sometimes even because i did something wrong. Can you explain a little bit further about the causes for the bonsais to die? Its terrible but maybe your post shows people about problems that may be encountered when growing bonsais and how they can avoid them. bye Eg

its to due with stress from such rapid temperature changes , hence melbournes weather has just been stupid lately.

one day it 41 degrees , 24 hours later freezing cold windy and pouring down buckets , then 24 hours later souring like 43 degrees again , then just 2 days ago winds so strong 4 of my trees where literally forced out of there pots and found nearly a meter away.

really typical of melbourne to do this.. acts that seam so foreign to nature.