The Corroboree
Marcel

Scythes and lawn mower alternatives

My fucking push mower died yesterday.

It worked great on most grass, but it got to the stage where it would barely cut couch. The couch isn't attached to the ground at each individual blade like other grass it has runners that are really just sitting on top of the dirt and they don't cut easily unless the blades are in very good condition. The wheels are made of a hard plastic that won't get traction on couch so the fucking thing was just gliding over the top and not turning the blade. I ended up having to push the fucking thing into the ground with all my weight so it would get enough traction to turn the blade and it broke into a stack of mangled steel and plastic. :BANGHEAD2: Then I threw the fucking thing and fucked it right up so now I'm looking into other options.

If I had access to a T&C grinder I'd sharpen the blades and put it back together, but it would cost more than the mower is worth to get someone else to sharpen the blades.

I'm considering a scythe now. There's a lot less parts to fuck up.

Do you need to let the grass go feral and get to a good length so a scythe will cut it or will it trim a small amount off the top every 2 weeks or so ?

After all my research, and the replies from the guys here, I've decided I won't be going the way of the scythe. My lawn just isn't big enough, and there are trees and shit dotted all over it, so unfortunately, I won't have a reputation as the bad-ass weirdo who dresses up as the grim reaper every two weeks and scares the neighbours' kids.

I am, however, thinking of replacing my lawn with native grasses such as Microlaena stipoides, or something like that. Those guys never get longer than 3cm and need no water.

Sorry to hear about your machine, Sally.

If one was so inclined to "man the fuck up" one could buy a Stihl. The bomb no treaking about, reliable. A scythe is rather intense, but then I've been seriously thinking of obtaining an Indian gunstock war club Recently. Purely for defensive purposes. If I go out I'm waving one of those mofos. Will be my defense against the alien mantid warlords come 2012 , ima take On their divine power last of the Mohican style. I was going to suggest guinea pigs in a hutch thingy u can move around the lAwn. Possibly not that sanitary: kids need a spot to be kids. Lawns are great for that. Maybee the rotar mower is the go. If ur looking at a Stihl( they r the bomb) get a price and lemme know. Could get u far cheaper here. Sweet chainsaws, whippers, blowers etc

1. Cos ur a sexy individuAl who has truly conquered the gag reflex/

And 2. Well it's the gag reflex really.

3.i was talking about marcel but may be able to assist with a quality European mower.

Edited by incognito