The Corroboree
Marcel

Scythes and lawn mower alternatives

Hello all.

I have a not too big/not too small lawn area in my garden. I'd get rid of it entirely were it not for my sons, who love to play on the flat, soft surface of grass.

I hate mowing my lawn, in part because my whipper snipper and lawn mower are constantly stopping, breaking and needing little tweaks here and there. Also, I can't stand the fumes and smoke that those things generate. Finally, it's quite simply an unpleasant chore because of the vibration and noise and petrol smell, and I put it off until we have a veritable jungle around our house and veggie beds...

So, I've been looking into alternatives. I hear a lot about scythes and the meditative process that scything can be. I don't mind a bit of a work out, either. They're not cheap, but if they're effective, then it'd be worth it. This website has a kit for $375.

I'm also curious about cylinder/reel mowers. Apparently they provide the best cut, but I imagine that they require quite a bit of care to keep them sharp and smooth.

Anyone have any experience with either of these, or any other lawn-mower alternatives? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

hmmm, i dunno Marcel, but you could give your kids a set of scissors each and tell them to earn their keep :P . I use to get my kids to trim around the trees with scissors so the tree trunks didn't get ring barked by the whipper snipper.... but when the kids got blisters on their fingers, they demanded more money for the chore.

• Like 1

My late grandfather had some awesome lawn mowers which I used to use. One was a centrifugul clutch machine, so you depressed a lever on the handle to propel it instead of having to push. You had to get used to it, ir it would run away, dragging you behind it.

The other was one of those old timer manual push mowers. It was great to relax in the sun and daydream while doing chores at the same time. I do think they work best on a very flat surface though - his lawns were like a bowling green - so if you have gradiations in your plot, you might want to ask a mower shop if this style of device is appropriate for your requirements.

BUt I also agree with Amz, get the kids out with some scissors. Off to bed hungry if they dont do their chores. :wink:

Cylinder mowers do indeed give a better cut to the grass. There's a bit of technique to get it right. I find the faster it's moving, the better the cut. Generally what I do is to walk slowly but push it out in front of me in sharp bursts every couple of feet. Unfortunately, they don't tend to handle dandelions very well. I don't have a consistent routine of mowing every second Saturday or anything, so by the time I get to it, the dandelions are often too long to be taken care of properly.

They tend to last well. I've used ones that are close to a decade old and never been sharpened and were still cutting grass okay, though they can get stiff to push if they're not oiled.

I personally prefer the petrol mower, though the cut isn't as good. It's just personal taste I guess. I like the sound, the vibrations, the monotonous meditative walk, the smell of petrol. I think my mower uses about as much petrol in a year as my girlfriend's car does in a week, so I don't really consider it an environmental issue. Though I would never get rid of the cylinder mower because it's great to level out patches if the I miss a spot with the mower or something.

You don't need a different machine, from what I'm reading (between the lines) in your post the problem isn't the machine but rather your hatred of the task. A new machine will simply distract you from the task for a short period before the hatred and dread returns even worse. The only way to make a task more pleasant is to change your habits and thought pattern. Instead of constantly thinking how much you hate mowing the lawn try and find a positive, just one, for example you may like the smell of the cut grass or the feeling it brings once complete or being with nature or having the kids play on the freshly cut surface. Once you find a positive concentrate your effort and thoughts on this every time the task enters your mind, eventually a new habit will be formed and mowing will not be such a choir.

This kind of thinking has helped me in the past, even if you think it is hocus pocus it is still worth a try.

Edited by Hellonasty
  • Like 2

I'm all for hocus-pocus, Hellonasty! My life seems to swim from obeying synchronicities to Wiccan magick intentional spells to mindfulness, etc. :P I really appreciate your post! You're absolutely right that a change in attitude can change one's relationship with a task; in fact, this is more-or-less why I have been mowing with an engine mower for my whole life. When an unfortunate circumstance can't be changed, one should try to embrace it in new and fresh ways, right? However, in this case, I think this is something that can be changed. There's no reason I have to use a machine which I don't like. There are plenty of cases all over the internet of people getting a scythe and suddenly loving the task of mowing. Sitting there on there verandahs all week waiting for the stuff to grow faster so that they can scythe again! It's exactly the sort of task I love too. Direct, slow, physical and repetitive (I still write on a typewriter, print photos in a darkroom and sweep rather than vacuum, etc).

Well if I'm so decided, why don't I just go and get a fucken scythe already? I've thrown the question out there to this community because I more-or-less know many of you in some way and value your thoughts. You're also a pretty kooky bunch and I figured there's a good chance that one of you use a scythe and have some thoughts and recommendations on the matter.

I've got a cylinder mower and it works OK. It won't cut some of the tougher seed bearing stalks on some grass so it does need to be done before the grass gets too long.

I oil mine before I use it and it doesn't need any other maintenance except for a very slight adjustment of the static blade which takes about 10 seconds and only needs to be done twice year max.

There are a few different types, some drive the cylinder by one wheel and some are driven by both wheels. The ones driven by one wheel are almost useless but the two wheel drive models work fine. The ones driven by one wheel stop cutting if the drive wheel looses traction where the two wheel drive models don't have that problem.

The locals laugh at me when I use it and sometimes the local kids stop and watch me, they stare in disbelief as it doesn't have a motor.

I almost got in a fight over it one time, some moron walked past and said "You think santa would have got you a petrol one for Christmas"

I replied "that's the whole point mate it doesn't need petrol"

He came storming over and said "you fucken callin me stupid"

I said "I never said any such thing, but if the shoe fits"

Then I said" think about this, the next time you're at the servo buying petrol for your mower, I'm spending that money on beer"

That seemed to appeal to his primitive logic system and he walked away happy.

• Like 3

wouldn't appeal to me unless i could switch between left and right handed, all of that one-way twisting doesn't look very good for one's spinal health.

but he seems to be going faster than a push mower or a typically-sized ride-on, and those would be struggling with grass of that length. at the same time though, rotary mowers don't just cut the grass down, they mulch it up too.

Wouldn't the mechanical dynamics of a scythe require your grass to be quite long in order to be effective, otherwise with short-ish grass the blade might simply roll over the leaves. I'm not sure how long you wish to leave it between trims.

But if you do go down this route,I fully expect you to buy a matching cloak.

grim_reaper_by_BaMbAm1985.jpg

You need to remember also that without a conventional mower with a catcher, there will be the chore of raking the cuttings up unless you want it being traipsed all into your house for weeks.

or... problem solved:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_turf

haha, how WRONG would that be for a plant-head to install this stuff in their own home.

Dude, just concrete the area and cover it with beach sand.

• Like 1

Psylo: Don't you worry; the mythological coolness of the scythe is not lost on me. And apparently it can be used on shortish grass, but it requires a slightly different technique and is best done in the early morning, when grass is upright and less likely to bend. Here are a couple of videos of a pretty hippie girl scything away at short grass.

SallyD: what exactly do you mean by "drive by two wheels"? Can you find a picture online; I'm not sure what that would look like.

• Like 1

wouldn't appeal to me unless i could switch between left and right handed, all of that one-way twisting doesn't look very good for one's spinal health.

Yeah a double bladed version might be better for the old back. Watching that clip, at first it looked like fun, but as the dude slashes away, you can see he is getting slower and worn out. I dont think that kind of tool would be good for short-ish grass though. Go the push mower Marcel.

EDIT: i hate it when i am slow to post and more posts are added before i tap post!!!

Edited by Amazonian

i meant having two scythes so that each time you go scything you could go in a different direction to last time, at nearly 400 dollars each though i'd have to think twice.

drive by two wheels = the rotation of both wheels, not just one, powers the otation of the cylinder

SallyD: what exactly do you mean by "drive by two wheels"? Can you find a picture online; I'm not sure what that would look like.

If you can turn either wheel with your hand and it doesn't spin the helical cutting blade the mower only has one drive wheel. On a mower driven by both wheels the cutter will turn when you turn either wheel. Just make sure to turn the wheels in both directions as they have a ratchet mechanism that only drives the cutter if it is turned in the correct direction.

The idea is if one wheel loses traction and skids the other wheel will keep turning the cutter, with the models driven by only one wheel if the drive wheel skids they stop cutting.

we use a push mower and honey.

this is honey

post-1277-0-32796400-1327559976_thumb.jp

and while being a big fan of bladed instruments :drool2: i think the scythe could be a little impractical for backyard use, one little over swing could ruin mature plants,pets or worst someone.

post-1277-0-32796400-1327559976_thumb.jpg

post-1277-0-32796400-1327559976_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moses
  • Like 1

I have about 6 square metres of turf and I use a push mower. No problems except I need to do the edges by hand and rake up the clippings after. Only had it for 2 years or so but never had to sharpen. I also have a petty mower but by the time I dig it out and start her up I would have been done if i used the pushie.

Have to do 2 runs if I let the grass grow too long.

Only about $60 bucks from bunnings if memory serves, maybe a little more.

Cheers for the comment and reply Marcel. Would love to know how you get on with the scythe, those videos are great.

You could always buy a peice of tool steel and make your own with an angle grinder or alternativel build a forge and heat and beat your own :) the metal work is the hardest part, the forge can be a hole in the ground :)

Whoa. Dworx, you're hardcore. :wub:

buy a goat! they're the best lawnmowers and unlike a victa if they break down you just eat em!

Seriously if you get a goat as a baby and teach it to tether, then you just move its tether around as it eats it down. The kids get a goat to play with too!

A sythe really is hard work and takes a bit or learning. I used to hand cut oats when i was a kid back home, i dont think i could do shortish grass though

Edited by El presidente Hillbillios
  • Like 2

buy a goat! they're the best lawnmowers and unlike a victa if they break down you just eat em!

cannibal !!! :P

• Like 2

We actually considered a goat at one stage. We're vego, but I could probably get my head around eating an animal if I raised it and slaughtered it myself. I love goats, too. Cute little cantankerous buggers! But I've been told by a local permaculture enthusiast that our council doesn't allow goats in the 'burbs.

Yeah, I'm starting to rethink the scythe idea. It's probably my secret "leave-the-city-and-become-a-farmer" fantasy that's pushing me to get a scythe and a straw hat and matching overalls... The push mower seems like a pretty great idea. I'll shop around over winter.

Thanks for the replies, people.

Yeah, I mow my lawn with a scythe.

The 'Austrian' scythes are much easier to use than the British ones.

...got both, but dont use the British ones much anymore

I have several blades, some with the edge set for coarser weeds and some with a fine edge for lawn.

I mostly use a 90cm blade I got from http://kosimesnadno.cz/ in Czech Rep.

and a few from http://www.scythesaustralia.com.au/

My son has been at me lately to mow the lawn with him,

he's 6yo and he uses one of my smaller snaths with a 60cm blade,

but I'm gonna have to make him a smaller one to suit his height better.

It is a bit of an investment, and takes a little practice to use ,

but as with most manual skills like that it's worth learning for the many benefits gained from it.

If well looked after and used, like a good razor, should last a lifetime or more.

Scythes Australia at Mudgee are running a weekend workshop in April (13-15th?) 2012.

it's worth getting some instruction on how to set up the scythe for your height and build,

How to maintain , peen and sharpen the blade, how to repair damage to the blade etc.

but not impossible to teach yourself from the info online or

from Peter Vido's addendum to David Tressemer's 'The Scythe Book'

the workshops also address other diverse (but not totally unrelated) topics.

Previous workshops have included biofertiliser preparation, greenwoodworking,

blacksmithing, haymaking, agricultural hand tools, fermented foods etc.

I went to the last one (Aug 2010) and I'll be going to this one and giving a bit of

a demo on blacksmithing and other general help with the weekend.

• Like 2