The Corroboree
niggles

-edit- snail chewed trichs

I just took a few quick photos... can anyone tell whats grafted on this stock? :)

post-7384-0-76169200-1327034377_thumb.jp post-7384-0-38421100-1327034387_thumb.jp

post-7384-0-76169200-1327034377_thumb.jpg

post-7384-0-38421100-1327034387_thumb.jpg

post-7384-0-76169200-1327034377_thumb.jpg

post-7384-0-38421100-1327034387_thumb.jpg

Edited by niggles

It was actually a trick question.. its a pup on snail attack, looking very much like a graft :)

heres a more distinct example.

post-7384-0-51769000-1327038213_thumb.jp

My snail misery finally seems to be under control now we have diatemacious earth sprinkled everywhere.

The cactus in these photos have been trying to put out a pup for two seasons now.. finally success!

post-7384-0-51769000-1327038213_thumb.jpg

post-7384-0-51769000-1327038213_thumb.jpg

hahhahaha damn you :slap:

i actually thought it just looked like a pup when i was looking at the pic

you got me :) haha

I was just gunna put up the picture, but mu told me to trick people. hehe I apologise

Heres another harsh example of the struggle at the back of the yard.\

post-7384-0-24659100-1327045588_thumb.jp

post-7384-0-24659100-1327045588_thumb.jpg

post-7384-0-24659100-1327045588_thumb.jpg

I hope I never get snails as bad as that ! I have a few cacti now and havn't seen any damage as bad as that, good luck with living with them, my only remedy is to squash them when it's raining outside. I don't use chemicals.

yeah no chemicals here, I use diatomaceous earth - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

its very very fine so gotta be real careful not to inhale it - will not be nice to lungs. Once its on the ground though it tends to stick there.

Went from handpicking bucketloads of snails out of the backyard every evening and still having everything eaten back to plants being able to grow again.

Look into it if you got snail troubles, its good for the soil too!

I had a big snail problem too. Luckely I have most of my plants in pots so the damn bastards were easily found and crushed. Also found the eggs and they too got the death penalty right away,.... no trial for them.

I did a lot of stomping too. They get out of hand so quickly when you have a lush garden.

i find little blue pellets work a treat. I'd like to use no chems, but I like having my cacti grow more. So I use very sparingly. Good thing is the blue ones kill slaters and millepeds too

Rinsed, dried and crushed egg shells are great to sprinkle around pot bases..

Coffee grounds fuck up a lot of insects, cos the caffeine is poisonous to 'em.

(or it would just be hilarious to see a snail speeding along..)

Soap..salt..copper..

are all enemies of snail and slug.

Now.. im just tryna think up some funky physcial barrier,

that can be sprayed or stuck around the columns to prevent the snails from climbing higher.

Most of the time, they're only munchn on the top fo the cactus right?

Edited by mud

yeah,.. the snails seem to into feeding mode higher up the cacti,.... strange little bastards.... instead of starting munching right away they seem to start somewhere in the middle or more at the top.

gonna spray some funky anti snail stuff on my plants today!

caterpilla's have been doing some mean damage lately, they manage to munch down into the core of the plant.

not any more tho :uzi:

that new fresh green growth looks oh so tasty if i was a insect i would go for that

I have birds that like to much on my cactus when they get a chance always the nicest lookin stuff gets munched

I just lost a graft to caterpillars i need some sort of defence i was thinking maybe use nicotiana rustice with some water. would this harm the cacti??

theres a trail of dead slugs and salt around my grafts, i leave them there as warning. nothings bothered mine in a while now :)

Crap..seems I no longer reccomend coffee grounds. It's as if it attracted something to my chilli plant... (of all the friggn plants a bug would munch) and has nearly stuffed it.

I've sprinkled some pellets around, but soo didnt want to use da poison.

In my travels, I noticed a snail and slug trap that was just a lil bucket thing that suggests filling it half up with BEER.

Apparently snails and slugs can't resist beer.

A bit like me : )