The Corroboree
chilli

Where is a good place to buy cacti in Perth?

In Christchurch there was a really cool cactus greenhouse I could buy cacti from, and a lot of stores had quite a range as well. In perth it seems like there is only a very limited range of usually very small cacti.. Bunnings near me doesn't seem to have barely anything. Does anyone know of good stores to buy different kinds of cacti and succulents from?

try the paper bro theres always a few cacti in there

as for an actual shop, there is nowhere. The best places are sunday markets.

I spoke to someone at Waldecks today, reckons there's some nurseries down south that sell cacti, but I'm pretty sure he just didn't know..

Thanks guys, guess I'll be keeping and eye on the paper and visiting some markets... can you recommend any good ones BT?

i can but im not gonna give away my gold mines :P

:(

i can but im not gonna give away my gold mines :P

I guess I will have to visit some markets one by one.. from some of BT's other posts it sounds like Canningvale markets will be a good place to start! :devil::P

*edit a bird told me Belmont swap meet has a lot of good cacti lately and Melville swap meets have had some in the past. Apparently it pays to get in early!

Edited by chilli

thats the thing, it should be a hunt. I have been hunting for 3 years and still am :) pretty much any swapmeet/market will have cacti. i just go to canningvale and they sometimes have decent cacti

see! All you had to do was UTSE! There is no gold mine in Perth, was a joke. get out there and explore! I didnt get a free ride when i started :)

Edited by Bush Turkey
  • Like 1

I can vouch for the old boy at the Melville markets, he's not there regularly but has a good selection of cacti/succulents

• Like 1

Well I am hunting! But collecting cacti is not a secret society.. Or is there some cactus illuminati I don't know about? :P

Thanks everyone (including BT) for the tips, I went to Wanneroo market this morning and got a couple of Lithops.

Hey BT did you ever chase that Jerex guy down? It's really close to me but he never answered my emails.. ps Glad you were joking about the gold mine, it gave me an image of you like Scrooge McDuck crouching over big piles of cacti going muahahaha, mine all my mine! :lol:

Edited by chilli
  • Like 1

haha dude :) im far from a scrooge, i have a tiny garden. Haha it did come across like i was a scrooge :P Na sorry i never got in contact with jerex. Yeah but nowhere in Perth is a gold mine. pretty much just keeping your eyes open is the best way. There is a fair few houses around perth with cactus and are more then willing to part with some.

• Like 2

Yep people around here are very kind if you go and ask them for a cutting or two off there cacti. so id say your best bet is to go for a drive or walk around your neighbourhood and keep an eye out where ever you go lol ive gotten some nice cacti from random houses with cacti that i just went up to and asked for a cutting.

• Like 1

yep thats the best way! There is so much big bridge's /Pach/ peruvianus in the older areas, They were a popular plant from 1950's to 1970's when you could bring back cuts from your travels. There is so much clones "undiscovered" in Perth by the ethno community. Its always best to ask, i asked for a cutting of a cuzco that was out the front of a house near me, he said "do you like blue cacti?". took me out the back to show me his massive bridgesii from germany and give me cuttings from that.

• Like 1

ahh thats awesome BT mostly i see cereus types but once I got a nice cutting of a T. scopulicola :)

edit: spelling lol

Edited by jwerta

interesting, it must be because i am in the northern suburbs that i never see any.. that, plus i never go anywhere.. well there are a few cereus here and there..

but i am particularly interested in non-ethno cacti and other succulents, small and large.

Edited by chilli

Ah I didn;t see your last post before I posted that BT.. confirmation of my suspicions!

• Like 1

it is exciting! Im in walking distance from 2 massive bridgesii's, massive pach, big cuzco's and peru's

ive only ever seen 1 massive 15ft plus pach NOR

ive been to jerex.got a small tbm but nothing else worth worrying about.very limited supply