The Corroboree
Philocacti

T. bridgesii monstrouse clone A

I received a tbm clone A a few weeks ago, from a great nooker/SABian. I kept searching for info about it but couldn't find any; not here nor at the Nook. Even on google I couldn't find any websites or other forums that offer info about it.

It seems that it's somehow rare compared to clone B. I have only read about it but never seen it until i received my cutting.

I don't know if has any other names. Is this clone the same as "Hulks dick"?

So if anyone has any info or links I would appreciate it if they'd share it.

The cutting I got doesn't seem to have any areole on it. I have seen pictures of it recently and it has areols on the bottom (like TBM B). Does this mean that my cutting will grow to certain point than stop growing (since it won't be able to pup? or is there something i'm missing here?

Thanks in advance :)

The "Hulk's Dick" plant.. I am not even sure it is a bridgesii, from memory one site labels it as a Lophocereus schotti monstrose (smooth form) which seems a lot more likely just looking at the thing.

The Clone A does not (yet) exist in Aus/NZ, it is basically the same as the Clone B but shows much more of a propensity to grow long "penises"

Doesn't have areoles hey? I am really not sure what woudl happen.. I am guessing it will have to form some at some stage if it is going to pup.. does it look like a long TBM or like the pictuires of the so called hulk dick you see around?

*edit* For comparison, hulk dick and a penis plant (looks like it could be clone A) side by side (thios is the site that labels it lophocereus):

http://www.cactus-ar...i_big_penis.htm

Edited by chilli

You got me all excited there for a second I thought you were saying Clone A was in aus.

So you cant see any areoles on your cutting anywhere?

(can we see a pic?)

Im told you sometimes get areoles that arent visible on the outer skin, so it could be fine. Personally i would plant it and be hopeful and pleased.

post-7384-0-45477400-1326456093_thumb.jp

This is what Im picturing when you talk about clone A...

post-7384-0-45477400-1326456093_thumb.jpg

post-7384-0-45477400-1326456093_thumb.jpg

yup that's it,

maybe the cutting i got has one of these small unseen areol but i couldn't see any

sorry i forgot to post the pic so here you go

photo3.jpg

sorry i'm on the other side of earth but if it grows fast and pups when the next growing season comes, maybe i can send someone in OZ a cutting and it'll be their job to spread it around ;)

so it's the same as clone B but has a larger spineless growing tip,

so a question if the cutting i obtained doesn't have any areols, would it work if i scrap the wxy layer in a certain area and apply auxin or any other hormon that promotes pupping (like in tissue culture)?

Philo- pics can be deceiving, what are the dimensions of your cut?

I think it would be a misnomer to label any tbm as 'hulks dick' as there are several species that are referenced or sold as such, most notably T. santiaguensis, aka 'Golden Torch'.

the clone A, tall form has several different 'looks' or growth patterns that fully manifest themselves, but only when planted in the earth.

I've two totally different forms of the clone A, as well as several of the T. santiaguensis.

And fwiw- crested tbm's often revert back to a tall form, especially when grafted.

thanks zelly

i wasn't trying to name it hulk's dick, i was just asking if it was hulks dick but from your post it obvious that it isn't.

I'll measure my cutting and post it for you. However it's girth is way thicker than any of my other bridgesii monstrous i have.

here's some pics, everybody likes pics....

the slender tall tbm in the front in the first pic is 30 cm tall & has only one aerole visible down low on the left.

the two stems in the back are around 60 & 70 cm tall and as can be seen are pupping. You can see the two big fat pups on the lower right on the plants, they're much fatter than the predominately pot grown main stems. Only after putting them in the ground have they taken on a much more robust growth & look.

tbmadsc0020.jpg

tbmadsc0024.jpg

tbmadsc0032.jpg

tbmadsc0033.jpg

• Like 1

Nice plants! I haven't seen such good photos of clone A in my searches on the net. :drool2:

We have to get that is oz!

Chef

wow thanks zelly you really made my day with those photos. you've got it made there. pat on the back for being awesome!

the crest in the background has amazing presence..

its like a dream.

I had some crests like that in NZ, it is a godo enough reason to move back there one day!

I really like the angular effect on the new pups from the penis plant.. does that shape juist grow out?

Great pictures zelly

Tbm clone A has looks of both tbm clone B and melted wax bridgesii.

Can't wait to see it grow

seems the telling trait is th continued areole growth along the entire length of column, instead of just at the base. I have only ever had one pup produce an areole randomly 2/3rds of the way up the segment. That areole has pupped this year. It's the most diff plant in my TBM collection. But still, deff not clone A IMO, but closer looking than normal.

Naja - you got me confused here

Are you saying the one you have isn't clone A? Or do you mean the posted ones in this thread?

Can you a picture of yours?

What are the characteristics of clone A?

What, no strategically placed lophs in those shots zelly :P Nice garden mate.

Naja - Seems the clone we have here will elongate and throw out areoles anywhere even on the tip. I have grown quiet a few that stretched out and looked like the one in niggles pic above, i think Rev had some similar. Different conditions and all that jazz.

Still yet to get a crest from them, but i doubt it will happen, maybe once i get over 500 tbms ill see one.

wow thanks zelly you really made my day with those photos. you've got it made there. pat on the back for being awesome!

the crest in the background has amazing presence..

its like a dream.

haha thanks for mentioning the crest I didn't even notice it!

I mean wat PD says. Clone A seems to produce the areoles entire length. I have had one of my regular TBM clone B do the elongate, swan neck deal. It did produce a single areole half way up well after it had grown monstrose for quite a while. But yes, only a single areole, not multifple of CLONE A like pictured by Zelly

Sry for the confusion.