The Corroboree
chilli

How would you propagate this TBM?

Thanks so much to oxydiser for this awesome TBM!

Regretfully, I am thinking of dividing it up to propagate, and was wondering what other members would suggest to be the best way of going about it?

post-1250-0-82357900-1328886776_thumb.gi

My thoughts are break up the base into three or four pieces, keeping roots on each piece and plant them individually.. that way they get to do some growing while it's summer, instead of spending time putting ourt roots.

Over the years I have heard some say bigger and some say smaller pots are best for TBM.. any thoughts on this?

Also, I have a few little rooted single pups that I managed to salvage from my neighbors when they stole them (grrr) and they don't appear to be doing much.. I am hesitant to hit them with ferts when they aren't actively growing, think it's a good idea to try and kick start them a bit?

post-1250-0-82357900-1328886776_thumb.gif

post-1250-0-82357900-1328886776_thumb.gif

Edited by chilli

Hi there,

Lovely specimen you have.

When i propogated off my big TBM that looked similar to yours, I just cut off one or two segment pieces, and planted them. I think i had 2 out 20 cuts that didnt make it and went rotty.

I douse my TBMs in organic worm juice home made fertiliser. They love it and it doesnt seem to do any harm. I dunno about commercial fertilisers, but worm juice is the go!

My opinion is that they love to be overpotted. small pots = small plants in my experience (which is only 2-3 years of growing) I put mine in the biggest pots i can find.

I wouldn't think ripping the base apart would be the wisest move. I've always valued the age of the root systems in my cacti more than the material on top.

• Like 1

i agree with indigo, i would just take as many single segment cuttings as you want to propagate from the mother plant, leaving at least a few good healthy segments.. plant your cuttings & let them do their thing... then let the mother on her solid healthy root system continue to pump out pups & within 2 years you'll probably get all the segments back that you cut & then some plus you will have a bunch of new plants that are really starting to take off..

Edited by paradox

The more you put under soil the more roots that will develop in a shorter time... the fastest growing cactus cut I've planted had 30cm below soil and 40cm above - though it was a columnar and not a monstrose. Developed an established root system very quickly.

Just make sure you let em callous longer if you do such.

Well it seemed a shame to divide it up, but my thoughts were that it could become three similar sized plants in a couple of years.. but I have been convinced and took it out of its pot, scratched up the rootball and chucked in a much bigger one.

Now I also am hesitant to chop pieces off it!

Would this time of year be a good time to take some pups off and replant them? I have read some people saying that they only tend to put out new pups over spring, although there is actually a new one emerging from down low on this one since I got it last week, so I am wondering whether it is more likely to throw new pups now or later?

Would you recommend taking a two or three pup section, individual pups, or chop the pups mid-section? My individual pups I planted mid-spring haven't done much yet except put out roots.

*edit* here's as photo in his new home!

post-1250-0-27792200-1326361204_thumb.jp

post-1250-0-27792200-1326361204_thumb.jpg

post-1250-0-27792200-1326361204_thumb.jpg

Edited by chilli

I wouldn't think ripping the base apart would be the wisest move. I've always valued the age of the root systems in my cacti more than the material on top.

I agree, I never damage an existing root system and always leave it some areoles to grow from.

Nice one Chilli! My experience with Bridgedsii in general are that they are rot prone. Could simply be the climate I'm in. But if you have allot of rain, like sub-tropical or tropical douwnpours, then I would advise you to make a few cuttings and propogate them that way just so you have a plant or 2 xtra growing. Should you accidently make too much cuttings..... I will gladly take one off of you! ;-)

But should you decide not to make cuttings,.... just be aware to monitor it closely if there is allot of rain. I prefer most of my rot prone cacti under roof where I control the amount of water they get, rather then leaving it up to nature.

Edited by woof woof woof

I wouldn't divide it Tbm's grow much much faster as a big plant so you'll actually have less mass in a year or so if you divide it. I bought 2 the same size divided one and left one the one i divided into 3 pieces has put on 4 pups altogether the undivided one has put on like eleven pups so now I'm only dividing them when i can take some with 8 or more segments or more.

They will pup all through spring and summer if they are happy, I've even had them pup in autumn :)

I totally agree with cactuscarl & have seen all green mature tbm's throw a variegated pup on occasion.

I am in WA so it is quite dry here, so probably rot is less of a concern.

Will taking cuttings encourage it to pup?

I have a smaller one that I took four individual pups from last year (leaving two) and it has only put out one little pup so far, so I'm guessing (counterintuitively compared to columnar trichs) that maybe it will actually pup more if I just leave it alone and give it ferts?

Summer really hasn't hit us yet most of my cacti are only just starting to pup now.

I find that my more established TBM pups heaps through the summer

I would let it settle into its new pot for a few weeks and then start seasol and liquide fert every couple of alternate weeks.

Cheers

Got

Woot! Glad I left it as one piece and put it in a bigger pot: 6 fast growing pups in the last week or so!

Edited by chilli

Okay I just took some photos of the pups, but before I upload them can someone do me a favor.. can you download the image I posted in the first post to your computer, right clikc on it and select properties, and then details, and tell me what it says next to "owner" and "computer" or does it just say your name and the name of your computer?

Thanks, I am just trying to ensure all the personal info is stripped from photos before I upload any more. Cheers.

Okay I just took some photos of the pups, but before I upload them can someone do me a favor.. can you download the image I posted in the first post to your computer, right clikc on it and select properties, and then details, and tell me what it says next to "owner" and "computer" or does it just say your name and the name of your computer?

Thanks, I am just trying to ensure all the personal info is stripped from photos before I upload any more. Cheers.

didn't see any of your details on there so i think your pretty safe although you might want to wait for someone else as well to confirm this

Okay cheers for that jwerta, I just noticed the exif data and on my computer it also says my name and computer name at the bottom.. I am assuming it just has your details when you open it on your computer?

Here's the pups EG.. what are you accusing me of lying? Fuck this, I'm never posting to this forum again! Because you asked for photos no one here will ever benefit from my wonderful cacti! ;)

It was hard to get a shot that showed all of them, you can just make out six in this one.. two from about a week ago, and four more just a couple of days back appeared overnight:

post-1250-0-52009900-1328886573_thumb.gi

And this one that sprouted soon after I got it a few weeks back:

post-1250-0-34650800-1328886690_thumb.gi

Actually I just realized two of them are not very visible at all, oh well now it is like a game to find all six.

post-1250-0-52009900-1328886573_thumb.gif

post-1250-0-34650800-1328886690_thumb.gif

post-1250-0-52009900-1328886573_thumb.gif

post-1250-0-34650800-1328886690_thumb.gif

Edited by chilli
  • Like 1

He was only asking a question!!!! :P :P

That is a lovely lush looking plant man :drool2:

Chilli, I have always found with TBM's that the more biomass the more they will pump out decent pups. Light, water, sun, food and good potting medium are always a factor too.

Good to see you after all these years btw!