The Corroboree
tipz

sativex

I saw a news artice at Adelaide now yesterday reporting that medical trials are underway in Australia for the use of a drug called sativex in the treatment of cannabis withdrawls.

Article here : http://www.adelaiden...3-1226239563501

Anyway, surprisingly this is the first I had heard of sativex so i started doing a little research into it's availability in Australia. and i found this info at the nimbin hemp embassy

Sativex is available now in 22 countries including Australia via what is known as named patient supply. GW Pharmaceuticals are not allowed to promote this, so you are not going to see any advertisements or read about it in newspapers. Under this procedure, a patient's doctor writes a prescription for Sativex that is sent to GW Pharmaceuticals in the UK. In countries that allow this, the material is then sent directly to the patient. The process begins with the doctor sending an enquiry to: [email protected] GW Pharmaceuticals has published two new press releases: 20/05/2009 - Interim Results For The Six Months Ended 31 March 2009 - GW Files Sativex® Regulatory Submission To read the press releases, go to: Sativex Information

I imagine it is strictly kept for the use of such things as severe pain or MS. I have not got that far in my research. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this or knows someone to who is prescribed this medication. I would be a pretty happy man if i could convince my doctor to write me a prescription of sativex ! :drool2: ( I do suffer from regular pain due to a condition i suffer called life in society )

( i wasnt sure where exactly to post this so chill space it is )

post-9715-0-51387700-1326172320_thumb.jp

post-9715-0-51387700-1326172320_thumb.jpg

post-9715-0-51387700-1326172320_thumb.jpg

Edited by tipz

Look into to mullaway tinctures Australian based company it's sad our Government is trialling products made by a multi-national as oppose to an Australian company. Sativex is only currently being trialled here from my understanding in Newcastle and Sydney I'm pretty sure its not available to the general public as yet I believe its based on a thc relative that is not highly active

Edited by Neoshaman

Heard about this on the radio the other day.

Seemed as though it was being trialled to help people with a marijuanna addiction in the same way nicotine patches are used to stop cravings in smokers.

yes but used for various purposes in other countries as well

Considering cannabis withdrawls are quite mild compared to some other substances I wonder if this could also be used to treat the synthetic withdrawls like jwh and the like. Probably not though as there is no cross tolerance between the two.

( I do suffer from regular pain due to a condition i suffer called life in society )

haha, love it.

They trialled this a while ago in NZ when I was living there.. seem to remember it was for pain relief.

In NZ when jwh was still legal I used it in lieu of Cannabis for a few weeks and didn't have any withdrawals, even though I am the kind of person that is strongly affected by cannabis withdrawal, so I would say even if there is no cross tolerance that various synthetic cannabinoids could be used to treat withdrawal from each other as well as THC.

(Cannabis withdrawals are not mild for everyone, for some of us they can be excruciating)

(Cannabis withdrawals are not mild for everyone, for some of us they can be excruciating)

oh how true that is

i must say, i'm a little concerned guys.

8 posts in and nobody has gone on this long-winded semi-coherent spiel full of typographical errors about how pharmaceutical companies are satan spawn and all they care about profits, when essentially they've patented an existing drug and slapped a sticker on it.

or should glib criticism about the evils of big pharma end when it comes to drugs from which you think you'd personally benefit?

Considering cannabis withdrawls are quite mild compared to some other substances I wonder if this could also be used to treat the synthetic withdrawls like jwh and the like. Probably not though as there is no cross tolerance between the two.

is this true?

• Like 3

They are currently looking for participants in a Sativex trial for cannabis withdrawals in the Hunter Valley... glad to see some Aussie research trying to find something to alleviate coming off the bongs for heavy users.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-10/hunter-to-be-part-of-drug-study/3765064/?site=newcastle

Oh and I hate it when people say that cannabis is not addictive. I've experienced, and seen others experience, some pretty unpleasant symptoms when coming off weed cold turkey after years of daily use. I'd say almost on par with mild-moderate benzo WDs in terms of how they present - insomnia, nightmares, panic attacks, hot flushes and sweats etc.

faustus, not sure if you are being sarcastic but I have some big issues with how pharmaceutical companies operate, but I don't have a problem with using modern medicine in general.

What do you mean about slapped a sticker on a drug that already existed? sativex is not the same thing as cannabis in chemical structure or effects.

8 posts in and nobody has gone on this long-winded semi-coherent spiel full of typographical errors about how pharmaceutical companies are satan spawn and all they care about profits, when essentially they've patented an existing drug and slapped a sticker on it.

or should glib criticism about the evils of big pharma end when it comes to drugs from which you think you'd personally benefit?

is this true?

I did well not in as many words but I did say when we have a very similar product produced in Australia by a locally owned company why the hell are we trialling something by a bunch of multi-national crooks, hmmm don't seem to get as worked up and off track as when I used to smoke lmao

http://www.disinfo.com/2011/04/will-big-pharma-take-over-the-american-market-for-medical-marijuana/

this article raises a few interesting questions though as I said it is marketed for many other applications overseas i remember eading a few things about tolarence issues and other problems but can't seem to lay my hands on the article

Sativex is Cannabis oil extracted by solvent using ethanol, the ethanol is evaporated and the remaining oil is blended with alcohol to make a spray. thats it, nothing special about it and this info is direct from the GW Pharmasutical web site, look it up if you don't believe it. so its the pure extract of Cannabis or the THC and CBN's combined 50% each and they can manufacturer it and sell it for $5000 a prescription, no thanks, yet you do it and Jail... This is about money and control of a harmless substance and people. America has patented the Cannabis Cannabinols and have given exclusive rights for one company who's CEO is on the board for FDA to market and sell as a Cancer pain management oil. Its the members of the DOA boards and the FDA boards that are also CEO's for big Pharmas where the issues are, All medical universities are majority financed by big Pharmas, this is selective education of our doctors who know no better than to prescribe the poisons they teach them. the issue is deep and complex but simply put its power, money and corruption.

• Like 3

Is it as easy as that to make ? well call me doctor tipz ;)

im going to travel to a far off land and make this stuff myself :innocent_n:

Maybe papua new guinea ?

• Like 1

is this true?

I just took that jwh and cannabis ahve no cross tolerence as common knowledge but from looking it up there seems to be a lot of speculation. Anecdotally i'd say a regular cannabis smoker would seemingly have almost no tolerence to jwh when first lighting up but from what i've read it can be the opposite for someone who regularly smokes jwh. IE a regular jwh smoker will build up a tolerence to cannabis due to the full agonist properties of jwh at the CB1 and CB2 receptors. As I have no formal education with this sorta thing I can only go by the inferences I make.

However my post was saying that sativex may be better marketed as a jwh withdrawl medication rather than a cannabis one as the withdrawls from jwh seem a lot lot lot harsher than regular cannabis withdrawls.

I think the sale of a compound found in nature is good/bad. It's bad they're making money off something everyone has access to, it's good that these compounds are slowly being viewed more significant in the medical scene... even if their use is a response to their use. :/

America has patented the Cannabis Cannabinols and have given exclusive rights for one company who's CEO is on the board for FDA to market and sell as a Cancer pain management oil. Its the members of the DOA boards and the FDA boards that are also CEO's for big Pharmas where the issues are, All medical universities are majority financed by big Pharmas, this is selective education of our doctors who know no better than to prescribe the poisons they teach them. the issue is deep and complex but simply put its power, money and corruption.

this is all well and good, but you're neglecting one vital part of this entire conspiracy:

big pharma is actually in kahootz with the vatican and illuminati, who are major shareholders of the evil multinational biotech corp monsanto and are attempting to produce a hybrid transgenic legion of communazi werepanthers to do their bidding for them.

Untitled1.pngpanther_288x288.jpg

this whole debate on the evils of patenting sativex has been cleverly disseminated by big pharma themselves as an elaborate ruse to distract you from this fact.

• Like 1

this is all well and good, but you're neglecting one vital part of this entire conspiracy:

big pharma is actually in kahootz with the vatican and illuminati, who are major shareholders of the evil multinational biotech corp monsanto and are attempting to produce a hybrid transgenic legion of communazi werepanthers to do their bidding for them.

this whole debate on the evils of patenting sativex has been cleverly disseminated by big pharma themselves as an elaborate ruse to distract you from this fact.

Weed gets you high.

I myself have detoxed off the mary a few times, as have many close friends around me.

I dont think that the pot was additive in the sense no chemicals in the stuff is additive, but its defiantly easy to fall into a habitual use pattern that is hard to break. I felt that it was the habit (chopping/insense/music etc) that was addictive and hard to break, not the ganj itself. I guess thats why people do backy bongs when there on the mend...

d00d

Cannabis is not addictive in the way alcohol, benzo's or heroin is. But having said that, apart from non habit forming psychedelic plants and tobacco, I do not touch any other drug apart from cannabis and I do consider myself a drug addict.

I've just recently gone from over 5 grams a day to nothing and am camping out on the Murray river. I've noticed that as long as I keep a positive frame of mind and keep smoking baccy bongs, I do just fine. But the second I start feeling sorry for myself and start worrying about how I'm going to sleep, then I do start getting major withdrawal symptoms in the form of extreme depression.

I think most heavy cannabis users do start to rely on cannabis to make them happy, less anxious, help them sleep or even just to block out the realities of life. So if they quit abruptly, they will probably need to retrain there mind to do these things naturally.

What I've been doing for the last week or 2, is about 2 hours before sundown just setting up my chair by the river and watching the fish jump out of the water for there dinner and the cockatoos do there thing, being all loud and shit, just enjoying themselves being alive. I try my hardest not to let any other thought enter my head, except for this beautiful scene. Then when it gets dark, as calmly as I can, I climb into my tent and lay down, not even thinking about sleep. This method has actually really been working for me, I've usually just nodded of every time. 

Although, for a person who is working or has kids and just has a busy life in general and simply doesn't have a few hours every night to unwind, then something like sativex would probably come in very useful. But, I'm not totally convinced it just wouldn't be swapping one habit for another.

lol, also, a little birdie in a land far away where psychedelics are legal, told me that smoking a non-active amount DMT before bed really does calm the mind and helps with sleep on those depressive weedless nights. Although, it's illegal in Australia, so I wouldn't know myself.

Anyway, keep it real people.

Peace 

For me, discontinuing heavy marijuana use results in debilitating nausea, sleeplessness, heavy night sweats, cold sweats, aches and chills, mood swings, weight loss, depression, suicidal ideation, major panic attacks and anxiety. I found the nausea the worst of all, followed closely by the panic attacks. It only affects a small amount of people this way, but it is very real, and not just psychological. For me, the worst of it clears up after a few weeks, but takes a few months to completely settle down to normal.

Edited by chilli