The Corroboree
Alice

New SAB webstore

SAB store website is looking good Torsten.

Edited by Alice

SAB store website is looking good Torsten.

THANKS! Some great people doing some amazing work to get it to this point. Artwork by Izwoz and programming by virtualR, both members of this community. We've been at it for a few months now to get it just the way I wanted it. Still more work to do though.

Artwork by Izwoz

Ah yes of course, thought I recognised that owl on the quicklinks bar.

Edited by Alice

Torsten, I notice a couple of plants pages have been removed from your webstore now? Banisteriopsis, ephedra etc. In the past I believe the pages remained for the info, even if the item was out of stock.

Edited by Alice

Torsten, I notice a couple of plants pages have been removed from your webstore now? Banisteriopsis, ephedra etc. In the past I believe the pages remained for the info, even if the item was out of stock.

in future the info [ie genus] page will remain even if there are no items available. however, the way the database imported means we are starting from the other end and having to make that change to each genus manually (just once). I have not done this yet because it means having to also update the blurbs, which is a mammoth task so will need to be spaced out a bit.

Shop looks awesome, shame I am in WA and can only buy seeds.

• Like 1

I've split the above posts from the forum upgrade discussion so that the topic can be treated separately.

The new webstore is up and running. There are still a few bugs with shipping costs [don't worry we'll refund any excess charges], but other than that everything is running smoothly.

You will notice that there is no longer a distinction between shamanic, medicinal, ornamental or succulent plants, but rather that they are now all in the same alphabetical groupings. There are two reasons for this:

1) The future will likely bring legal changes that will make it more difficult to offer plants if they are presumed to be of psychoactive value. eg the proposed federal plant laws that will prohibit 'any plant cotaining DMT' will likely not affect other nurseries as they can simply claim ignorance of the dmt content [especially considering the attourney generals department was unaware that we had native dmt containing plants]. Such a 'presumed ignorance' defence is not available to a seller who clearly labels his plants as psychoactive. While 'shamanic' means many things besides psychoactive to the people in this community, to the straight community it basically just means drugs. So while we don't shy away from our name, we do have to be more careful about how we apply such labels to products we sell.

You will find that every plant or seed is grouped by genus. There will be two descriptions for each genus. One with the usual content we have provided which at times is a little blatant about the pharmacology. But there will also be another description, hich will be much more concise and a little vague on sensitive matters. If these stupid laws ever come into effect we will be able to simply turn the more detailed/blatant descriptions off [move them to another site] and keep running sab as usual.

2) The other purpose is education. The new short descriptions will highlight the points of interest in that genus and these will be available on the alphabetical listing page. ie more customers get exposed to more information. So someone who is already growing withania for its withanolide content might find themselves reading the paragraph about Jaborosa, realising that they contain the same compounds.

Much of my motivation to collect plants came from a little handbook by Mabberley. He is a world renowned botanist with a strong interest in ethnobotany and economic botany. His plant book is a list of genera with the main purpose being correct spelling and accurate taxonomy. More important for me was that for interesting genera he includes little one line references as to that plant's economic or cultural significance. I hope that this model will also allow others to expand their interests. [btw, Mabberley has just moved to australia and is now the director at the sydney botanic gardens, woohoo!]

Please bear with me while the descriptions are written or updated. At this stage I have turned off the genus listing for genera that have not been updated yet so that I can focus on the ones that are live. Once all the live ones are done I will also do the hidden ones and will make them visible again. The aim is top keep all genera visible with their short and long descriptions.

We will also keep most items visible, even when they are sold out. Many fast moving items sell inbetween customer visits, so some customers never get to see some of the stuff we actually have. This will also allow us to offer a notification service for out of stock items, so that if you have created an account with us you will be notified by email when the item is back in stock.

One thing I hate about webstores that keep items visible is that it says in the category "5 items available", but when you get to the listing page the items are all listed as 'out of stock'. We have modified our webstore so that in the categories it will only tell you how many items are actually truely available. So conversely you may find a category that says that no items are available, but when you have a look anyway there will be items with zero stock. We feel this is less likely to cause frustration than the other way round.

Over the next couple of months we will also establish a system for our WA customers that makes ordering easier. If your address is a WA address [either by postcode or state designation] certain items will not be selectable for you. That way there is no more confusion about what you can order and what you can't. You will however need to be logged in for this service to kick in. Conversely, if you want to browse what you're missing out on then you need to log out.

There will be lots more funky features to come thanks to the brilliant (and patient ;) ) php programmer that is building my webstore, who is also a member of this community. If you need any php work done I suggest you click the 'virtual R' link at the bottom of the shop.

• Like 1

It looks great. Maybe good time to also remove some dead links in info and all that.

This may be off topic Torsten, but what in your opinion is the likelihood of these absurd federal plant laws being passed?

This may be off topic Torsten, but what in your opinion is the likelihood of these absurd federal plant laws being passed?

Plenty of other threads dedicated to that topic and I've commented there.

Yeah hehe I just realized that would be the case after posting.

Plenty of other threads dedicated to that topic and I've commented there.

Over the next couple of months we will also establish a system for our WA customers that makes ordering easier. If your address is a WA address [either by postcode or state designation] certain items will not be selectable for you. That way there is no more confusion about what you can order and what you can't. You will however need to be logged in for this service to kick in.

That's quite a clever filter. I would like to see that in operation (Im not in WA though, so I may have to create a dummy account)

That's quite a clever filter. I would like to see that in operation (Im not in WA though, so I may have to create a dummy account)

The WA restrictions are costing us big time in terms of adjusting orders, emails, customer service, frustration, etc. It was actually cheaper for us not to send ANYTHING to WA. So the only way we can sustain service to WA is to automate it.

The aboriginal theme is a lot stronger than before. Is it copnnected to any particular language group? Who did the art?

post #2 "Artwork by Izwoz".

http://www.izwoz.com.au/

No connection to any language group, well, actually probably quite a lot of different ones. The centre is a design I drafted and izwoz brought to life. The top banner background is an image generated by izwoz after looking at my screensaver, which is a pic I took of a sandune in the Mulligan River area [pituringa]. The leaves are desert acacias which pollinate the starry sky [concept by izwoz]. The left nav bar is part of a larger image of 'rockart' using some better known izwoznian interpretations of various rocks art around australia, including the wandjinas.

Also you should update the front page: http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/A

A little bit outdated and you have to scroll down to see every option

that link doesn't actually work. firstly, I am pretty sure I;ve said it at least once or twice above, but this is only the start. more to come. kinda pointless to point out things that are already commissioned.

secondly, I have no iea what you mean about needing to scroll. Isn't that what the scroll wheel is for? why is that a problem? That's presuming you are referring to the homepage, which I can't be sure because of the invalid link.

secondly, I have no iea what you mean about needing to scroll. Isn't that what the scroll wheel is for? why is that a problem? That's presuming you are referring to the homepage, which I can't be sure because of the invalid link.

I assume he's talking about the main page too. Also, scroll wheels are helpful and all for reading long articles but as far as landing pages go it's way nicer to have it all infront of you without having to scroll about. Just my 2c.

Interesting points greencave, I am so ensconced in my white privilege it didn't even occur to me.

I've had this discussion before which is why i was getting tetchy , sorry.

I also own a company called wandjina gardens pty Ltd, but I do not use that name on anything commercial because of the sensitivities involved, ie it will never appear on a product or anything like that.

I am never going to convince the critics of this, but here is my take on the use of australian indigenous imagery for my sites:

Firstly, I am not australian, nor a descendant of any colonial force. I have no guilt. I make sure that I share my financial and business resources with indigenous communities because I am aware of their plight, but I in no way contributed to it or have derived benefit from it either in this generation or prior. If I was to leave australia my spot would likely be taken by someone far less supportive of indigenous cultures.

Secondly, while I would not directly copy a piece of art, I have no problem appropriating a style or modern adaptions of its elements. We all do it, but suddenly become sensitive when it comes to aboriginal art? Part of bringing value to cultural influences is to live them and to not buy into the taboos. I don't care what culture they are from. I laugh at cartoons depicting the prophet muhammad, I play native american drums at rituals, I chew betel nut, I am a bwiti. Most people don't even know what wandjina are, so if their presence on my webpage helps to raise awareness of them then maybe next time some mining project aims to destroy them enough people will make noise and stop it.

Thirdly, secret cultures die out. I would like to see these cultural elements become more prominent than the other plagiarised cultural elements our community is attached to. We revere the peyote and the huichol art that surrounds it, or the peruvian ayahuasca traditions, but most of us know nothing about the wandjinas and the 3 tribal groups that they belong to. All the government programs are doing precious little to save what's left. These kind of treasures are only protected by a wider appreciation.

I know it is controversial, but I'd much rather decorate my shop with something that is local and raises indigenous cultural awareness than to borrow somethign from much futher away and of less relevance. Whther it is aztec gods, cherokee feathers or hindu insignia, most ethnbotany businesses borrow from other cultures. I prefer to keep it local. I could have just bought a piece of stock art from china and used that, but instead supported a local artist. I don't actually sell that art, I just use it for decoration.

I don't really have a problem with the art, although I can see how people would be offended using aboriginal art for a commercial enterprise.

However, it's complete bullshit to say you don't derive benefit from the colonization of Australia when you freaking live here and set up shop, whether you call yourself an Australian or not.

Edited by chilli
  • Like 1

However, it's complete bullshit to say you don't derive benefit from the colonization of Australia when you freaking live here and set up shop, whether you call yourself an Australian or not.

Does the same apply if I move to south america, USA, africa or asia? How many hundreds of years have to pass before colonisations becomes migration? Does that mean people can no longer move around? Is it 200 years that is sensitive like in oz, or 500 like in the USA, or a few thousand years like in europe and asia?

I am not deriving my benefit from australia, but from what I do, and it doesn't matter where I do it. I'd quite happily live here and run my business under an aboriginal government for example. I intentionally try not to benefit from any of the industries that extract wealth from this land because I don't think that wealth belongs to us.

i couldnt find any trich species ?

Will they be up once you finalise adjustments or will they no longer be available ?

EDIT : sorry. just found them under echinopsis spp

Edited by tipz

Yes of course the same thing would apply in all those places.

You are taking a lot for granted by saying you don't benefit from Australia and it is all about what you do.. if you came here and it was just the aborigines and no post-colonial culture I think you might find you had a bit of a hard time benefiting from what you do:

Firstly, there would be no infrastructure which you rely on like all of us, secondly there would be nothing but native plants and I don't think the indigenous folk would be all that interested in buying those from you, and thirdly you would probably get a spear in the chest.

I don't think you should feel guilty (I don't) but I also think you are taking a lot for granted.

Edited by chilli

but how are any of these things different from being in any other place?

I am not saying australia has nothing to offer - obviously cos otherwise I wouldn't be here, but what I am getting at is that I could be doing this anywhere [probably far more profitable in most other countries too].

By your theory, just how far would I be allowed to move from my birthplace in central germany before I become a colonialist? And how much compensation or credit should I be expecting from those who persecuted and displaced my own ancestors three hundred years ago?

You can't stop migration and you can't undo the colonisation of australia. You can only minimise the existing damage and build a multicultural existence that normalises relations. Imagine a country where each cultural group has exclusive rights to their culture? Italians are the only ones allowed to make pasta, germans the only ones to brew beer, polynesians the only ones to drink kava, etc. It's exclusive, divisive and ridiculous.

Just curious, have either you or greencavefloat ever bought anything from sab?

Yes I bought some stuff back in 2002-3.. I'm yet to check out the allowed list to WA, might just wait until it's automatic so I don't stuff it up.. but why are you asking?

but how are any of these things different from being in any other place?

They are no different.. I said the same argument would apply elsewhere! But my "theory" doesn't have anything to do with you being allowed/not being allowed to move around the globe, or to do with whether it is right or wrong to colonize, nor to do with compensation or anything else you have mentioned.. as I said I am not implying you should feel guilty and don't have an issue with you appropriating abroiginal art. I have maori and jewish ancestry and I don't expect anything from anyone.. we all come from somewhere.

I was just taking issue with your stated claim that you are not deriving any benefit from the colonization of Australia.. I think you clearly are by virtue of living and working here, if it wasn't for colonization that would not be happening.

Edited by chilli

for sure good one actually anyone who has benefited in any way from even 1 of the following events should feel massive guilt, and should be obliged to acknowledge it every time First Australians are mentioned. it really helps the cause :rolleyes:

18th century

• 1770: English Lieutenant James Cook's expedition in HM Bark Endeavour charts the eastern coast, and claims it for the British Crown. Australia dubbed "terra nullius"[7] i.e., according to the European legal precepts of the era, it was "owned" by no-one.
  • 1788: The British First Fleet, led by Governor Arthur Phillip arrives in New South Wales to found first European settlement and penal colony at Sydney. Colony includes "all the islands adjacent in the Pacific Ocean" and running westward to the 135th meridian east.[8] This claim included the islands of New Zealand, which were administered as part of New South Wales.
  • 1788: British settlement founded at Norfolk Island.
  • 1790 : Beleaguered Second Fleet arrives. Colony gripped by food crisis.
  • 1792: Two French ships, La Recherche and L'Espérance, anchor at Recherche Bay, near the southernmost point of Tasmania at a time when England and France were racing around the globe to be the first to discover and colonise Australia.
  • 1792 : Governor Philip returns to England, accompanied by his friend Bennelong and a companion who become the first Australian born person to sail to Europe.
  • 1797: Sydney Cove wrecked and some survivors travelled from Bass Strait to Port Jackson allowing for the rescue of others but also furthering knowledge of the geography of Australia.
  • 1798-9 : George Bass and Matthew Flinders sail from Sydney and circumnavigate Tasmania, thus proving it to be an island.

[edit]19th century

[edit]1800s

[edit]1810s

[edit]1820s

[edit]1830s

[edit]1840s

[edit]1850s

• 1850: Western Australia becomes a penal colony.
  • 1850: Australian Colonies Government Act [1850] grants representative constitutions to New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania, colonies set about writing constitutions which produced democratically progressive parliaments
  • 1850: Australia's first university, the University of Sydney, is founded.
  • 1851: Victoria separates from New South Wales.
  • 1851: The Victorian gold rush starts when gold is found at Summerhill Creek and Ballarat.
  • 1851: Forest Creek Monster Meeting of miners at Chewton near Castlemaine
  • 1853: Bendigo Petition and Red Ribbon Rebellion at Bendigo
  • 1854: The Eureka Stockade
  • 1855: The transportation of convicts to Norfolk Island ceases.
  • 1855 : All men over 21 years of age obtain the right to vote in South Australia.
  • 1856: Van Diemen's Land name changed to Tasmania.
  • 1857: Victorian Committee reported that a 'federal union' would be in the interests of all the growing colonies. However, there was not enough interest in or enthusiasm for taking positive steps towards bringing the colonies together.
  • 1857: Victorian men achieve the right to vote.
  • 1858: Sydney and Melbourne linked by electric telegraph.
  • 1858: New South Wales men achieve the right to vote.
  • 1859: SS Admella wrecked off south-east coast of South Australia with the loss of 89 lives.
  • 1859: Australian rules football codified, Melbourne Football Club founded
  • 1859: Queensland separates from New South Wales with its western border at 141° E.

[edit]1860s

[edit]1870s

[edit]1880s

• 1880: The bushranger Ned Kelly is hanged.
  • 1880: Parliamentarians in Victoria become the first in Australia to be paid for their work.
  • 1882: First water-borne sewerage service in Australia commenced operations in Adelaide.
  • 1883: The opening of the Sydney-Melbourne railway
  • 1883: Silver is discovered at Broken Hill
  • 1887: An Australian cricket team is established, defeating England in the first Ashes series. First direct Inter-colonial passenger trains begin running between Adelaide and Melbourne.
  • 1888: Louisa Lawson founds The Dawn: A Journal for Australian Women.
  • 1889: The completion of the railway network between Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney.
  • 1889: Sir Henry Parkes delivers the Tenterfield Oration.

[edit]1890s

• 1890: The Australian Federation Conference calls a constitutional convention.
  • 1891: A National Australasian Convention meets, agrees on adopting the name "the Commonwealth of Australia" and drafting a constitution.
  • 1891: The first attempt at a federal constitution is drafted.
  • 1891: The Convention adopts the constitution, although it has no legal status
  • 1891: A severe depression hits Australia
  • 1892: Gold is discovered at Coolgardie, Western Australia.
  • 1893: The Corowa Conference (the "people's convention") calls on the colonial parliaments to pass enabling acts, allowing the election of delegates to a new constitutional convention aimed at drafting a proposal and putting it to a referendum in each colony.
  • 1894: South Australia becomes the first Australian colony, and the second place in the world, to grant women the right to vote, as well the first Parliament in the world to allow women to stand for office.
  • 1895: The premiers, except for those of Queensland and Western Australia, agree to implement the Corowa proposals.
  • 1895: Waltzing Matilda is first sung in public, in Winton, Queensland
  • 1895: Banjo Paterson publishes The Man from Snowy River
  • 1896: The Bathurst Conference (the second "people's convention") meets to discuss the 1891 draft constitution
  • 1897: In two sessions, the Second National Australasian Convention meets (with representatives from all colonies except Queensland present). They agree to adopt a constitution based on the 1891 draft, and then revise and amend it later that year. Catherine Helen Spence became the first female political candidate for political office, standing for election as a representative for South Australia.
  • 1898: The Convention agrees on a final draft to be put to the people.
  • 1898: After much public debate, the Victorian, South Australian and Tasmanian referendums are successful; the New South Wales referendum narrowly fails. Later New South Wales votes "yes" in a second referendum, and Queensland and Western Australia also vote to join.
  • 1899: The decision is made to site the national capital in New South Wales, but not within 100 miles of Sydney.
  • 1899: The Australian Labor Party holds office for a few days in Queensland, becoming the first trade union party to do so anywhere in the world.
  • 1899: The first contingents from various Australian colonies are sent to South Africa to participate in the Second Boer War.

[edit]20th century

[edit]1910s

[edit]1920s

[edit]1930s

[edit]1940s

[edit]1950s

[edit]1960s

• 1962 – Robert Menzies' Commonwealth Electoral Act provided that all Indigenous Australians should have the right to enrol and vote at federal elections, removing remaining restrictions applying in QLD, WA and NT.
  • 1962 Malayan Insurgence ends
  • 1964 – The Beatles tour Australia; 82 sailors die when HMAS Voyager sinks after being rammed by HMAS Melbourne; the editors of Oz magazine are charged with obscenity; PM Robert Menzies announces the reintroduction of compulsory military service for men aged from 18–25 years old; First troops sent to Vietnam War.
  • 1965 – Indigenous Australians gain right to vote in state of Queensland
  • 1966 – The ban on the employment of married women in the Commonwealth Public Service is lifted; Menzies retires as Australia's longest-serving Prime Minister and is succeeded byHarold Holt.
  • 1966 – Decimalisation; on *14 February the Australian currency is changed to dollars and cents, with the Australian Dollar replacing the Australian pound.
  • 1967 – Large areas of Hobart and south-eastern Tasmania are devastated by bushfires on 7 February that kill 62 people; Prime Minister Holt drowns and is succeeded by John Gorton; the constitution is changed to allow Aboriginal Australians to be included in the population count and for the federal government to legislate for them; Sydney is rocked by a series of brutal underworld killings; talkback radio is introduced; British comedian Tony Hancock commits suicide in Sydney; Gough Whitlam becomes leader of the Labor Party;Ronald Ryan becomes the last person legally executed in Australia.
  • 1968 – Australia signs the nuclear non-proliferation treaty; Aboriginal boxing champion Lionel Rose defeats Masahiko "Fighting" Harada in Japan to become the world bantamweight champion; Australia's first liver transplant operation is performed in Sydney;
  • 1969 – French conceptual artist Christo 'wraps' Little Bay in Sydney; renowned author-artists Norman Lindsay and May Gibbs die; the Australian production of the rock musical Hairpremieres in Sydney; top pop groups The Easybeats and The Twilights break up; Tim Burstall directs2000 Weeks, the first all-Australian feature released since Charles Chauvel'sJedda in 1958

[edit]1970s

• 1970 – More than 200,000 people participate in the largest demonstrations in Australian history, against the Vietnam War
  • 1971 – Neville Bonner becomes the first Aborigine to become an Australian Member of Parliament; John Gorton resigns and is succeeded by William McMahon
  • 1971 – The 1971 Springbok tour sparks protest all throughout Australia. Premier of Queensland Joh Bjelke-Petersen declares a state of emergency in QLD in response to escalating protest.
  • 1971 – Daylight Saving is introduced to New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, and the Australian Capital Territory.[15]
  • 1972 – The Commonwealth Conciliation and Arbitration Commission rules that women doing the same job as men have the right to be paid the same wage.
  • 1972 – Aboriginal Tent Embassy erected in response to the Coalition government's approval of exploration licences and mining tenements on reserves
  • 1972 – The first Labor government since 1949 is elected under the leadership of Gough Whitlam
  • 1972 – Australia recognizes the People's Republic of China
  • 1972 – Queensland abandons Daylight Saving.[15]
  • 1973 – The Sydney Opera House is opened
  • 1973 – The White Australian Policy (established 1901) is officially dismantled
  • 1973– Vietnam War ends
  • 1973 – The federal voting age is dropped from 21 to 18
  • 1973 – Unionists save the historic "The Rocks" area of Sydney from demolition by introducing "Green Bans"
  • 1973 – Patrick White becomes the first Australian to win the Nobel Prize for Literature
  • 1974 – Darwin is devastated by Cyclone Tracy
  • 1975 – A constitutional crisis occurs when Malcolm Fraser blocks supply, bringing the nation to a standstill until Governor-General John Kerr dismisses Prime Minister Gough Whitlam on 11 November 1975. Fraser wins elections and becomes Prime Minister
  • 1975 – The 'Privy Council (Appeals from the High Court) Act removes the right to appeal High Court decisions to the British Privy Council. Appeals to the Privy Council direct from State Supreme Courts remain until 1988.
  • 1975 – South Australia becomes the first state in Australia to legalise homosexuality between consenting adults in private.
  • 1975 – Whitlam government introduced the Aboriginal Land (NT) Bill into Parliament. The bill proposed land rights in the Northern Territory based on land claimed on grounds of need as well as traditional affiliation and traditional landowners maintaining control over mining and development.
  • 1976 – The Australian Capital Territory legalises homosexuality between consenting adults in private.
  • 1977 – Advance Australia Fair becomes Australia's official national anthem
  • 1977 – Granville rail disaster killed eighty-three people
  • 1978 – The First Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras kicks off in Sydney
  • 1979 – Australian women win the right to maternity leave
  • 1979 – Kakadu National Park and the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park are both proclaimed.

[edit]1980s

[edit]1990s

[edit]2000

[edit]21st century