The Corroboree

hmm, i'll come out and say it.

i watched about 20 minutes of this and basically found it pretentious and boring. hardly challenged my thinking at all, and some of the effects were trite and overdone.

I watched the film when I was younger and remembered enjoying it a lot. At a later point after I discovered cannabis I decided it would be a really good idea to get high and watch it, hoping it would blow my mind and bring on a whole new level of meaning. I found my experience was closer to yours though, the whole film suddenly felt really pretencious and shallow.

My recommendation is to just watch the film without having too many preconceptions. Just let it evoke whatever it's gonna evoke, it's still a whole lot of fun and the animation and music is great. I really like the soundtrack. (Which should be available for download if you google 'a scanner darkly soundtrack mediafire' assuming you already own the soundtrack and would like a digital copy)

Thinking back there are a lot of memorable and fun moments. Good conversations from good people. Just don't take anything too seriously.

Edited by Buttcrabs

hey thunder, will ya, for dear ole faustypoo?

wh....why? i get this kind of abstract "feeling", if i had to translate it to words i'd say like... like i'm being............ tested.

• Like 1

Buttcrabs.. new best name.

A bit boring but plenty of good conversations, like a Jim Jarmusch movie. Pretentiousness is in the eye of the beholder, it's just some philosophical conversations, like you would have with your friends whilst stoned or tripping, with a cool disjointed visual style that does (for me) evoke the feeling of a dream. Not a movie I rush back to, but definitely one I'd watch again.

(A boat car drives up in front of the airport)

[...]

"Not a problem. Anchors away. So what do you think of my little vessel? She's what we call seeworthy, s-e-e, see with your eyes. I feel like my transport should be an extension of my personality. Voila. And this, this is like my little window to the world and every minute's a different show. Now I may not understand it, I may not even necessarily agree with it, but I'll tell you what, I accept it and just sort of glide along. You want to keep things on an even keel I guess is what I'm saying. You want to go with the flow. The sea refuses no river.

The idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving. Saves on introductions and goodbyes. The ride does not require an explanation, just occupants. That's where you guys come in. It's like you come onto this planet with a crayon box. Now you may get the 8-pack, you may get the 16-pack, but it's all in what you do with the crayons, the colors that you're given. And don't worry about drawing within the lines, or coloring outside the lines. I say, color outside the lines. You know what I mean? Color right off the page. Don't box me in! We're in motion to the ocean. We are not landlocked, I'll tell you that."

I remember hearing a couple samples from waking life at a trance party, the crayons, and the idea that we're in a living dream, and can do whatever we want. These truths come to us from time to time, then we fall back to "reality". Such movies (or samples from them in a track) can be a timely reminder of our infinite potential - which this amnesiac reality often distracts us from.

Edited by The Dude

i guess i should watch this movie...

the dude reminds me to watch more jarmusch films, dead man was um... fucking amazing. enjoyed coffee & cigarettes and ghost dog too