The Corroboree

Hi Guys,

I don't know who has had the chance to see this amazing piece of cinematography but it is a real eye opener. A MUST SEE

• Like 2

hmm, my curiosity is sufficiently piqued, thanks!

yeah it's great. i've seen it like 15x and it still hasn't lost its shine :wink:

this is one of my fave scenes:

i actually use waking life as a litmus test for girls i'm considering having as girlfriends: if they don't like it, then they'll never get what i'm on about so what's the point in bothering?

is that totally retarded of me and simply a self-sabotaging attempt to create obstacles that prevent people from ever getting close to me, or is there a twisted logic to this?

• Like 1

waking life is a good movie indeed. have it somewhere,..... thx for sparking my interest in it again,... want to watch it again now as I seem to remember so little of it right now/

before sunrise is another Linklater film that's pretty good for what it is.. where the julie delphy and ethan ?, scene about timothy leary comes from

• Like 1

YES!!! this is one of the greatest movies I have ever seen in my life it made me realise how amazing dreams can be and how much I would love to have a lucid one.

got my hands on both to bad waking life was in another language

scanner darkly was a very good movie definatley recomended

i actually use waking life as a litmus test for girls i'm considering having as girlfriends: if they don't like it, then they'll never get what i'm on about so what's the point in bothering?

is that totally retarded of me and simply a self-sabotaging attempt to create obstacles that prevent people from ever getting close to me, or is there a twisted logic to this?

The logic is explained in your post - you use it to test potential mates to see if they understand something that is psychologically close to you.

Is it self-sabotaging? Probably. Scientists apparently say that contrary to popular belief, opposites can make very good couples, at least in some areas. You don't want someone who's just like you and gets the world in the "exact" same way as you, because then you might not grow as much and subtle differences might become barriers or some shit. I don't know. I think it's a bit hardcore. If she smells good and u get on well, if you can share without value judgement then go for it bro. Factor in whatever variables are important to you in a rational way, artistic preference (not complete lack of integrity) isn't a very important factor, to me at least..

I cant remember which comedian said it, but to test a potential partner, look for a bookshelf. If they dont read, run away!

I cant remember which comedian said it, but to test a potential partner, look for a bookshelf. If they dont read, run away!

Yes, locate bookshelf,,, but the contents of that bookshelf is important, if they are books about psychcopathic killers or worse still, Mills and Boon... then run !

• Like 1

The logic is explained in your post - you use it to test potential mates to see if they understand something that is psychologically close to you.

Is it self-sabotaging? Probably. Scientists apparently say that contrary to popular belief, opposites can make very good couples, at least in some areas. You don't want someone who's just like you and gets the world in the "exact" same way as you, because then you might not grow as much and subtle differences might become barriers or some shit. I don't know. I think it's a bit hardcore. If she smells good and u get on well, if you can share without value judgement then go for it bro. Factor in whatever variables are important to you in a rational way, artistic preference (not complete lack of integrity) isn't a very important factor, to me at least..

i think i agree

me and my girlfriend are very different definately opposites in alot of ways

and i love her more than anything we get along very well it will be 5 yrs together very soon and i couldnt be happier with who im with :)

oposites definately attract we both have alot of different interests but both accept each other for that and its great :)

in my opinion if you had a partner that was to much alike it probably wouldnt really work out well

Scientists apparently say that contrary to popular belief, opposites can make very good couples, at least in some areas. You don't want someone who's just like you and gets the world in the "exact" same way as you, because then you might not grow as much and subtle differences might become barriers or some shit.

i strongly believe in the concept of opposite attraction, but i add a qualifer... "opposites attract, but in a different way" ... the opposite of a lovely person is a cunt. the opposite of a right wing neo-con is a marxist cunt. although i'm sure it happens, i don't think couplings typically end up that way. i think it's similar interests, but different personality disposition. artist and scientist, but into the same things. i'm naturally drawn to arty types, cos i must've been dropped on that part of my head at birth. but they sure as hell have gotta be left wing libertarian. from memory, one of the best predictors of getting married to someone is simply how far away they live from you :wink:

re: waking life, i don't see it as being about artist preference. it's more a presentation of a bunch of metaphysical, religious, political and scientific ideas and if at the end of the film, a girl was to say to me, "that film did absolutely nothing for me" then i don't think she could vaguely approach the core of who i am as a person. we could certainly be friends, but i don't think i'd want to insert my elephantine penis into her vagina.

actually, i probably still would, but i sure as hell wouldn't snuggle afterwards.

anyone heard of the door test? :P

• Like 5

i strongly believe in the concept of opposite attraction, but i add a qualifer... "opposites attract, but in a different way" ... the opposite of a lovely person is a cunt. the opposite of a right wing neo-con is a marxist cunt. although i'm sure it happens, i don't think couplings typically end up that way. i think it's similar interests, but different personality disposition. artist and scientist, but into the same things. i'm naturally drawn to arty types, cos i must've been dropped on that part of my head at birth. but they sure as hell have gotta be left wing libertarian. from memory, one of the best predictors of getting married to someone is simply how far away they live from you :wink:

re: waking life, i don't see it as being about artist preference. it's more a presentation of a bunch of metaphysical, religious, political and scientific ideas and if at the end of the film, a girl was to say to me, "that film did absolutely nothing for me" then i don't think she could vaguely approach the core of who i am as a person. we could certainly be friends, but i don't think i'd want to insert my elephantine penis into her vagina.

actually, i probably still would, but i sure as hell wouldn't snuggle afterwards.

anyone heard of the door test? :P

haha that was great once I get a car I am gunna defiantly try this :)

in my car i could simultaneously assess their problem-solving abilities. only the key can move the knob, but the interior handle can open the door.

that door test thing was awesome.

probably my best relationship was with a girl that superficially i had nothing in common with. however socially and intellectually we had a great deal in common. I always thought it was strange how we could be together whilst being so completely different though.

Waking Life is cool.. I only wish there was an HD version.

If you like A Scanner Darkly, be sure to check out Philip K. Dick's novels.

I agree with Faustus.. my wife and I are opposites in certain personality traits, like she is hardworking and gregarious while I am lazy and withdrawn. But we share similar ideologies with regards to ethics, politics and religion etc.

It makes for a combination where we are both able to bounce off each other and grow, without actually ending up angry and frustrated at each other all the time as I'm sure would happen if she was some kind of Sarah Palin fan.

Still after 12 years we have certainly had our share of difficulties, and times where we could have given up, but we look back on those now as times when in the end we grew the closest. I think any relationship requires hard work and a willingness to change to some degree from both parties.

Haha but this is about Waking Life what's with all the relationship advice.

Lucid dreams are awesome, it is what I aimagine it would be like to take psychedelics in a dream. Haven't had any actual lucid dreams for many years, but when I followed Stephen LaBerge's book on luciod dreaming when I was a teenager it triggered a number of them.. always have meant to go back and start doing that stuff again because it was pretty exciting!

"We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them." - John Waters

hmm, i'll come out and say it.

i watched about 20 minutes of this and basically found it pretentious and boring. hardly challenged my thinking at all, and some of the effects were trite and overdone.

• Like 1

so i guess that means i'll never be rooting faustus.

hmm, i'll come out and say it.

i watched about 20 minutes of this and basically found it pretentious and boring. hardly challenged my thinking at all, and some of the effects were trite and overdone.

i'm so glad you posted this. i withheld my opinion because i haven't watched it all the way through, but what you said was the gist of it. maybe we need to watch it all the way through?

some things seem like garbage at first, like the spirit molecule doco, but you keep watching and there are some good bits to counterbalance the garbage bits.

maybe we need to watch it all the way through?

hey thunder, will ya, for dear ole faustypoo?

It's definitely pretentious, but trippy. The conversations are very annoying at times. There are some good parts.

The style of animation was quite innovative for its day, and they definitely captured a dream-like quality for me.

But don't let it put you off Linklater's version of Philip K. Dicks A Scanner Darkly (in HD)

Edited by chilli

But don't let it put you off Linklater's version of Philip K. Dicks A Scanner Darkly (in HD)

Yeah, i am not a fan of Waking Life, but i did catch about 25 minutes of A Scanner Darkly the other night, and it caught my attention. I now want to see the whole movie.

Edited by Amazonian