The Corroboree
chilli

Caterpillar on cacti

To my dismay I found a TINY green caterpillar on my newly acquired grafted button cacti.. as small as it was, it had managed to do a bit of damage, chewing some holes in a few of the pups.

Any recommendations of ways I can prevent this happening again, and if I should do anything to prevent rot or similar on the cacti?

Thanks.

Edited by chilli

The wound is not the problem. Quarantine from the other cacti. Watch the cactus for one or two months and if there arent more of the caterpillars, its alright. Dont think its a serious pest but i already had some plants that were suddenly covered with large amounts of caterpillars. If you have something like this happening in your greenhouse, your in serious trouble. So dont put it to the others to make sure. bye Eg

rip, my thoughts are with you and the casualties.

The holes are very small, but I am still worried about it as it's my first button cactus.. they are so soft! No wonder this little tiny caterpillar like them!

Edited by chilli

Yeah holes will probably heal if you keep the loph in a warm place. As long as the bug didnt put some eggs in there, all is fine.

Fingers crossed.. I think it is a lucky caterpillar (well unlucky after I squashed it) that made his way from somewhere else, so I'm hoping no eggs..

dust your affected plants and their surrounding topsoil with diatomaceous earth

smells like sulfar dust time, no water until its stable, quarantine.

Any ideas of where I would find diatomaceous earth? I am in WA..

I bought "sulphur" from Bunnings but when i got it home found it is granular and impossible to dust on.. where would I go to get sulphur dust (or I suppose I could just crush this up?)

crush it up and snort,... uhhh I mean dust ur cactus!

Any ideas of where I would find diatomaceous earth? I am in WA..

I bought "sulphur" from Bunnings but when i got it home found it is granular and impossible to dust on.. where would I go to get sulphur dust (or I suppose I could just crush this up?)

Tomato dust works

as eatfoo says any of the tomato dust products should nail it. just don't read what it does as it is a horrible death lol. When I grew commercial amounts of chilli this stuff was a god send during certain months.

Hey there, as for the bunning sulphur, get a nylon stocking and put a wad of the dust in there then just dab it onto the wound, dusts up fine if u can get contact with the wound. Cheers.