The Corroboree
myco

splitting loph graft, makes a comeback :)

hey guys i got this grafted loph a while back

it had a split in it when i got it i wasnt worried i knew it had a split and pretty much got it for nothing

from a generous member on here :)

about a month ago i tried to chop out some of the orange rot it had in the split

unfortunately it got a little bit more rot on it again anyway not as much as wat it had

but the problem is it goes right down to the core of the loph now so i really cant cut anymore out

it looks like it should be ok anyway

the real problem is that its splitting more and more i've kept it out of any direct sunlight and limited watering to next to nothing to try and slow down its growth but it just wont stop growing and the split is getting worse and worse

and its even now showing some small splits on the opposite side of the large split

i'm now wondering if i would be better off to try and degraft it

wat do you guys think ???

heres some pics

gallery_7473_420_452875.jpg

gallery_7473_420_44704.jpg

gallery_7473_420_283649.jpg

gallery_7473_420_511829.jpg

gallery_7473_420_417206.jpg

Edited by myco

hi myco :)

when the one below was yungr it was exhibiting the same symtoms, ie splitting , reddness .........instead of digging in i sulphered it with a few dustings and then it came back. as you can see, some red is still there, but i kept it out of the rain, away from high humidity and then the splitting started to throw out pups evrywhere. i'm no cacto experto but too much love can sometimes be a gardners downfall. i'm sure the more cactophilic amongst us will set the stats straight for you.

post-4664-0-65667200-1325055112_thumb.jp

dec202011 007.jpg

dec202011 007.jpg

• Like 1

thanks

that gives me some hope

i'd love it if it did that haha :)

i might just have to wait it out and see wat happens

Totally agree with ET myco... so easy to love them to death !

Chuck it in a nice, dry, well lit corner and let it be for a month or two.

my bet is it will come good !

thanks tipz

yeh i'll definately just leave him be and see wat happens

hopefully he heals up an then pumps out a bunch of pups that would be nice :)

so happy this little guy has finally started to come good :)

thanks guys im glad i took your advice and left it alone

the split stopped over winter as the growth slowed down and just in the last couple of months it started pupping like crazy

wich i assume will mean the split should stop getting any worse all together

as it should start putting all its growth into the pups rather than the main head correct ?

heres the pics :)

the first one is from 2 months ago when it began

and the rest are from today

gallery_7473_420_245999.jpg

gallery_7473_420_76353.jpg

gallery_7473_420_268917.jpg

gallery_7473_420_565137.jpg

gallery_7473_420_141239.jpg

• Like 4

I've never treated any splits with anything and the red I don't think is rot as it never rots, it's just a colour. Seems harmless to me. Eventually it flakes off as the cactus grows and sheds skin from that scar.

Peace

• Like 2

Dont think the red on the scar is anything of significance either. Looks like enzymatic activity. But i dont like the color of the epidermis on the main head. Looks like it has spidermites too. New growth usually doesnt show signs of it as they take a while to eat out the green. The Loph deals with it pretty good and is in a good health due to good nutrient availability but you should use a lens to check the whole cactus for mites as it would re-infect the one you mentioned in the other thread. You can additionally spray it with water and check if theres a fine web. bye Eg

• Like 1

the red thats left over now that you can still see is just scaring and has been slowly getting better and better

it did intially have a huge amount of rot happening in the split

i had already cut it out in the first pics and covered it in sulphur and stopped the rot

you can see the red scarring is looking alot better now in the last pics compared to in the first pics

i was going to ask about the discolouration i was wondering about mites with this one to EG

it did this quite some time ago but doesnt seem to have gotten any worse for a long time

i'll give this one some metho and sulphur treatment aswell :)

thats wat EG and other people said to use for mites

thats wat ive got on hand so i'll give it a go

Yes it sounds harsh but i use it on all my plants without having lost one because of it. I even use it on seedlings. On the other hand i lost a lot plants to spidermites. Desperate times, desperate measures. They are extremely hardy and cant be completely wiped out with sulfur. It helps against em and reduces their population but if you have a large collection, its better to make sure. They can kill seedlings pretty easily by causing rot and these days i try to get rid of them before they can become a problem.

ahh good to know EG i was going to ask about using it on smaller ones

i have a few seedlings here that are only about 1cm and less across wich look like they may have been hit by them to

bloody mites i'll kill em all :devil:

Yeah but be careful about tags that are written with anything but a pencil. The alcohol dissolves the whole writing within a few seconds.

• Like 1

i'll keep that in mind collections getting to out of control to have names start dissapearing :)

My loph has started to split... I'm going to stop watering it ASAP. Do they frequently recover? I don't want to degraft it so I can see what happens but I also don't want to lose this plant. Advice?

It should be ok but if you are concerned make sure you keep it dry as you want it to heal ( callus ) as fast as possible. You could dust it with sulfur now or see how it goes but any sign of rot definitely dust with sulfur.

Cheers

Got

I do not have access to sulphur... I've used cinnamon in the past for flat cuttings but I've never had a plant split on me... It started small so I wasn't worried but it has grown quite a bit.

I don't think there is any thing you can do now to stop it from splitting more if you have stopped watering it so you will have to wait it out.

I have no idea about using cinnamon but I do know sulfur powder has saved a number of my cuttings and plants when they were being consumed by rot.

Cheers

Got

I split an Echinopsis on own roots nearly in half last year and it still kept on going. Started as a small split so I kept it dry for a while but every time I watered it after that it just split more and more. But since I kept the split surface dry it just callused over and never rotted.

Yeah but be careful about tags that are written with anything but a pencil. The alcohol dissolves the whole writing within a few seconds.

NOOO, use permanent markers which contain xylene so u can sniff to get high on :P I like copper or aluminium labels that when u write o nthem it is indented, so even if the pen/pencil dissappears, u can still clearly read it. I make aluminium tags from soft drink cans and sizzors.

Peace